INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Odd import behaviour [Solved]  (Read 1943 times)

bmpadm

• Recent member
Odd import behaviour [Solved]
« on: April 27, 2012, 07:17:02 pm »

Folks,

I am trying to import a folder containing twenty four Genesis albuns, each on its own subfolder, totaling about 400 individual mp3 files. However when I import them into the library some files are simply ignored... The import report says 147 files were imported when it should have shown around 400, strangely there are no skipped files either.

I used two methods: auto-import and the import single folder option, but both have produced the same results. When importing I am selecting all Audio file types and deselecting the two checkboxes available. (Ignore special files and Ignore files previously removed from Library). As I said, all my songs are mp3 files.

I did this procedure a couple of times but the results were the same! Most files are simply ignored for no apparent reason.

Do you have any idea why this may be happening?

Interestingly I have tried a third option, I enabled shell integration and imported the missing albuns by right-clicking on them and selecting the media player import option. This way the album is imported without issues!!!

Strange isn´t it?

I really appreciate your thoughts about this because right now I have no idea what might be wrong.

Warm regards,
Fábio.

bmpadm

• Recent member
Re: Odd import behaviour
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 07:30:16 pm »

Folks,

I have just figured out what was wrong. For some odd reason some of my folders had the S (system) attribute activated and import doesn´t import system files. I just removed the system attribute and everything was imported as expected.

Maybe someone out there might have stumbled on the same issue...

Regards,
Fábio.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Odd import behaviour [Solved]
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 07:35:21 pm »

Glad you figured it out.

I think we do skip system files, maybe silently.

Maybe there should be an option on the folder import dialog to make this optional?  At least that would call out the fact that system files will be skipped.  Or maybe the import log could describe why it's skipping the files better.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

bmpadm

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 08:21:54 pm »

Matt,

I think the second option is more reasonable, after all, there is no good reason for a media file to be marked as a system file, is there? It is indeed very important to warn the user about this, a simple message like "ignoring file x for reason y" would suffice IMHO.

Sincerely I was starting to think there was a bug in the code...

Also, while googling about the issue, I think I saw someone complaining that the software was importing a bunch of flac files while ignoring others for no apparent reason. It´s likely the some problem, don´t you agree?

Well... thanks for your quick reply and accept my congratulations for the awesome product!

Warm regards,
Fábio.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 08:25:12 pm »

Also, while googling about the issue, I think I saw someone complaining that the software was importing a bunch of flac files while ignoring others for no apparent reason. It´s likely the some problem, don´t you agree?

Another possible issue is files with filenames longer than safely supported by the shell.

Better messaging for both these cases would be good.

bmpadm

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 08:41:59 pm »

Matt,

It sure would!

Another thing to consider: why did importing via shell extension worked at all?

Here I see the same function (import) with two different behaviours depending on how it is invoked. IMHO this was a bad design decision -- a given function should behave consistently no matter how it is activated, don´t you agree?

Please consider changing this as well.

Warm regards,
Fábio.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2012, 08:51:29 pm »

Import via shell-extension is a manual process - it should be more relaxed, as you're telling MC to do it.

Auto-import runs in the background, so probably needs to be less carefree, and safe for new installations where the media paths may not initially reflect the user's preferences.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2012, 02:50:39 pm »

In a coming build:
Changed: When import skips files because the filenames are too long or because files have the system attribute set, the import summary will show this (and 'Show in-depth summary' will list the files).
Pages: [1]   Go Up