INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Thinking about a new monitor  (Read 3735 times)

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Thinking about a new monitor
« on: February 03, 2012, 10:06:58 am »

but don't know where to start.

I would want a 24" monitor, preferably one that incorporates a webcam/mic, and have better viewing angles than this thing I have now. I currently have an HP w2448hc. From the day I bought it, it had quite bad back light bleeding, but, as it was only really noticeable when the screen was (supposed) to be completely black, I kept on keeping on with it. The viewing angles are really tight on this monitor too. It's actually quite hard to get it in a position where the entire screen is viewable properly. It's square on with this thing, or nothing!

The back light bleeding is getting worse. I notice it more and more so figure it's time to start looking for a replacement. The problem for me is that I can't say to the guy in the store, "let me try it at home, and if it's OK, I'll buy it" and, feeling a little bit "stung" over this HP number, don't want to end up with another lemon.

Anyone got any recommendations for me?

-marko

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Thinking about a new monitor
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 10:13:45 am »

I would avoid getting a T/N panel.  The colors and viewing angles just aren't good.

Look for IPS, PVA, etc.

The Dell Ultrasharp monitors are good.  The 23" 1080p version uses around 25W while on and costs $250 on sale.  The 24" U2410 is nicer (better gamut, etc.), but is about twice the price.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Osho

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 10:29:11 am »

I would avoid getting a T/N panel.  The colors and viewing angles just aren't good.

Look for IPS, PVA, etc.

The Dell Ultrasharp monitors are good.  The 23" 1080p version uses around 25W while on and costs $250 on sale.  The 24" U2410 is nicer (better gamut, etc.), but is about twice the price.

I would second the recommendation for IPS. I found that U2410 was too expensive for my test. I went for Dell U2412M. It sells for $329 now but I have often seen it go as low as $299. Excellent monitor without breaking the bank.

Osho

Daydream

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 02:31:46 pm »

How about the 120Hz monitors? Do they help with video (less judder, less tricks to match framerates) and if yes by what degree - if anybody has any experience with them. Would one require less Videoclock work (at least for some video standards)?

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 10:44:37 am »

I would second the recommendation for IPS. I found that U2410 was too expensive for my test. I went for Dell U2412M. It sells for $329 now but I have often seen it go as low as $299. Excellent monitor without breaking the bank.

Osho
What's the back light bleed like on that monitor?
This looks awful... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77lHHafbJEw

FastKayak

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2012, 10:31:19 pm »

Picking an IPS monitor for me was a pain due to buying solely by reading reviews and hoping for (cross fingers) for the best.  I eventually settled on two HP ZR24W at $360 each.  A little spendy but I rationalized that I won't replace them for a long, long time.  While I am truly satisfied I really have no idea if something better (or as good for less money) is out there.  Given your experience with HP I would say the ZR24W are built like a tank and I have no complaints with colors, including black (not that I am a pro color guru) or pixel issues. 

Best of luck, FastKayak / Larry

Osho

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2012, 11:16:07 pm »

What's the back light bleed like on that monitor?
This looks awful... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77lHHafbJEw

I ordered 2. I am very satisfied with them. I haven't seen any blacklight that bothers me but I am not a professional graphics artist. I find the 2 monitor combinations of Dell U2412M very productive and entertaining for doing real work on one monitor while watching video/listening to music etc. on the second one. Especially fun for long tagging sessions with MC playing video on a detached display on the second monitor.

Thanks,
Osho

FastKayak

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2012, 12:45:45 pm »

I forgot to mention a good web resource for monitor reviews, especially IPS versions -  http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/

FastKayak / Larry

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2012, 02:30:30 pm »

Cheers Larry,

I've just spent the entire evening reading their reviews of the 2410 vs 2412M + associated links. I'm not sure that I need the wider gamut. I need to do more research. I do a lot of photography work, but am a hobbyist rather than anything approaching professional!

I'm leaning towards the 2412M at the moment...

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2012, 03:16:19 pm »

I have been very happy with my Dell U2311H. I bought it less than a year ago. One of the deciding factors was indeed the tftcentral review of it.

I don't think you would need a wide gamut monitor. It is only good for professional image editing. Wide gamut doesn't look good with regular stuff. You would probably end up using a wide gamut monitor in the SRGB mode anyway.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

DarkPenguin

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2012, 11:43:25 pm »

I would recommend anything Dell.  At least until I'm out of options.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2012, 12:33:42 am »

You would probably end up using a wide gamut monitor in the SRGB mode anyway.
This was beginning dawn on me last night. All those reviewers that are out there gushing about their "reds that are just to die for" are a bit misleading. Reading more reliable, factual information about gamuts and differing colour spaces was a lot more helpful. I began to get the impression that those awesome reds were fluoresced beyond true, and the screen as a whole probably didn't look right.

I've got £400 pounds down at auction for a new lens for my camera. If I win that, the £250 I've saved will probably go on the 2412M... Thank you all for your contributions, I'll let you know how it pans out.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2012, 11:44:11 am »

So, got me the u2412M.

It'll do. It's not "WOW" but is a vast improvement over the ailing HP screen. No more washed out edges and corners.

There were mixed opinions from all the reviewers out there regarding the heavy anti-glare coating, and for the record, I can see it, especially in light screens such as here on Interact. Only time will tell whether or not this gets on my nerves... right now, it's not that bothersome.

Build quality, compared to the HP, is cheap and 'plasticy', though it was in the region of £150 cheaper than the HP albeit three years later.
USB hub disconnects when the monitor is turned off. The HP didn't do that. I've solved this with a keyboard shortcut that turns the monitor off, which in turn causes it to go into standby mode, which doesn't disconnect the USB hub.
Very happy to have uniformity from edge to edge once more though. I didn't realise quite how bad it had become until I fired up the 2412m. Thanks again for all the helpful input.

Regards,
-marko

Pages: [1]   Go Up