INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tagging pictures and Geosetter  (Read 2045 times)

maxxsid

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Tagging pictures and Geosetter
« on: March 16, 2012, 01:56:28 am »

Hello,

I just geotagged a lot of pictures (several thousands, 3 years worth) with GeoSetter.
Longitude/Latitude always go where they're supposed to go - no problem here.
GeoSetter creates a bunch of tags..
Under "Location" it creates - Country Code, Country, State/Province, City and Sublocation.
This stuff goes to MC's "Places" field but not everything - only Country, State, City. --> First frustration.
Also GeoSetter duplicates all the above info (Country Code, Country, State/Province, City and Sublocation) and puts it into Keywords.
Now, the most frustrating part:
Sometimes, this info goes to MC's Keywords field (and that's what I need) but sometimes the Keywords field remains empty and the info goes to XMP entry "Subject".
What's going on here?
I realize, this is probably GS's fault, but would it be possible to (auto)copy all those Subject entries (subject[1], subject[2], etc) to keywords?

Thanks!
--max

maxxsid

• MC Beta Team
Re: Tagging pictures and Geosetter
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 06:32:48 pm »

I played with exiftool a bit and here's what I found:
-- after geosetter does its tagging, both XMP Subject and IPTC Keywords do get populated with same values
-- MC, however, not always reads those values into its Keywords field
I am not 100% sure but it looks that if MC's Keywords was initially empty (no keywords assigned inside MC) then XMP/IPTC values go into MC. If some keywords were already assigned inside MC then the new ones (created by geosetter) do not get read/appended.

Is there a trick to force MC to read those tags?

Is there a hope to see some development in XMP tagging area of MC?

Thanks!

--max

maxxsid

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 10:09:12 pm »

OK. I think I figured it out..
The culprit was an option in GeoSetter settings: "Save IPTC Data as Unicode (Instead of Local Character Coding)".
When checked it causes two additional lines added to to the top of IPTC tags. Like this:
---- IPTC ----
EnvelopeRecordVersion           : 4
CodedCharacterSet               : UTF8

ApplicationRecordVersion        : 4
Keywords                        : 2011, Africa, Uganda, Durama, Kabarole, UGA
Sub-location                    : Durama
Province-State                  : Kabarole
Country-PrimaryLocationCode     : UGA
Country-PrimaryLocationName     : Uganda

For some reason MC refuses to read this info.

If Save IPTC Data as Unicode (Instead of Local Character Coding) is unchecked then IPTC looks like:
---- IPTC ----
ApplicationRecordVersion        : 4
Keywords                        : 2011, Africa, Uganda, Durama, Kabarole, UGA
Sub-location                    : Durama
Province-State                  : Kabarole
Country-PrimaryLocationCode     : UGA
Country-PrimaryLocationName     : Uganda

and MC reads it just fine.

The question is:
-- Why this CodedCharacterSet line in IPTC confuses MC?

Would be great if IPTC/XMP info is more accessible from MC.. As far as I understand, at present MC reads all those tags but doesn't allow to use/manipulate them (except for a very few, such as xmp:Lens)

Thanks,
--max

raldo

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 06:41:39 am »

Some good info here, maxxsid.

I've posted on many of the issues you raise here. My greatest wish is that a 1-1 relationship was streamlined between as many as possible of the "standard" iptc/exif tags and MC's tags.

I agree with you that accessibility to the XMP tags in the "tagging API", would have been great. The new regex expression feature  would make it possible to extract any kind of info from XMP structures.

Image metadata has had a low priority in MC since I came around ca. MJ8, hopefully that will change sometimes...

maxxsid

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 12:23:42 am »

And the facetags don't get into MC either... : (

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 01:23:30 am »

Image metadata has had a low priority in MC since I came around ca. MJ8, hopefully that will change sometimes...
During MC 9 - MC 11 it was virtually non-existent. MC 12 - 12.1 saw some work which gave us basically what we have today.

The video related work is little short of amazing, though much of the audiophile stuff is a bit above my head... Surely the time is getting near when our image libraries are going to get some development love... I wonder if a thread containing image related wishlists would help?
Pages: [1]   Go Up