INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gizmo + library server + playback computer  (Read 1301 times)

robbbby

• Recent member
Gizmo + library server + playback computer
« on: February 06, 2012, 08:36:24 pm »

I've looked around but just keep getting more confused.

I have jriver on my file server and it hosts my music library.  My music playback is done on my htpc which connects to the library server.  Can I use gizmo to browse my library but use the jriver client on my htpc for playback so it plays on my stereo?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Gizmo + library server + playback computer
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 08:40:27 pm »

Yes!

Enable Media Network on the HTPC and get an access key.  Then connect to that machine with Gizmo.  Gizmo doesn't care that the HTPC is connected to a server.

You can also connect to the server with Gizmo and tell the server to play to the HTPC (since HTPC zones appear on the server if you enable Media Network on the HTPC), but this is a little more complex and not really better.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

robbbby

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 09:22:54 pm »

damnit you beat me, you guys are fast, I was coming back to delete my post since I figured it out.

I'm sure i'll stumble into some sort of trouble though so i'll be back :)

Thanks guys it works awesome.  Now I need to properly organize my library.

robbbby

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 06:50:34 pm »

I've stumbled onto a couple problems with this method, may just be my computers though?

If I turn on my htpc before the fileserver, the media server which auto starts with windows gives a bit of an error saying it cannot connect to the library (on the fileserver) and brings up a prompt asking what to do.  At this point my fileserver is already up an running and the jriver server app is running but the htpc just stays stuck at the library prompt.
Would be nice if it would just keep retrying in the background or just default back to the server process and try again when a connection comes in like from the gizmo.

Another thing that happened twice now (though I don't think this has anything to do with the jriver software).
Tried connecting to library from gizmo and nothing.  Logged into fileserver and noticed a popup saying jriver didn't close properly last time and gave a few options like reinstalling, redoing something with the library.  My filesever is set to go into hibernate after a certain amount of time of inactivity so not sure if that is causing problems.

And lastly gizmo or one of my library servers froze up a couple times when using the track forward button on gizmo, possibly just a computer problem.

Other then that awesome so far.

Bill Kearney

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 11:04:19 am »

You could set up your HTPC to check for the fileserver before starting MC.  Something as simple as a 'net use' or other filesystem check to see that the shared media is accessible before starting MC. 

It's uncommon to leave a fileserver offline, that's sort of not what a 'server' role demands.  Thus there's not much checking to be done on the client side.  Again, using hibernation on a server is not considered a good practice.
Pages: [1]   Go Up