INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tagging and moving issues  (Read 7900 times)

phill1978

• Recent member
Tagging and moving issues
« on: January 22, 2012, 05:09:43 am »

had previously given up on media center 17 and removed it even though it was a superior player. The reason i did is happening again, perhaps it my lack of understanding but why do i get error messages about tagging and moving files as they are already in use or the permissions are incorrect? I have told the player NOT to tag, NOT to use 'folder.jpg' as a default image for music without covers. I still see media center using the same cover for certain files over and over again, on going into a different music program and re-tagging the tracks with a new cover image and making sure the tagged file isn't labelled as 'folder.jpg' this sometimes works but not always? it can still happen when i look at the alternative music players label it sometime is completely different in name?

furthermore i'm paranoid about this moving and tagging of files, Ive used players in the past that have auto over written my custom cover art with low quality images and changed the way i like to have my folder structures. I simply want to (and have set MC17 this way) to import a folder area C:\users\music and play the tracks

the message i get on accesing music is:

Tagging Error
Media Center encountered errors while tagging and moving files. check that the files exist, are not read-only,and are not in user by other programs
(then displays the tracks)

my music is read only, on purpose to stop unintentional deletion for a start. If MC17 wants to move the files where exactly would it move them too? I also have backup file synchronization from set folders to network drives so moving files is not possible

please answer this as simply as possible.

Vincent Kars

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Tagging and moving issues
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 05:24:36 am »

Let me guess, you have been using WMP12 (resizing cover art to an impressive 200*200!).

Have look here: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=69265.msg467004#msg467004

phill1978

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 05:45:57 am »

Let me guess, you have been using WMP12 (resizing cover art to an impressive 200*200!).

Have look here: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=69265.msg467004#msg467004

i use Media Monkey as its intuitive cover system works every time although it does generally call the files 'folder.jpg' i change this now so as to avoid any problems.  the largest cover art i have is 2486 x 2490 ! but generally they are random in size and around 800 x 600 level for looking crisp on my projector and for future proof with ultra-high resolution displays.

the file type is typically FLAC

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 06:22:45 am »

I have told the player NOT to tag, NOT to use 'folder.jpg' as a default image for music without covers. I still see media center using the same cover for certain files over and over again, on going into a different music program ...
MC will use an image if it's stored with multiple audio tracks, and the tracks have no other image associated with them.

The tagging problem is probably related to the fact that you've stored the files as read only.

phill1978

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 07:08:11 am »

will MC17 ever 'move' files though

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2012, 07:25:58 am »

It will never move files unless you tell it to.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2012, 07:29:07 am »

will MC17 ever 'move' files though

As Jim said, not fully automatically, i.e. not without a user action. "Media Center encountered errors while tagging and moving files" is a generic error message.

To JRiver: it would be better to change the wording to "Media Center encountered errors while tagging or moving files" or perhaps program MC to be able to show one of the following more precise error messages: "...tagging files", "...moving files", and "...tagging and moving files". Of course the last one should be displayed only when both error conditions apply.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2012, 07:40:00 am »

had previously given up on media center 17 and removed it even though it was a superior player. The reason i did is happening again, perhaps it my lack of understanding but why do i get error messages about tagging and moving files as they are already in use or the permissions are incorrect? I have told the player NOT to tag, NOT to use 'folder.jpg' as a default image for music without covers. I still see media center using the same cover for certain files over and over again, on going into a different music program and re-tagging the tracks with a new cover image and making sure the tagged file isn't labelled as 'folder.jpg' this sometimes works but not always? it can still happen when i look at the alternative music players label it sometime is completely different in name?

furthermore i'm paranoid about this moving and tagging of files, Ive used players in the past that have auto over written my custom cover art with low quality images and changed the way i like to have my folder structures. I simply want to (and have set MC17 this way) to import a folder area C:\users\music and play the tracks

the message i get on accesing music is:

Tagging Error
Media Center encountered errors while tagging and moving files. check that the files exist, are not read-only,and are not in user by other programs
(then displays the tracks)

my music is read only, on purpose to stop unintentional deletion for a start. If MC17 wants to move the files where exactly would it move them too? I also have backup file synchronization from set folders to network drives so moving files is not possible

The following reply from another thread might help.

Unchecking the Edit > Update Tags When File Info Changes or Tools > Options > General > Importing and Tagging > Update tags when file info changes option disables all tag writing (the same option can be accessed in both places).

If you want to disable only unattended tag editing that may happen in background, but would still like to be able to do small intended textual tag changes, uncheck:

- Tools > Options > Library & Folders > Auto-Import > Configure auto-import... > Tasks > Analyze Audio  (this analyzes the imported files for Replay Gain & BPM and writes the corresponding tags to the files)

- Tools > Options > Library & Folders > Auto-Import > Configure auto-import... > Tasks > Get cover art  (this searches cover art from an online database and by default embeds the downloaded cover art images to the files)

In addition you may want to set MC to use only external cover art. Uncheck:

- Tools > Options > File Location > Cover Art > Also store image in the file's tag
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

phill1978

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2012, 08:56:25 am »

Many thanks Alex B and i agree the wording is wrong it implies that MC17 is moving files to different folders.

I don't like that the same image is used if the track does not have a tag, id much prefer the whole program by default to just show a default system picture like the musical note.

for the other help: MC will use an image if it's stored with multiple audio tracks, and the tracks have no other image associated with them.

The tagging problem is probably related to the fact that you've stored the files as read only.

again, i don't want it to try so hard. Im happy for any track that has no image associated to use a default system icon.

phill1978

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2012, 09:45:18 am »

Also noticed on exit of MC17 it trys to tag remaining files?

I DO NOT WANT ANY TAGGING  :-[

well im sorry to say ive tried with this programs and the tips but its intent on placing pictures where they shouldn't be and trying to auto tag. It reminds me of a player called winamp, it too did this many many years ago and i gave up on that too.

shame, why on earth is there not a large button or option on installation that turns any form of folder picture tagging OFF, full stop?

MrHaugen

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2012, 10:31:28 am »

There is perfectly fine ways of doing what you want, but you have to accept that some sort of adjustment is needed. This app has solutions for almost anything, and I would bet my arm that you also can cope with the changes. You obviously have no intention on using the player as it should be used or to change your normal way of working with the media, so why bother trying to help?

Good luck finding a better player.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2012, 10:41:07 am »

The pictures that you're so upset about are probably not in the tag.  Find a track that has one, right click, then use the Library Tool Locate feature to find it on your disk in explorer.  Look for image files in that directory.  One of them is probably being used when the track is dispayed.
Pages: [1]   Go Up