INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Alternatives to Logitech Harmony?  (Read 15650 times)

MasterC

• Recent member
Alternatives to Logitech Harmony?
« on: February 21, 2012, 04:59:54 pm »

I've been using the Logitech Harmony line of remotes for many years now.  My 890 just bit the dust.  Rather than spend $300 on a new Logitech 900, I've been looking at using the following options.

1. Roomie
2. iRule
3. Dijit

Problem is I'm an Android guy and Roomie is iOS only and iRule is dual platform but from what I've been able to gather iRule is problem prone on the Android platform. I'm willing to invest in an Ipad (gasp!) if Roomie turns out to be the best option.  The other nice thing about Roomie and iRule is that they both utilize the Global Cache IP2IR hardware solutions which seem to at lot more universal if I ever change solutions.

Dijit looks decent as well but from doing alot of reading on AVS it's very simplistic and advanced users (like myself!) will be left short changed. It also requires the Griffin Beacon which really doesn't work with any other remote solution so I'd be stuck with it if I ever changed remote software.

I use J River to listen to music and watch movies extensively and I've got quite a few IR based devices that I need to control.  Roomie and iRule both are capable of using IP based control which offers the unique advantage of two-way communication with some devices.

Any users of J River out there using any of these solutions?  Have you been able to integrate control of J River into your control schemes???

HTPC4ME

• Citizen of the Universe
  • LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!
Re: Alternatives to Logitech Harmony?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 07:08:14 pm »

+1

Z0001

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 06:10:10 am »

I was also looking at this kind of solution to control MC by IP command. I know WMC can be controlled that way if the app MCE Controller is installed, but I'm not sure if MC control works the same way.

Any experiences with this iRule configuration?

Also how does one navigate the MC GUI with iRule, for example to select which album to play if not in Theatre View?

iRule looks to have a more customizable interface, whereas Roomie looks more plug and play with layouts for pre configured actual or virtual remotes. Also Roomie looks like it will display TV channel info.

Does anyone know if iRule can send MC info (eg album listings) to the remote device?

MrHaugen

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 06:39:56 am »

What about an Asus Transformer Prime with Theater View via Splashtop, and perhaps Gizmo in addition?

The problem I'll have with a Phone remote is that the browsing will be to slow. Hard buttons or touch flicking is hard to beat. I have a Harmony 900 today, and the positive thing it that it's IR AND RF, so I can control my receiver and TV and I don't need line of sight. But the response with the RF blaster is less than ideal.

I'll subscribe to this one and see if others have a better solution.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

Castius

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 09:55:49 am »

I find the lack attention to this issue iritating. I don't want pure touch screen. There needs to be a flip remote. One side touch the other side real buttons. power up down left right ok back home channel up down volume page up down. I'm so tempteded to start a DIY project with an old phone and an old remote. But I'm don't have the time or electronic skils to pull it off.

MrHaugen

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 10:56:21 am »

You have alternatives like Philips RC9800i, but I've never quite dared to purchase and test one. They are quite expensive. But again, so are the Harmony 900's :o I think I purchased the 900 because I installed a Harmony One for my parents, and it worked rather well. The RF part on the 900 was disappointing, so I should have tested a Philips model instead I think.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 10:57:38 am »

I've been using the Logitech Harmony line of remotes for many years now.  My 890 just bit the dust.  Rather than spend $300 on a new Logitech 900, I've been looking at using the following options.

In case you get lazy and want to go with what you know already:
A lot of users have had great success contacting Logitech to ask about options for their out of warranty remotes. They usually get a 50% off coupon to be used in the Logitech Harmony store.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 10:59:31 am »

You have alternatives like Philips RC9800i, but I've never quite dared to purchase and test one. They are quite expensive. But again, so are the Harmony 900's :o I think I purchased the 900 because I installed a Harmony One for my parents, and it worked rather well. The RF part on the 900 was disappointing, so I should have tested a Philips model instead I think.

Unfortunately, Philips has finished its remote business, and I'm not sure whether someone bought it or not. I considered getting a Pronto, URC etc., but by all accounts you need to have a pro program them for you. I could learnt to do it myself, but I don't even make time to program my two Harmony Ones these days!

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2012, 11:01:14 am »

I find the lack attention to this issue iritating. I don't want pure touch screen. There needs to be a flip remote. One side touch the other side real buttons. power up down left right ok back home channel up down volume page up down. I'm so tempteded to start a DIY project with an old phone and an old remote. But I'm don't have the time or electronic skils to pull it off.

You nailed it. Tablets are cool and nice, but some basic hard buttons should be standard. Volume is really all I'd need. I will probably go with iRule eventually - just need to get a fantastic deal on an original iPad or a 7" one if it comes out.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2012, 11:03:31 am »

Why not use an Android?  The hardware volume buttons work in Gizmo.

MrHaugen

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2012, 11:12:06 am »

Unfortunately, Philips has finished its remote business, and I'm not sure whether someone bought it or not. I considered getting a Pronto, URC etc., but by all accounts you need to have a pro program them for you. I could learnt to do it myself, but I don't even make time to program my two Harmony Ones these days!
I did not know that they had closed their remote business. That's bad. And yes, the Pronto remotes will take a lot of programming to work just as you want it. I might be able to spend some time on it, but I'm not very happy about the though.

Gizmo works, and I'll sure use it a lot for streaming of content from my server to my HTPC while the TV is off. And I'll stream to the phone sometimes when I'm in my back yard or doing some work in my apartment. But that's also it. At least for me. There are other that have better options and automation customization for example. For remote control at least. Navigating theater view for instance, with touch buttons is just a nightmare in my opinion.

HTPC4ME

• LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2012, 11:34:19 am »

gismo as an all in one solution would be stellar!

I to am looking to replace my harmony for tv, receiver, htpc, tv, playstation, xbox 360, lights, drapes, vcr etc.
I think small tablet based remote would be the cats meow.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2012, 11:50:50 am »

I'm looking for a solution that will work with my receiver's many settings, be able to at least turn my TV, HTPCs, and projector on and off, be able to launch Windows software, be able to work with MC (of course) and be able to use X10 commands to turn on/off my subwoofers, buttkickers and lighting. I think iRule is the closest to doing this, and word-of-mouth (in this thread) is that it's less reliable in Android.

Darth B

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2012, 11:51:32 am »

I'm using iRule on a cheap Android tablet and it works great.  The best remote option I've used to control my Home Theater system.  I too, had a Harmony bite the dust about two months ago and started looking into the various options.  I tried the new Harmony Link - and it was awful.  I then investigated about 3 other options and finally settled on iRule.  I'm extremely happy with the iRule product.  The best testimony, my wife can use it and is happy with it.

I use the Global Cache IP2IR model to control my Denon AV Receiver, Sony LCD TV and DishNetwork Receiver.
I use IP control for JRiver in Theater View - not sure how well it would work in Standard View.  

iRule also allows URL access - meaning you can integrate WebGizmo into the control panel along with IR commands to other devices (like the AV receiver).  I've been trying this and it works pretty well - there's a bit of a navigation issue with using the back button.  WebGizmo replies on the Android back button to return the previous page.  However, in iRule pressing the Android back button takes you the previous iRule page.  I've asked if a back and forward button could be added to WebGizmo - but nothing has developed.

Here's some links to my AVS posts showing my remote layout.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showpost.php?p=21615892&postcount=152
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showpost.php?p=21612069&postcount=6010

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2012, 12:02:09 pm »

I'm using iRule on a cheap Android tablet and it works great.  The best remote option I've used to control my Home Theater system.  I too, had a Harmony bite the dust about two months ago and started looking into the various options.  I tried the new Harmony Link - and it was awful.  I then investigated about 3 other options and finally settled on iRule.  I'm extremely happy with the iRule product.  The best testimony, my wife can use it and is happy with it.

I use the Global Cache IP2IR model to control my Denon AV Receiver, Sony LCD TV and DishNetwork Receiver.
I use IP control for JRiver in Theater View - not sure how well it would work in Standard View.  

iRule also allows URL access - meaning you can integrate WebGizmo into the control panel along with IR commands to other devices (like the AV receiver).  I've been trying this and it works pretty well - there's a bit of a navigation issue with using the back button.  WebGizmo replies on the Android back button to return the previous page.  However, in iRule pressing the Android back button takes you the previous iRule page.  I've asked if a back and forward button could be added to WebGizmo - but nothing has developed.

Thank you for the mini review! Very encouraging.

MrHaugen

« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2012, 12:47:15 pm »

That might actually be a solution. Expensive though... iRule and Splashtop together might make a great combo. I'm looking forward to testing it when I purchase the newer model of Transformer Prime.

MasterC

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2012, 03:30:28 pm »

In case you get lazy and want to go with what you know already:
A lot of users have had great success contacting Logitech to ask about options for their out of warranty remotes. They usually get a 50% off coupon to be used in the Logitech Harmony store.

I've actually heard that.  But I think I'm ready for the next generation of remote control. Literally. Updating the 890 every time you want to change just one command (ie. take remote to computer, disconnect RF transmitter, hook to computer, hook it back up, test everything) is such a pain in the groin. That's if it the update process works. It's so flakey and Logitech hasn't updated the functionality of their software in YEARS. I really don't want to give them any more of my hard earned money. Plus having two way over IP is just not possible with the Harmony line.  And the Harmony link?  That's another half effort from Logitech. Logitech needs to stick with what it does well....computer peripherals.

MasterC

• Recent member
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2012, 03:37:56 pm »

I'm looking for a solution that will work with my receiver's many settings, be able to at least turn my TV, HTPCs, and projector on and off, be able to launch Windows software, be able to work with MC (of course) and be able to use X10 commands to turn on/off my subwoofers, buttkickers and lighting. I think iRule is the closest to doing this, and word-of-mouth (in this thread) is that it's less reliable in Android.

That's exactly it.  I need to control my projector, my LCDs, my Denon (3 separate zones), my PS3, my satellite PVR, and my Lutron lighting system. The cool thing is with iRule or Roomie is that you could run Gizmo in a window in the remote application itself.

I think this is where the fragmentation on Android is hurting it - app reliability. When you need to rely on your tablet to control your equipment and you're not at home and the wife is using it, it better work! All the solutions on iOS seem to be more stable because there is only one device to concentrate on from a development perspective and this leads to end user reliability. Don't get me wrong, I love my Samsung GS2 and it kicks the crap out of the current iPhone lineup.  But the tablets are another story.....

MasterC

• Recent member
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2012, 03:45:33 pm »

That's encouraging. I just ordered my Global Cache IR2IP today, so I will be biting the bullet very soon on a tablet....

I'm waiting until they announce the Ipad 3 so hopefully we'll see some decent price drops on both sides of the tablet universe.

Thanks for the feedback though....lots more to ponder on I guess!

I also stumbled on yet another promising solution called Touchsquid that comes in both a tablet form (a dedicated Android tablet with the software preinstalled and hardware buttons) and an app form that can be used on any Android tablet. It also supports the Global Cache IR2IP box as well so this is promising. From what I've been able to gather it does lack some features found in iRule and Roomie but they are constantly updating the software.

Check it out: http://touchsquid.org/

MasterC

• Recent member
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2012, 01:07:30 am »

+1

Anymore feedback out there among J River users?

MrHaugen

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2012, 06:03:42 am »

Tested Splashtop this weekend, and it's a no go. The latency was ridiculous. It was on a iPad2, and the latency is supposed to be much better on Tegra 3 units like Transformer prime. But it only stream video in 1024*768 or something. Which is kind of crazy for a mirror streaming service. So, I'll have to drop that plan.

I'm now trying to figure out if Transformer Prime will ever come out with Win7 or Win8 in x86 versions. That way we could run full versions of MC and use Tremote function on the pad. That would be great. This would however probably not exclude the need for a remote as well. At least in my case.

PubFiction

« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2012, 06:24:12 pm »

I currently use the harmony link it is hard to beat the price and flexibility.
However the latency is annoying at times. It tends to want to disconnect, but the nice thing is you can control it from multiple devices, I have a kindle, old epic 4g without service and a 2 modern android smartphones.
However I have found that my android devices turn into really incredible remotes with unified remote. You can grab it on the google play store. It has remotes for jriver as well as more generic WMC remotes. Even has a pro version where you can make your own custom remotes. Given the only thing I really ever do with the rest of my HT setup is turn it on or off and adjust volume I put up with harmony link and switch to unified remote on the HTPC.

Unified remote is really fast, you can use it as a mouse, to control powerpoints, really I cant think of anything I cannot do with it on a computer. It has options to try to keep your wifi or blue tooth alive too so you wont have to reconnect if your phone / tablet sleeps. Anyhow its free so definitely check it out. I ran accross this thread looking for something better than harmony link as well.

But alot of the infrared emmitters for smart phones are as much as link (I got link for $70) and only work on a single device and may not have any feed back. I think link will improve but for now they need things like auto login and the option to keep the connection alive. Actually I find that unified remote on makes it a little better to use link.
Pages: [1]   Go Up