INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Feature Change Request  (Read 1902 times)

Houckster

• Junior Woodchuck
Feature Change Request
« on: February 09, 2012, 08:47:08 am »

May I make another suggestion?

I like to display my playlists with specific headings which is, of course, easy to do (using a customized headings set) but unfortunately, MC resets the headings to the default when I switch to the next playlist.  Consequently, I have to redo the headings for each playlist I look at.  The settings for displays needs to be persistent and if you set columns to "autosize", this setting should be persistent as well.

Houckster

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Feature Change Request
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 01:04:05 pm »

Anyone else feel the same?

rick.ca

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 05:35:52 pm »

By "headings," I assume you mean a view's Columns settings—of which you have one specific preference. But this applies equally to all the settings of a view—List Style, Group By, Sort By and Columns. These might vary, depending on the type of list and it's purpose. So using something other than the default is not necessarily useful.

What I would suggest is grouping your playlists (more or less) according to the view settings they require. If you really do just have one specific preference, put all your lists in one group. You can then apply the same settings to all members of the group (by selecting the group node, rather than the individual lists). When adding a new list, add it to the appropriate group—and it will inherit the settings of the group. Whatever settings are inherited—and whatever you may choose to change them to—will persist.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 06:11:52 pm »

There does seem to be a bug where sometimes columns for a playlist are saved, sometimes not.  But it is difficult to recreate in a repeatable fashion.

I just repeated for a certain playlist several times, and now am unable to for the same.

I have some suspicion around lists created with some older version of MC; once the list is updated somehow, the bug goes away.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

rick.ca

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 06:46:15 pm »

I have some suspicion around lists created with some older version of MC; once the list is updated somehow, the bug goes away.

This might be why I don't see the same thing. I reorganized my playlists fairly recently—probably since switching to version 17.

Houckster

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 06:49:41 pm »

I have the same preference for all my playlists.  I just need a way to implement it.  Can you point me to the directions for doing this?  I can and have established some groups but this does not appear to allow me to have a uniform set of column headings for my playlists.  After establishing the group, I then used "Customize View" to store my column headings but the default appears after I move to another playlist so that I have to retrieve the customized view for each playlist.

Houckster

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 06:52:10 pm »

There does seem to be a bug where sometimes columns for a playlist are saved, sometimes not.  But it is difficult to recreate in a repeatable fashion.

I just repeated for a certain playlist several times, and now am unable to for the same.

Unfortunately, I can't get MC to do anything BUT reinstate the column headings default.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 07:00:01 pm »

Try creating a new Playlist Group - call it TEST GROUP.  Under that, try creating two new Playlists, TEST 1 and TEST 2.

Select the TEST GROUP playlist group.  Add a new column to the file view.  Now go to TEST 1.  The new column should appear here.  Same for TEST 2.

Add a new column in TEST 1.  It should retain that column, but not affect TEST GROUP or TEST 2.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

Houckster

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2012, 07:06:43 pm »

At this stage I have almost 500 playlists and I'm wondering if it takes MC some time in the background to migrate the column head preferences to all the lists.  At the present time, the headings are showing up as I wish except for a blank column to the right of the sequence #.  Well, no one can say that MC isn't exciting.

rick.ca

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2012, 07:17:08 pm »

After establishing the group, I then used "Customize View" to store my column headings but the default appears after I move to another playlist so that I have to retrieve the customized view for each playlist.

If you're literally using Customize View to restore a saved view, that will not have the effect you're expecting. A Playlist is just a simple File List view, and the relevant settings are not saved with it. Alternatively, it also sounds like you might be saving rather than recalling a preset. Select your Playlist Group in the tree. From the tab drop-down menu, select Columns > Presets and the desired preset you previously saved. As appropriate, do the same with List Style, Group By and Sort By.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2012, 10:30:45 pm »

This may have been stated already, but just to be clear: child playlists inherit view settings from their parent playlist group.

A child can override the parent, but if nothing has been explicitly customized in the child, it will use the parent's settings.

So you can grab all the playlists (the tree supports multi-select of playlists), and drop them into a new group.  Customize the group, and uncustomized children will follow.

Otherwise the advice about the 'Presets' feature is good.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Houckster

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2012, 09:03:12 am »

First, thanks for all your help.

Some observations . . .

First, creating a group is a very good thing to do.  Secondly, the child playlist does not necessarily inherit the parent's settings if it is created outside the group.  This morning, I went through 156 playlists.  Nearly all of them had gone out of sequence so the Seq# was a godsend today.  Also, I noticed that about a third of the playlists had a STACK # column which I had to delete on about a third of the playlists.  Sometimes the SEQ # was gone but I found that by unlocking the playlist, I could get it back.

rick.ca

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2012, 05:22:24 pm »

Secondly, the child playlist does not necessarily inherit the parent's settings if it is created outside the group.

I'm not sure this is what you mean, but just moving a playlist into a group will not change the settings. After being moved, however, it should inherit whatever settings are subsequently set for the group.
Pages: [1]   Go Up