INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Internal Volume Control, Bit Perfect, and Audio Quality  (Read 3184 times)

cycler2

• Recent member
Internal Volume Control, Bit Perfect, and Audio Quality
« on: February 01, 2012, 06:08:49 pm »

If I use the "internal volume control" with WASAPI Event Style, will that compromise bit perfect playback and audio quality in Media Center 16 or 17?  I've searched the forums, but found no post that directly address that question.  (I've found posts that state, generally, for example. "The internal volume control is done at 64 bits.  It's a high quality digital volume adjustment.")  But there's no explanation of that statement and I'd like to understand what's going on.  How is my 16 or 24 bit data being processed at 64 bits and what is the effect of truncating the 64 bits with the internal volume control.  Sorry if this question has been answered elsewhere; I just can't find the post.

On the upside, The "internal volume control" works perfectly for me; I can even use the "My River" remote to adjust the volume.  But I don't want to use it if I'm throwing away bits and adversely affecting sound quality. 

Rich

cycler2

• Recent member
Re: Internal Volume Control, Bit Perfect, and Audio Quality
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 03:01:18 pm »

Anybody?  Matt or Jim? 

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 03:41:17 pm »

In theory MC's internal volume control is of a higher quality than any analog volume control can ever be. Measuring this is quite impossible because there is no reference. The analog side is what it is. I.e. you cannot have a reference version of the same preamp/receiver/mixer/etc that would play at the same volume level when the volume control circuit is bypassed.

mojave has posted a nice explanation of how the digital volume control works and what happens to the bits: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=67941.msg457108#msg457108

In general, you shouldn't worry too much about the bits when you are listening to the music. Usually there is enough of them. If you don't hear any problems why would you not use what is convenient for you. In any case the outputted music is not stored anywhere. The audio files will remain intact.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

mbagge

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 04:47:21 pm »

If the thought of bits being manipulated in the DSP, volume control or in the soundcard is unthinkable, the only option you have is to bypass all that an do dlna streaming.
Or, as Alex says, lean back - trust your ears and enjoy.  :D

cycler2

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 08:21:18 pm »

Thanks for your responses Alex B and mbagge.  I'll check out the link.  Relaxing and enjoying the music is good advice.  But the audiophile in me wants to be confident that I'm hearing all the music.  I suppose the "life is too short" maxim controls here.
Rich
Pages: [1]   Go Up