INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: No Bit Perfect Audio Output [Solved]  (Read 3898 times)

linus-mo

• Recent member
No Bit Perfect Audio Output [Solved]
« on: January 27, 2012, 04:27:05 pm »

I have MC17 and windows 7 using wasapi in exclusive mode and a musical fidelity V link feeding my dac.

In all but 2 listening sessions, I get 48k digital output even when these are cds ripped at 44.1k.

I have been through my settings multiple times and haven't changed anything.

I also can't play 24/96 withiut stuttering and skipping. I bought a new computer for the sole purpose of using it as a music server to make listening to music easier. Help!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: No BIT PERFECT Audio Output
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 04:42:26 pm »

There are several topics on the wiki that may help.  You could start here:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Audio_Setup

Welcome to the forum.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 06:24:53 pm »

You're probably resampling in MC's DSP somehow.  Check under Player -> DSP Studio and make sure the output format is set to leave 44.1kHz alone.

Or a device downstream from the PC is mucking with the signal.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

jimmy neutron

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 08:42:27 pm »

Also make sure your Windows Properties settings aren't set to upsample all sounds to 48k. Check it by Right Clicking on the "Speaker" in the lower right of the task bar, then make sure your default PLAYBACK device is your V-LINK, if not, make it your DEFAULT. Click on PROPERTIES and then SUPPORTED FORMATS. Select the rates you want to use - in your case 44.1. ( I check all of them because I have music in different rates ).

In MC go to TOOLS > OPTIONS > AUDIO. Select the WASAPI you want to use. In OUTPUT MODE SETTINGS make sure your V-LINK is the device listed. Then go to DSP & OUTPUT FORMAT. Select under BITDEPTH "Source Bitdepth". Then under CHANNELS sellect "Source numbr of channels", or if you will be using your player as stricly a 2 chanel playback system select 2.1 (if you have a subwoofer) or 2.0 if in stereo.

You should be done. Save everything and pay your music again. If your stereo reciever is set to play back files in the modes that you want then you are OK.

Also, I also have a V-LINK in my system. Be aware that the V-LINK will upsample all 44.1 to 44 internally. I don't know if this is by design or a fluke. Many other users have reported the same thing. Sound quality is still better than a Meridian SooLoos so don't worry about any musical loss of detail.

Jimmy
Custom PC based music systems and information panels....really.
www.jdsmarthome.com

linus-mo

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012, 10:36:31 am »

I have rechecked my settings so many times that they are intruding into my dreams. When I check my signal path it shows that it is outputting a 24/44.1 direct signal. On 2 listening sessions my CTSSP has shown it is getting a 44k signal. If the V-link always converts to 48k, that shouldn't happen. Sometimes (like now) it is leaving the sample rate blank. I am currently on the free trial period and I am not sure if I would purchase the Media Center. The user interface is harder to use than the Windows Media player (smaller text and a tiny box to set up a playlist in as well as simply not being as intuitive to use) and I can't say it sounds any better. Although I appreciate the responses to my concerns, I think that turning user problems over to other users who seem to be having a lot of different problems is a general lack of support by JRiver. I am not sure where my problems in my system are but they are not in my settings.

linus-mo

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 07:01:52 pm »

I found the problem with the "lack" of bit perfect playback. It was not the signal coming out of the v-link but my dac was showing the wrong sample rate. It also showed a 48k signal from a cd player that does not upsample. I swithced to another dac and everything is perfect. I still get skipping and stuttering on 24/96 material whether it be the ripped version or the original disc. My settings are as suggested to other with the same problem. Any further suggestions?

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2012, 07:57:22 pm »

Lower the output buffer.

linus-mo

• Recent member
Re: No Bit Perfect Audio Output
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2012, 08:06:08 pm »

I tried it at 0 and .25; still no listenable music. shorter skips and grungy.

Scolex

• MC Beta Team
  • Cheers
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2012, 08:14:48 pm »

Does "play files from memory instead of disk (not zone specific)" in options-->audio help?
What output format are you using?
Sean

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2012, 08:15:43 pm »

Try the Wiki topic called "Audio Output".  Try WASAPI (both kinds), ASIO, and Kernel Streaming.

linus-mo

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2012, 12:24:27 pm »

I am using WASAPI in exclusive mode with no change to the 96k format set to 24 bit output.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2012, 12:27:37 pm »

linus-mo

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2012, 07:37:36 pm »

WASAPI-event style fixed the problem.I now play 24/96 perfectly. Thanks so much for all your input.
Pages: [1]   Go Up