INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hypex Amps  (Read 10719 times)

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
Hypex Amps
« on: January 24, 2013, 09:54:51 pm »

I'm looking for a new project and could use a low distortion power amp.  Does anyone here have any experience with the Hypex line of DIY Amps?  The specs look astonishingly good for a power amp (high power and some have THD+N's in the ten-thousandths of percent), and they're not super expensive (compared to similarly rated amps of course).  Does anyone have any first-hand experience with them?  Any things to watch out for? 

hulkss

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Hypex Amps
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 10:15:22 pm »

I have 16 channels of these:
http://classdaudio.com

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 10:30:36 pm »

I have 16 channels of these:
http://classdaudio.com

I actually looked at the class D Audio amps and wrote a couple of E-mails to the contact address on their site a few months back with some questions about the specs and he never answered me.  I wasn't sure if he was still in business.  The Hypex folks are significantly more willing to discuss things, so that's part of why I was looking more seriously at their modules.

How do you like them?  Are they as low noise as the specs say?  Do you think they're better than the Hypex's?

hulkss

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 06:49:42 pm »

The classDaudio amps are the quietest amps I have owned. I have them connected directly to horn compression drivers which are very efficient. Can't comment on Hypex as I have no experience with them. If I was going Hypex I would get these:
http://www.hypex.nl/product/2012-11-23-13-41-35/nc400.html
http://www.hypex.nl/docs/papers/ncore%20wp.pdf

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 07:15:00 pm »

The classDaudio amps are the quietest amps I have owned. I have them connected directly to horn compression drivers which are very efficient. Can't comment on Hypex as I have no experience with them. If I was going Hypex I would get these:
http://www.hypex.nl/product/2012-11-23-13-41-35/nc400.html
http://www.hypex.nl/docs/papers/ncore%20wp.pdf

Those are a bit out of my price range, but I'm very glad to hear yours are so low noise, as I'm running horn-loaded compression drivers as well.  You just answered one big question about class D amps generally :-)  

Thanks!

aliaswolf

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2013, 06:37:06 am »

Since two weeks a pair of NCore400 & SPMS600 replaced my beloved Audio Research Classic 120 Monos as the amp for the mid-/high-section of my Genesis 2.5 speakers. The Hypex amp-set costs around 1.200€ incl tax and fright. A set of tubes for my ARCs cost something like 800€. They need to be replaced every 2.000h. >:(
So I can highly recommend the Ncores. In my opinion they are a real bargain.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2013, 09:32:09 am »

Since two weeks a pair of NCore400 & SPMS600 replaced my beloved Audio Research Classic 120 Monos as the amp for the mid-/high-section of my Genesis 2.5 speakers. The Hypex amp-set costs around 1.200€ incl tax and fright. A set of tubes for my ARCs cost something like 800€. They need to be replaced every 2.000h. Angry
So I can highly recommend the Ncores. In my opinion they are a real bargain.

I'm glad they live up to the hype.  They look amazing and if money were no object, I'd probably be looking hard at them right now.  Unfortunately I don't have an $1600 budget for my amp replacement project at the moment.  I'm looking at a pair of the UCD 400HG's (also made by Hypex) with an SMPS400 (which will bring me in under $600 for a two channel amp).  Their distortion specs aren't as good as the NCore, but are still pretty impressive: http://www.hypex.nl/docs/UcD400HG_datasheet.pdf

I currently need six channels of amplification, so I figured that if the two UCDs knock my socks off with their performance and noise, I may start saving for the NCore for subsequent amp replacements.  If they're less than impressive, I'll probably switch to the Class D Audio amps, which are much cheaper overall, and ship from closer to home.  I'll report back  once I've got a project going.

kiwi

• Don't worry, be happy...
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2013, 05:19:08 am »

I've been looking at the hypex too. I think that you can cut the price with the nCores down slightly if you go with only one power supply.  You can always add a second later.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2013, 08:07:56 am »

I've been looking at the hypex too. I think that you can cut the price with the nCores down slightly if you go with only one power supply.  You can always add a second later.

I currently have a pair of UcD 400HGs sitting in my workroom waiting to be wired up, so the ship has sailed on the Ncores for the time being.  I've got to do some machining on my aluminum case first, but I've got all the bits I need to wire them up.  I did go with one power supply, in part to keep costs down, and in part because the single power supply is actually rated to provide both channels with more than 3/4 of the maximum power needed for their full rated output. 

And I don't need anything like the rated power out of them.  With full power, the UcD's put out 280 watts a channel into 8 Ohms, and I'll be using them with a 95 dB/1 watt sensitivity speaker.  I have a pretty small room, and 280 watts would give me 20 dB of overhead at an average listening level of 100 dB  :o  I think I can live with slightly less than that.

I'll post some pics once I get them wired, I'm really excited to hear them.     

kiwi

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2013, 02:45:51 pm »

I'm excited to hear about the results.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2013, 06:55:20 pm »

So I just finished building my first Hypex amplifier: a low-watt model to drive my very sensitive compression drivers.  I posted a longish post about over in this thread: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=78671.msg548694#msg548694

I just wanted to cross-post in case anyone over here was interested in the results.

kiwi

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2013, 03:50:36 pm »

Thanks for the update...

I'll be posting a similar update when my nc400s arrive =D

GreggP

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Re: Re: Hypex Amps
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2015, 04:47:18 pm »

Thanks for the update...

I'll be posting a similar update when my nc400s arrive =D

Anything to report?

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2015, 05:19:50 pm »

FWIW, I'm still happily using the Hypex UcD amps I built.  They're fantastic, rock solid, and have never given me the slightest complaint.  If you have any specific questions I'm happy to chat, although I can't speak to the NC400's at all.

GreggP

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Re: Re: Hypex Amps
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2015, 06:16:14 pm »

FWIW, I'm still happily using the Hypex UcD amps I built.  They're fantastic, rock solid, and have never given me the slightest complaint.  If you have any specific questions I'm happy to chat, although I can't speak to the NC400's at all.

I've been using UcD amps for a very long time and am very satisfied as well, but was curious to hear an update on the NC400s.

One of my UcD400ADs has failed, so I'm keeping an eye out for another UcD400AD on the used market.

notred

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2015, 08:08:21 pm »

I personally got 2 nCore on my BW 805di since around a year now. Run like a charm. Transparent and no power issues...

kiwi

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2015, 12:58:40 am »

I personally got 2 nCore on my BW 805di since around a year now. Run like a charm. Transparent and no power issues...

They are great, aren't they.

adiebear

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2015, 04:23:27 pm »

I have just (yesterday) changed my Hypex monoblocks from ucd400 to NCore400. Luckily for me insurance paid (long dirty power story) and a friend did the work.
It was worth the long wait (Ncore bits aren't always in stock).
The ucd version was great, heavy with heatsinks and toroidals etc.
The new amps are certainly better, weigh a lot less and still have some break-in time (I am told 2-300 hours!) in which time they will get smoother and open up. I'm happy with them as they are.
Is it a huge difference? I can't say as I have also (luckily) acquired a few other nice bits, but I can say that valve pre/DAC with Hypex power is oh so good- the smoothness of tubes with the control of digital.
Very fast transitions/ dynamics, especially noticeable listening to complex orchestral pieces. Very transparent and quite neutral- ie no colouration.
 ;D indeed.
Lenovo Tiny>Audioquest Jitterbug>Cary Audio DAC100t>Modwright LS100 pre>Hypex Ncore monoblocks>Eminent Technology LFT8B's and Vandersteen 2Wq subs. Cardas/Audiomica cables

GreggP

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Re: Hypex Amps
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2015, 07:44:47 pm »

I have just (yesterday) changed my Hypex monoblocks from ucd400 to NCore400. Luckily for me insurance paid (long dirty power story) and a friend did the work.
It was worth the long wait (Ncore bits aren't always in stock).
The ucd version was great, heavy with heatsinks and toroidals etc.
The new amps are certainly better, weigh a lot less and still have some break-in time (I am told 2-300 hours!) in which time they will get smoother and open up. I'm happy with them as they are.
Is it a huge difference? I can't say as I have also (luckily) acquired a few other nice bits, but I can say that valve pre/DAC with Hypex power is oh so good- the smoothness of tubes with the control of digital.
Very fast transitions/ dynamics, especially noticeable listening to complex orchestral pieces. Very transparent and quite neutral- ie no colouration.
 ;D indeed.
What are you going to do with your old UCDs?

adiebear

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2015, 02:11:38 am »

They're spoken for Gregg (along with heatsinks, toroidals, power supplies and damaged FETs). The guy I bought the amps from will salvage what's useable or repairable.

If ever there was a recommendation for Hypex, he is a good example. He is owner of a hi-fi retail and installation business- and he's had various big name brands, but he would rather use Hypex for his home system.
Lenovo Tiny>Audioquest Jitterbug>Cary Audio DAC100t>Modwright LS100 pre>Hypex Ncore monoblocks>Eminent Technology LFT8B's and Vandersteen 2Wq subs. Cardas/Audiomica cables
Pages: [1]   Go Up