INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Having trouble with bi-amping output  (Read 1311 times)

bpimm

• Recent member
Having trouble with bi-amping output
« on: February 29, 2012, 03:03:50 pm »

Hi,

First off I'm not much of a computer guy and just starting to use the PC for music and video playback.

The system I'm working with is my office system that is used for music, TV, and movies. The sound system consists of a pair of class T amps one driving 4" wide range speakers mounted IB into the ceiling, the other is driving a pair of 10" drivers mounted IB into the ceiling. I was using a Behringer DCX2496 modified with a volume control for the cross over but the Behringer is having problems so I wanted to use the PC for the cross over.

I have followed the Audio setup to where it says I should be able to play audio and I can, but only the 4" drivers are playing.

I have used the windows audio test and both sets of speakers play with it.
I have the output format number of channels set to 4 and am using the Parametric EQ to copy the Left to Surround left and Right to Surround Right and I have the bass drivers plugged into the Rear plug on the computer. I have tried them in the Side output also with no difference.

What am I missing to get the audio to come out of all 4 channels?

Thank you
Brian

Setup information:
Media Center 17.0.82.0 C:\Program Files (x86)\J River\Media Center 17\

Workstation 6.1  (Build 7600)
AMD Unknown 2798 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 3923 MB, Free - 1530 MB

Internet Explorer: 8.0.7600.16385 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82.7600 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.1.7600 / Shell32.dll: 6.1.7600 / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive E: hp      DVD A  DH16AAL    Mode:ModeSecure  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No 

Burning /  Drive E: hp       DVD A  DH16AAL     Addr: 0:1:0  Speed:40  MaxSpeed:40  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /

Portable Device Info
  Removed devices:

Interface Plugins:
  TiVo Server (Active)

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
Re: Having trouble with bi-amping output
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 04:21:34 pm »

Did you set Player > DSP Studio > Output Format to 5.1 channels? Did you remember to check the parametric EQ box in the DSP list to make it active after adding Mix Channels. The Mix Channels filters also need to be checked.

bpimm

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 04:53:15 pm »

PEQ was on, but I had the output at 4 channel, changed it to 5.1 and it's working! Why does it need 5.1 when I'm only playing a Stereo signal?

Thank you
Brian

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 05:34:37 pm »

PEQ was on, but I had the output at 4 channel, changed it to 5.1 and it's working! Why does it need 5.1 when I'm only playing a Stereo signal?

Thank you
Brian
It needs 5.1 because you are mapping to the the 5.1 output channels on your soundcard. When you have a stereo signal, the other channels are just blank, but available, until you send them something. You chose to overwrite the blank surround channels with info from left and right channels. If you active the Room Correction DSP, you can us it to send bass information to the subwoofer channel. It lets you set the crossover, slopes, and whether you want to move bass to the subwoofer (removes it from the mains) or just copy bass to the subwoofer (keeps it in the mains, too).

bpimm

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 08:31:12 pm »

Ok, that makes sense.

Thank you
Pages: [1]   Go Up