INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DLNA - convert unsupported formats always seems to convert?  (Read 1931 times)

IMGrant

• Recent member

I find that setting the audio conversion settings for DLNA servers to 'convert unsupported formats' seems to convert regardless of whether the renderer supports the format or not. e.g. I have a renderer that supports MP3 and MP4/M4A, but when playing MP4/M4A files to it, they are converted to MP3 (or whatever format I set).

How can I make JRiver send the native file format if it is supported, and only convert when necessary? I don't really want to select 'no conversion' as then the renderer would choke when sent, e.g. a FLAC file.

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: DLNA - convert unsupported formats always seems to convert?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 04:59:40 pm »

I find that setting the audio conversion settings for DLNA servers to 'convert unsupported formats' seems to convert regardless of whether the renderer supports the format or not. e.g. I have a renderer that supports MP3 and MP4/M4A, but when playing MP4/M4A files to it, they are converted to MP3 (or whatever format I set).

How can I make JRiver send the native file format if it is supported, and only convert when necessary? I don't really want to select 'no conversion' as then the renderer would choke when sent, e.g. a FLAC file.
Convert when necessary will convert everything that is not required to be supported by the spec (L16) or know to be supported by everything (mp3). Since renderer support of formats is all over the place and the SinkProtocolInfo isn't always reliable, this is our baseline. The only exceptions to this are the PS3 and Xbox 360 profiles which are specifically tuned for those devices.

If you have a decent amount of bandwidth and want the best quality for everything, convert always to L16. You can then get volume leveling as well if you want.

If you don't want to convert always, you could try the PS3 template since it will play mp4/m4a as well as mp3 without conversion but will convert flac.

Pages: [1]   Go Up