INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tags Saved to file?  (Read 841 times)

kaiynne

• World Citizen
  • I Changed this by choosing profile
Tags Saved to file?
« on: March 16, 2012, 12:40:29 am »

I am having a bit of an issue with tagging, I just spent about 3 hours tagging some flac files.  I made a new library to manage the proccess as it was easier to see all of the files.  Once I was done tagging I cleared the library, but when I imported them into my main library none of the changes seem to have stuck?

I thought the default behaviour was to update the tags in the file, has this changed or do I have to enable it.  If so where?

Also Is there any way to unclear a library?  I really don't want to have to retag all these files...

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Tags Saved to file?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 06:24:40 am »

It is the default.  It is optional though, perhaps you unchecked this option somehow?

Options -> General -> Importing & Tagging -> Update tags when file info changes

Otherwise, it should have, unless it couldn't write to the FLAC files for some reason.  Could permissions issues on disk have been the cause of your "tagging problems" you were seeing before?  Even then, though, it should have said that it was still updating files down on the bottom status bar.

Did you close and reopen MC before you cleared the Library?  Or create a Library Backup manually?

Restoring a Library Backup is the only way to undo major Library changes.  MC does make automatic backups at launch, so if you closed/reopened MC before you cleared the Library, then it might have made a backup.  The default backup location is in your Documents folder, but you can check the current one here:

Options -> File Locations -> Program Files -> Library backups.

If there is a backup from after you did the tagging, but before you cleared the library, then just restore the backup.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

mkok

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 10:40:11 am »

Just a note on this. I found I had to leave MC open a long time before the files were tagged and showed up on my other PC running MC.

What I don't get is I had the 1st track of a lot of CD's imported without any info except the wav name. So I changed them to reflect the rest of the tracks ripped from the cd. So in MC this file looks exactly like the other ones in the CD folder. If then from windows I right click for properties track 1 still does not have the information I have input? The other tracks I tried to match do. Are these tags written somewhere else?

kaiynne

• World Citizen
  • I Changed this by choosing profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 02:21:13 am »

Awesome thanks, there was a backup luckily!

So I just restored that backup and the files are correctly tagged.  The option update tags when file infor changes was unchecked.  I must have done that at some point I guess...

Going to test to see if the tag changes have propogated by clearing the library and reimporting.  Will post back with results.

Pages: [1]   Go Up