INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Social engineering Red Cross virus scam  (Read 12168 times)

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Social engineering Red Cross virus scam
« on: May 01, 2012, 02:24:58 pm »

I got an interesting, fun phone call this morning.

It was from an "Out of Area" phone number, and the caller, with an Indian accent, claimed he was from Microsoft Customer Support, and went on about how my PC was infected with "The Red Cross Virus".  He was going to take care of it for me, and started going through his checklist of steps I should immediately take.

Its the sort of trap unaware / unsuspecting people can fall into.  There are no upfront details, and the Q/A starts out innocently and vague enough ("Is your computer currently on?", "Do you have programs running?").

I figured I'd have some fun with the guy.  I started forcing the conversation, disrupting his script, asking things such as what their call-back number was, what his employee ID was, etc.  He become more belligerent, frustrated, and started back into the script ("OK, you need to close out all your programs").  I mentioned I didn't believe I was experiencing any infection.  He said he could tell that I was, right now!   I interrupted forcefully and told him I was going to talk now, and that when I was through, I'd listen to what he had to say.  I asked him to tell me what we were ultimately going to do to my PC.  He lost his marbles, got so flustered claiming this was his first day, indicated he was going to get a supervisor, that he was Microsoft Technical Support, and indeed that he could see "RIGHT NOW YOU ARE EXPERIENCING" this so-called virus.  He said "...here comes the technical supervisor...", and flustered, said, "forget it" and hung up.

A fun phone call.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Social engineering Red Cross virus scam
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 02:41:12 pm »

You're a better person than me for answering an out of area call.

I wonder what the hook was?  Were they going to ask for money to fix the problem?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 02:49:52 pm »

I just wonder how someone knows you own MC and get your phone number. I'd be worried ...

Or isn't MC standing for Media Center in this case ?

MrC

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 03:07:52 pm »

The US phone system is peculiar, and CID is really pathetic.  My wife's office just 5 miles away shows as Out of Area.  Probably because they have some link w/their N.Y. office.  Most other times the CID shows Wireless Caller, Private Caller, Name Not Found, Unknown, or even it seems all of New York is calling with New York, NY

I think there should be no Opt Out of CID.  You're calling me - identify yourself.  Maybe JimH is right - I should just not answer the phone.

@InflatableMouse - Ooops, Freudian typo.  I meant PC not MC.  All fixed, thanks.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 07:25:47 pm »

I don't answer the phone.

Unless they are leaving a message, and I really want to talk to them.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

MrC

Pages: [1]   Go Up