INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: V17: Why are all my 24/96 files suddenly unplayable? [Not Solved]  (Read 1361 times)

Vocalpoint

• Citizen of the Universe

Morning,

Last weekend - I did a whole upgrade of all machines from v16 to v17 of MC and now none of my 24/96 files can now be played. MC throws this error:

I use WASAPI on all machines in Windows 7 Professional and have looked at the Output Format dialog for a long while - I can't seem to see what I am doing wrong. All these files played fine on v16.

Q: Is this message implying that v17 wants to down sample my 24/96 tracks to 44100 - because the hardware cannot handle native 24/96? And does this also mean that v16 was downsampling as well and I have never actually heard my tracks at 24/96?

My current settings under Sample Rate are all set to No Change and the Bitdepth is at 24. Appreciate any tips on what's going on

Cheers!

VP

Vocalpoint

Re: V17: Why are all my 24/96 files suddenly unplayable?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2012, 12:19:20 pm »

Hmm...seems if I give the hardware "exclusive" access...it's all good. Don't remember having to do that previously...but if it works...

Cheers,

VP

audioriver

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012, 03:17:45 pm »

I think that if exclusive mode is unselected, playback depends on your sound settings (Control Panel/Hardware and Sound/Sound/Playback device properties/Advanced)
Windows 10 Pro x64

Vocalpoint

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2012, 03:46:59 pm »

I think that if exclusive mode is unselected, playback depends on your sound settings (Control Panel/Hardware and Sound/Sound/Playback device properties/Advanced)

Yep....that's it. If I take that check off - the error immediately returns. I checked my audio hardware and under Properties->Default Format (for the High Definition Audio Device) - it's set to:

24Bit, 44100 (Studio Quality)

when running in shared mode. So that makes complete sense that if MC does not have exclusive access - it posts an error when trying to send 24/96 down to hardware that's set to 24/44.1

Cheers!

VP

Vocalpoint

V17: Why are all my 24/96 files suddenly unplayable? (RME Multiface)
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 07:15:17 am »

Morning,

When I started this thread - I was reporting issues playing 24/96 FLAC files on my basic desktop PC using the internal motherboard audio interface. That was solved.

Now - MC 17.0.82 is giving me the same grief but in a different room. This PC uses the RME Multiface II with an ASIO driver interface. When I load up MC on this PC and load the local library - I have no problems playing any FLAC file that is 16/44. But as soon as I attempt to play a FLAC that is 24/96 - MC seems to freeze - the song freezes and no sound is produced.

I can replicate this behavior with MC using the ASIO output mode or WASAPI (in plain and event style modes). All my settings in the Windows audio control (Speaker icon) are identical to those on my desktop machine. MC has exclusive access to the device.

Finally - if I bring a 24/96 wav or FLAC file into Wavelab (using the supplied RME ASIO driver)- it plays with no issues via the RME interface. The RME tray applet shows a sample rate of 96000 using the Internal clock bit rate.

So - MC seems to have an issue with this interface - but only at 24/96. Ideas?

VP
Pages: [1]   Go Up