INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC multiple artist albums and iTunes compilations - any experts out there?  (Read 4646 times)

rjm

• Citizen of the Universe

I am trying to understand the relationship between MC multiple artist albums and iTunes compilations.

I have hundreds of multiple artists albums that I tagged with MC several years ago. These albums do not show up as compilations in iTunes unless I tell iTunes they are compilations but this then causes iTunes to write the file tags which I prefer to avoid since I only trust MC for writing.

I have a new multiple artist album that I recently tagged with MC and imported into iTunes that is showing up as a compilation.

Did something change in MC tagging over the last 12 months that might affect iTunes compilations?

I have many more questions but lets start here to see if there are any experts out there.

Thanks in advance for your help.

rjm

I did some googling and experimentation. Think I understand what's going on.

iTunes uses an extended ID3v2.3 tag called "Compilation" with a value of 1 to indicate that a track is a member of a compilation and thus should be grouped with other compilation tracks that have the same album name. This cleans up the presentation and navigation of multiple artist albums in both iTunes and the Remote iPad app.

MC does not see the Compilation tag created by iTunes.

It is possible to create a custom MC tag called Compilation that appears in 3rd party tag editors like Mp3tag to be the same as the iTunes created tag, however iTunes does not recognize the MC created tag.

Conclusions:

1) It is not possible to set the iTunes compilation tag from within MC.

2) The only way to set the iTunes compilation tag is with iTunes which will result in iTunes rewriting the mp3 file tags.

Different or additional insights are welcomed.

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
  • I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..

All of my compilations are marked as compilations in iTunes but I did not tag them that way in iTunes. All my tagging is done in MC.

I don't remember exactly how MC does it, but I think you need to:

1) Make sure all tracks have the exact same album name
2) Make sure all tracks are physically stored in the same folder

If you do this, I think Album Artist Auto is set to Multiple Artists (assuming you did not override it) and the album is considered a compilation.

I may not remember this exactly right, but again all my tagging is done in MC and the compilations are treated as such in iTunes.

EDIT:
There is another tag in MC that may be related to this. It's called Complete Album. I'm pretty sure MC marks it a complete album if the conditions I listed above are true and the track numbers are properly set.

rjm

Interesting, thanks.

So your theory is that iTunes can set the compilation flag by using some logic if the Compilation tag is not present.

I tried an experiment using your criteria (same Album name, same folder, Album Artist Auto equals Multiple Artists) and it did not work.

This does not necessarily mean your theory is wrong. I've noticed some murky stuff. For example, if an extended tag called something like AlbumSortOrder is present (which neither iTunes or MC displays or edits) then the value in Album is ignored which effectively keeps the file out of the desired compilation.

Would love to have all my MC tagged multiple artist albums recognized in iTunes as compilations without using iTunes to edit all the files.

If you or anyone else gets any new ideas please let me know.

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team

Did you check the Complete Album tag in MC? All tracks should have a value of 1.

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team

...So your theory is that iTunes can set the compilation flag by using some logic if the Compilation tag is not present...
If I do a Get Info in iTunes the tag Part of a Compilation is checked. But I did not do anything in iTunes.

rjm

Did you check the Complete Album tag in MC? All tracks should have a value of 1.

Yes, the Complete Album tag in my experiment was set to 1 so that does not explain your success.

1) Do you use the simple "Track #" format or the more advanced "Track # of TotalTracks" format?

2) Do you have any non-audio files in the same folder like text infos?

If I do a Get Info in iTunes the tag Part of a Compilation is checked. But I did not do anything in iTunes.

3) Are you sure that the original ripper of your files did not set Compilation with iTunes. You would not know if he had because MC ignores it.

rjm

Are you using either of the iTunes Advanced Preferences

1) Keep iTunes Media folder organized
2) Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team

Are you using either of the iTunes Advanced Preferences

1) Keep iTunes Media folder organized
2) Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library
None.

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team

Yes, the Complete Album tag in my experiment was set to 1 so that does not explain your success.

1) Do you use the simple "Track #" format or the more advanced "Track # of TotalTracks" format?

2) Do you have any non-audio files in the same folder like text infos?

3) Are you sure that the original ripper of your files did not set Compilation with iTunes. You would not know if he had because MC ignores it.

1) I use Track # (I also have Disc # Set even if there is only 1 disc)
2) No
3) Everything is ripped in MC

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team

I think there may be another Tag involved.

Mix Album = 1 on my compilations

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team

I think we are both right. Tagging in MC will not set the compilation tag in iTunes.

...and all my tagging is in MC, but the compilation tag in iTunes is set.

I use a plugin called MCiS which synchronizes MC and iTunes libraries. You can configure it to set the Compilation tag in iTunes based on the value of Mix Album in MC.

"If the track has Mix Album set to 1 in MC, Compilation in iTunes is set to true. If the track has Mix Album set to 0 in MC, Compilation in iTunes is set to false."

Read about it here:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=51734.0

rjm

Damn. I'm an old timer and there's still deep stuff I've never heard of. Can't imagine how the young'uns feel.

Thanks for the help.

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team

My pleasure :)

vagskal

What happens if you in MC create a custom field called "iTunes Compilation" and set that field to "1" for all files in a various artist album? I think this will create the iTunes specific ID3v2 frame TCMP indicating that the files are part of a various artist album (a compilation).

(I created that field way back, but I think I had to name it ITUNES_COMPILATION then to get it to work, so try naming the field like that if the above does not work for you.)

rjm

What happens if you in MC create a custom field called "iTunes Compilation" and set that field to "1" for all files in a various artist album? I think this will create the iTunes specific ID3v2 frame TCMP indicating that the files are part of a various artist album (a compilation).

(I created that field way back, but I think I had to name it ITUNES_COMPILATION than to get it to work, so try naming the field like that if the above does not work for you.)

I did create a custom MC field named Compilation. Using Mp3tag to inspect it, it looked the same as the iTunes tag but iTunes could not see it.

I am testing out the iTunes Synchronization plugin right now. Would be nice if it works because it does not require me to touch all my mp3 files.

If it does not work, I will try your tip.

Thanks a lot.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird

In MC you would need to create a field that is literally named iTunes Compilation. MC will then tag the non-standard TCMP ID3v2 tag frame (TCMP was introduced by Apple. It is not included in the original proposed ID3v2.x standards.) I don't know what can trigger a tag reread inside iTunes, but at least this should work when the files are imported as new entries to iTunes.

You can set it to be a list field that allows only the value 1. See the attached screenshot.

Optionally you can also add a tagged Album Artist value which overrides the automatic value in the separate Album Artist (auto) field inside MC. iTunes can display this tag, but it does not use it for album grouping.

The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

rjm

Thanks kindly Alex.

I am running the MCiS plugin as we speak and should know shortly if it will work. If not, I'll try your suggestion.

rjm

Just to let all the helpful people above know, I managed to get the MCiS plugin working and am very pleased with that solution because I do not need to rewrite the tags in all my mp3s. I will report details in the MCiS thread.

Thanks for your help.

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team

Glad it worked out for you. I too am very pleased with MCiS.
Pages: [1]   Go Up