INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Windows 8 problem -- Recent ripping changes?  (Read 769 times)

patricklang

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
Windows 8 problem -- Recent ripping changes?
« on: March 25, 2012, 07:23:01 pm »

I just rebuilt my main PC yesterday with Windows 8 Consumer Preview, and installed MC 17.0.106.  I ripped some CD's using my Lite-On USB drive that worked well previously, and I'm getting about a .25-.5 second pause each 3 seconds in the ripped tracks.  I ripped with Secure mode, which worked before with the same drive on Win7 + MC 16.

I just tried EAC on the same machine in "AccurateStream" mode - and it ripped fine with no gaps.

Have there been any changes recently in ripping that might contribute to this?

The only thing I haven't tried yet is my other drive - BenQ 1640.  It's currently unplugged, but I could try it for comparison if needed.  I have been using it with secure rip for CD's needing C2 error correction for several years.

Here's a recent log - notice there are no errors until the end of the song.  You can compare track lengths here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_of_Morrow_(album).  This makes me think there's a buffer underrun each N number of sectors read that's being missed, then when it gets to the last buffer, the error is correctly returned and handled.

Secure Rip Log created at 17:18:59  Friday, March 23, 2012 - Media Center 17.0.106

Port of Morrow - The Shins  >>> Drive H: SlimtypeeTAU208   1       Mode:ModeSecure  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
   Track  1: Non-secure rip, 1% of sectors needed re-reading and 1% of sectors could not be verified.  [The Rifle's Spiral]
      00:03:28  Unreliable data after 16 re-read attempts
   Track  2: Non-secure rip, 1% of sectors needed re-reading and 1% of sectors could not be verified.  [Simple Song]
      00:04:12  Unreliable data after 16 re-read attempts
   Track  3: Secure rip, no re-tries. [It's Only Life]
   Track  4: Non-secure rip, 1% of sectors needed re-reading and 1% of sectors could not be verified.  [Bait and Switch]
      00:03:21  Unreliable data after 16 re-read attempts
   Track  5: Non-secure rip, 1% of sectors needed re-reading and 1% of sectors could not be verified.  [September]
      00:03:32  Unreliable data after 16 re-read attempts
   Track  6: Non-secure rip, 1% of sectors needed re-reading and 1% of sectors could not be verified.  [No Way Down]
      00:03:14  Unreliable data after 16 re-read attempts
   Track  7: Non-secure rip, 1% of sectors needed re-reading and 1% of sectors could not be verified.  [For a Fool]
      00:03:54  Unreliable data after 16 re-read attempts
   Track  8: Non-secure rip, 1% of sectors needed re-reading and 1% of sectors could not be verified.  [Fall of '82]
      00:03:46  Unreliable data after 16 re-read attempts
   Track  9: Non-secure rip, 1% of sectors needed re-reading and 1% of sectors could not be verified.  [40 Mark Strasse]
      00:04:37  Unreliable data after 16 re-read attempts
   Track  10: Secure rip, no re-tries. [Port of Morrow]
Enjoying bit-perfect audio since Media Center 10!

Current 192k setup: SB Recon3d (using hdaudio.sys) -> SPDIF -> Emotiva XDA-1 -> Rotel RX-975 -> Event 20/20 v1
Headphone setup: Meta42 amp, AKG k501, AKG k271
Portable setup: Meridian Explorer -> Etymotic ER-4P with S adapter

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Windows 8 problem -- Recent ripping changes?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 07:49:50 am »

I don't think Win8 is quite ready for service.  I'm using it at home and see some problems.

We may not try to do too much for it until the final release since they are still making changes.
Pages: [1]   Go Up