INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dealing with windows 7 dynamically handling video outputs?  (Read 5580 times)

Bill Kearney

• Galactic Citizen
Dealing with windows 7 dynamically handling video outputs?
« on: March 04, 2012, 02:04:16 pm »

Anyone figured out how to properly configure win7 to avoid it rejiggering the video outputs all the time?

I've got an Nvidia GT430 (I think) in the machine and every time I change the video output the screen resolution gets confused. I've got two outputs on the card, one VGA and the other HDMI.  The VGA runs to a KVM on my desk (so I can reconfigure things as needed without going to the TV).  The HDMI is connected to a matrix switch (a monoprice 4x4 unit).  Off the matrix it can be connected to any one of four outputs.  Right now it's connected to a Pioneer VSX-82TSX (avr) and a Pioneer Pro-1140HD Plasma.  At some point it'll also be connected to two other outputs (after we remodel the whole house). 

When I change the output from the AVR to the TV the video driver things get screwy.  First it loses the HDMI output, reconfiguring the PC to use only the VGA output.  Then as it makes the switch to one of the outputs it reconfigures the desktop to have two side-by-side desktops.  I can then bring up the Display control panel and configure the desktops as duplicates of each other.  Sometimes it'll either stick with the 1360x768 resolution I've chosen for them, or it'll go with whatever it's decided are the native resolutions.  But it's inconsistent on this. 

The same sort of thing happens to the audio outputs.

So, any tips on preventing this nonsense?  I just want to force it to duplicate the desktops and leave 'em at a given resolution.

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
Re: Dealing with windows 7 dynamically handling video outputs?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 10:45:30 pm »

Some GPU's handle the EDID change "better" than others but I've found my trusty DVI Detective+ keeps the PC happy as I switch from a TV and/or PJ as it keeps broadcasting the same EDID even if there is no active screen/avr at the other end (note: the "modern" version is the HDMI Detective I believe).
JRiver CEO Elect

Bill Kearney

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 09:55:48 am »

The downside to the HDMI Detective is it's limited in what resolutions and audio formats it supports.  If you're fine with the limited subset then it might be OK.  But for $100 *per device* that's a bit expensive.  From what I gather I'd have to put one on each source output, before it goes into the matrix switch.  This would let the source devices all think they're still talking to the same output device.  This, apparently, is important when it comes to avoiding audio output limitations.  As in, you get stuck using only stereo output because that's the lowest common denominator across all your TVs.  So your home theater projection TV and receiver wouldn't be able to use 7.1 surround (or the like) because there's a low-end TV in the office that only accepts stereo.

I think there's a little more planning required here.  I'll have to look into this audio limiting issue more.  I don't feed multiple TVs yet but will after we remodel.  So I'll have the option to order whatever TVs are 'most compatible' with the whole system.  Or, as some people are doing, use an AVR in places where the TV display alone wouldn't do a good enough job.  Perhaps only using it as a way to 'downgrade' from the distributed HDMI signal to whatever the lower-end TV supported. 

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 03:17:59 am »

My DVI Detective Plus has presets (which I dont use) and the ability to record a live EDID feed that it will then always transmit.  I've done this when the PJ was being used (via the AVR) so I now get the PC "seeing" EDID data for all the supported audio options from the AVR in addition to the 3d info from the PJ even if it is not connected.  The result is the PC never changes it's audio or video settings regardless of what device I actually have on and connected.
JRiver CEO Elect

Sandy B Ridge

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 04:03:53 am »

I used a HDMI Detective for a while (until I figured I could do without it with a firmware update for my amp). I used it because I wanted to have the flexibility to completely turn off the TV whilst listening to audio. Previously my HTPC (and PS3, so not a windows issue!) would stop sending audio to the amp as soon as the TV turned off since the EDID would change forcing a re-handshake and audio stopping. Using the HDMI Detective sorted it. The amp manufacturer produced a firmware update which fixed the EDID in place if it lost the 'sink' which was great for my needs.

Anyway, the HDMI detective is programmable. You can make it learn what EDID table you wish it to send out. It also has a few in-built EDID tables (with 7.1 support for audio IIRC). I think you may only need one device on the back of the PC rather than several, so I would try this first.

You could probably find the manual for the device online somewhere to see how it works. If it doesn't work for you, you could always put it 'On the Bay'. There was a healthy market for these a while back, especially in Europe where they were closer to £100 (=$160) than $100. So you may not lose much by giving it a go.

SBR

Bill Kearney

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 08:01:32 am »

I bought one but am having a bit of trouble getting things sorted with it.  It doesn't seem to be properly imitating the display.  I thought I followed the steps to program it.  But my display card and driver doesn't see the setup as being 'the same' as a direct connection to the display.  But I haven't yet had to time to dig into it completely, or call Gefen for help.  Hopefully I'll have some time today to wrestle with it.

Sandy B Ridge

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2012, 08:38:07 am »

Oh no!

Have you discovered moninfo yet? It is a very helpful program which will read the EDID table that Windows is seeing and storing. Just make sure you're usin the 'active' one when looking otherwise it can be confusing. You can then directly compare what the active EDID is with and without the Gefen widget.

The usefulness of the widget is that it will send out a static EDID which won't change when you change the multiswitch. If it doesn't have exactly the right parameters for your kit, you can override this with your own parameters. A very useful thread is at avsforum called (helpfully) 'EDID Override thread'. (I'd provide a linky, but it's too fiddly to do from the iPhone!). So for example you can override what the Gefen is sending out once you've installed the custom .inf EDID file in the Device that the Gefen is mimicking. The EDID should then be totally static (and exactly with the Video modes and Audio modes that you want supported).

I didn't have the device long enough to elucidate whether there was any issue with HDCP handshaking. The Gefen device should be transparent to this and in theory it shouldn't matter in the way MC works anyway. It might affect PowerDVD or TMT or other HDCP aware programs.

SBR

Bill Kearney

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2012, 09:29:51 am »

Yes, moninfo is your friend when it comes to dealing with monitor negotiation nonsense.

I've been an avsforum member for quite a while, there are few places better for dealing with AV-related questions. 

The hassle with EDIDs (and DDC before it) is bad enough, but Win7's dynamic display "feature" make sit infinitely worse.  You can't quite tell what's really going on.  Nor can you easily expunge incorrect settings.  And this is all made worse by video card drivers trying to "help".  I may actually dig out an older PC running XP or Vista (or set up a fresh one) just to debug the EDID and monitor .inf driver settings first.  Then, once that's nailed down, use that .inf file to set up win7.  Using Vista might be better in that there are known ways to disable/cripple the monitor detection process.  This while still being able to use a current generation of video card drivers.

'effing pain in the ass all around...
Pages: [1]   Go Up