INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Defining two output devices (HDMI/External DAC via USB)  (Read 1428 times)

Boltron

• Junior Woodchuck
Defining two output devices (HDMI/External DAC via USB)
« on: May 22, 2012, 09:37:51 am »

I am considering the purchase of an external DAC (DacMagic 100) for playback of music. My primary use for MC17 is however for movie playback. What I would like to do is to have MC17 use a different output device for movies (the video card HDMI) and music (the DAC over USB). Reading through the docs, I think "Alternate Mode Settings" may be able to do this however I have been experimenting with some of the output modes (Remote Device/Primary Sound Device) and I can't seem to get MC17 to playback on a different device. It may simply be that the RDP "Remote Device" doesn't qualify as a valid device. So my question…

Is it possible to switch output devices HDMI (video card) for movies and USB device (DacMagic 100) for music? If so, is "Alternate Mode Settings" what I use?

While on the DAC subject, my AV Receiver is a Denon 4311CI. Can anyone comment if the external DAC would be superior to the Denon DAC for sound quality? My thoughts would be to use the analogue RCA out of the DAC to the RCA in of the Denon and simply use the Denon as a pre-amp (I use an external amp for the fronts) bypassing it's D/A conversion.
For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert.

Vincent Kars

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Defining two output devices (HDMI/External DAC via USB)
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 10:24:06 am »

In Playing Now, define 2 zones one for the HDMI and the other using th USB DAC
http://www.thewelltemperedcomputer.com/SW/Players/MC14/MC_Zone.htm

Boltron

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Defining two output devices (HDMI/External DAC via USB)
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 12:26:37 pm »

Thank you, Zones look like just the thing.

Is there a way to set the default playback zone for video v.s. music? I can right click and Send To ZoneX to play but it would be nice to have MC17 distinguish correctly based on a default.

Thx
For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert.
Pages: [1]   Go Up