INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: frame drops in ROHQ with a powerful video card  (Read 1550 times)

birthdaymonkey

• Recent member
frame drops in ROHQ with a powerful video card
« on: February 05, 2012, 07:56:35 am »

Hi guys, I posted about a week ago for guidance with picking out a quiet video card. I went with a GTX 550 Ti with GDDR5 memory. I had to mod the video card BIOS to allow the fan speed to go down past 40%, finally getting it reasonably quiet. So, quite pleased with myself, I fired up ROHQ and immediately started noticing occasional dropped frames, confirmed by the madVR OSD. I'm sure CUVID is being used, as my CPU usage never goes above 20 percent (Sandy Bridge Pentium G620) even playing back 1080 content. GPU usage usually hovers around 10%. It seems to me that I should be more than capable of running ROHQ smoothly!

This is driving me nuts. I've tried three video cards now and returned two of them. The third one will probably go back as well now. I'm thinking of waiting till Ivy bridge comes out and buying one of those, dealing with SQ's lackluster colour reproduction for the time being. With better built in iGPU and more CPU  power at lower wattage Ivy should hopefully work well in my passively cooled system while allowing me to finally get quiet, flawless ROHQ.

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: frame drops in ROHQ with a powerful video card
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 08:17:32 am »

In MadVR when you first starts it there will be some frame drops shown which are not correct. Be sure to reset it (Cntrl+R, I think) to get acurrate frame drop count.  Are you actully seeing a problem or just concerned about what MadVR is reporting?

Make sure your FPS tag data is correct, and you have "allow automatic frame setting changing" checked under Video settings. Also, if you stream your video from another computer, copy one BD to the computer to make sure it is not a network issue.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 08:48:21 am »

If you're trying to eliminate frame drops / repeats, use VideoClock and don't bitstream:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/VideoClock

It's also good to set up automatic refresh rate switching so your display runs at a 1:1 ratio with the video.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

birthdaymonkey

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 08:58:15 am »

Yeah, I'm noticing drops during playback, even when the madVR OSD is off. If I reset it (Ctrl-R), the dropped frames will slowly accumulate until I've got around 100 in an hour of playback. I'm not bitstreaming audio and the files are on the computer that is playing them. I'm using 23.97Hz refresh rate, which is supported by my TV, and the built-in reclocking feature. :(

When I go back to SQ, I don't notice any problems, but I have no way of checking for sure since I can't bring up the OSD without madvr.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 09:25:06 am »

madVR on NVIDIA might need a few configuration changes depending on your system.
I would suggest changing its flushing settings as a start.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

audioriver

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 01:01:18 pm »

madVR on NVIDIA might need a few configuration changes depending on your system.
I would suggest changing its flushing settings as a start.

Any suggestions on these settings for nvidia users?
Windows 10 Pro x64

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 01:09:38 pm »

On the exclusive mode settings page, the flush settings as don't/don't/don't/flush & wait(sleep) seems to be working for me. If that doesnt help, play with the settings a bit.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters
Pages: [1]   Go Up