INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: smartlist to show list of artists with more than x# of songs or x# of song rated  (Read 1317 times)

broncodan

• World Citizen

Is this possible?  Thanks in advance.

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.

I'm not sure this can be done.  You can place upper limits on query results.  So we can ask MC for N tracks from an Artist, etc., but we can't say at least N or else nothing at all.

For track #, here's a different approach.

In a Categories view, you can use [Track #] as Thumbnail text.  In that context, [Track #] will mean Total Number of tracks.  So you can have an Categories view with Artist as the first Category, and use Thumbnail text:

[Track #] [Name]

(see attachment).

There's also a thread somewhere here that describes an approximation method of obtaining an average number of tracks.

Can you clarify "x# of song rated"?  You mean, the Artist has at least X tracks that have any (non-empty) rating?
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

rick.ca

In a Panes View, you can sort any pane by 'Number of Files', and use that to select Artists with many or few songs—and meeting any other criteria set in the panes. The number of files is shown in the status bar, and the panes themselves show the number of categories for the files currently selected. The attached screenshot shows me determining The Beatles have the most files in my collection, then determining that 50 of those are rated 5-stars (if any were not rated, I could have selected rated or not-rated songs).

broncodan

• World Citizen

Thanks for your help.  Both solutions sort of work for what I am trying to figure out.   They allow me to see the artists with the most songs.   I want to make individual smartlist for the artists in my library who have the most tracks and for those with the most tracks that are rated. 

rick.ca

I want to make individual smartlist for the artists in my library who have the most tracks and for those with the most tracks that are rated.

MrC just explained why this sort of thing cannot be done with a smartlist...

Think of MC expressions (calculated fields) as per-track expressions; in other words, MC runs the expression against the properties for a track, but that expression has no knowledge of the calculations from previous tracks.  So there's no Count() or Sum()-like functionality.

You could use a view like the ones suggested to select the artists/tracks meeting the required criteria and send those to a static playlist. Smartlists could then use that playlist as one criterion. Such a playlist, of course, would have to be periodically updated. And files selected by smartlists using it will be restricted to files or albums (after expanding to full albums) in the playlist.

But if you have any pride in your OCD, you'll record the number of unique highly rated tracks in an Artist-related field... ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up