INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: External .srt subtitles with mounted image files  (Read 2876 times)

audioriver

• Citizen of the Universe
External .srt subtitles with mounted image files
« on: May 31, 2012, 08:04:32 am »

I have various BD .iso images, but with the current subtitle system used by MC, it seems impossible to use external subtitles. It works fine with BD folders, just by putting the subtitle inside and renaming to index.srt. Is there a way to do it with mounted images, and if not, would you consider a way to support external .srt files?
Windows 10 Pro x64

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: External .srt subtitles with mounted image files
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 08:58:16 am »

I'm not really sure how we could support this.

Could you put the subtitle into the ISO somehow?

Or how about just expanding the ISO files to BDMV folders?  This is our recommended approach.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

audioriver

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 09:24:54 am »

No, all folders (BDMV etc.) the system sees when the iso is mounted, are read-only. That's what causes the problem. If by expanding you mean extracting the folders over from the iso to the HD, then yes that would solve the problem, but it's not practical. BD's are usually 30+ GB. MC would have to add a subtitle file selection option/explorer window to implement this. Since MC already supports external files, this shouldn't be too much of a troublesome option to add. You know better, of course.

Maybe there's software out there that allows easy file-adding to .iso's, but I'm not sure if that's possible and reliable. I'll search.
Windows 10 Pro x64

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 10:11:33 am »

If by expanding you mean extracting the folders over from the iso to the HD, then yes that would solve the problem, but it's not practical. BD's are usually 30+ GB.

Wouldn't they be about the same size before and after?

MC would have to add a subtitle file selection option/explorer window to implement this.

That might be possible.  I'm not sure how to save the selection between plays though, because the video files inside the ISO all have the same filenames.

audioriver

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 10:53:56 am »

Wouldn't they be about the same size before and after?

I'm not sure what you mean. If we have a 40GB .iso on a hard disk, extracting it on the same hd (or another one) would require another 40GB. Even worse, it'd require a lot of time, which makes it impractical.

That might be possible.  I'm not sure how to save the selection between plays though, because the video files inside the ISO all have the same filenames.

There should be no need to save the subtitle selection after playback stops. For example, an option "Select file..." could be added to the current 4 subtitle modes. If you mean, what happens with the less frequent BD/DVD's with multiple titles (TV series for example), the user could just stop playback, select another subtitle file and reopen the BD/DVD.
Windows 10 Pro x64

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 10:59:52 am »

I'm not sure what you mean. If we have a 40GB .iso on a hard disk, extracting it on the same hd (or another one) would require another 40GB. Even worse, it'd require a lot of time, which makes it impractical.

I'm saying don't store as .ISO.  Store as BDMV.  The total space required will be the same, but you'll have files that work better with Media Center.

audioriver

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2012, 11:14:54 am »

Oh, ok I see.  :)  - Yes, nowadays folders work better than iso's. It could still be of help for anyone with an existing iso collection, which would take a big amount of time to convert entirely. It will also add a bit more flexibility to MC video playback (non-iso, too) for foreign users, who sometimes use multiple language subtitle files - removing the need to rename files.

The multiple subtitles available on Region B/2 BD/DVD's has led to a vast .srt expansion & availability, which a lot of people use even for educational purposes. Such an option would help in this direction, too.
Windows 10 Pro x64

retiredgeek

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2012, 10:59:18 am »

I have the same issue with MC not allowing you to include the .srt file when subtitles are wanted.. Just about every video player available has the option of "enter file" if subtitles are not imbeded in the file being played. I have a few movies that have subtitles, but for some reason MC displays "n/a" when subtitles are selected. When I play the same movie using a VLP player I at least get "enter file" when I select Subtitles. I am using Makemkv and mergemkv and sometimes the Subtitle file will not merge so I keep the .srt file in the same folder with the movie so I can include it if needed. I am also using Handbrake to reduce the file size that I store on my computed. I usually end up with a file smaller than 7GB that to my eye is as good as the 30 GB version and I am displaying this on a 130" screen in 2.35 mode.

I love everything about MC but the issue of not being able to include .srt files. This is a real deal buster for me because I need Subtitles to be able to follow the movie. I have a hearing loss that makes a woman's voice very hard to understand.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2012, 11:10:35 am »

I have a hearing loss that makes a woman's voice very hard to understand.

Lucky you. My wife has been yelling at me for 30 years now - and I still hear every word.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2012, 12:48:13 pm »

Lucky you. My wife has been yelling at me for 30 years now - and I still hear every word.

There's your problem - hearing is not the same as listening.  :-)
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

rick.ca

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2012, 02:48:57 pm »

I am using Makemkv and mergemkv and sometimes the Subtitle file will not merge so I keep the .srt file in the same folder with the movie so I can include it if needed.

Do you mean MKVMerge/MKVToolNix? I've never had a problem adding an SRT to an MKV using that.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2012, 11:12:30 am »

I have the same issue with MC not allowing you to include the .srt file when subtitles are wanted.. Just about every video player available has the option of "enter file" if subtitles are not imbeded in the file being played. I have a few movies that have subtitles, but for some reason MC displays "n/a" when subtitles are selected. When I play the same movie using a VLP player I at least get "enter file" when I select Subtitles. I am using Makemkv and mergemkv and sometimes the Subtitle file will not merge so I keep the .srt file in the same folder with the movie so I can include it if needed. I am also using Handbrake to reduce the file size that I store on my computed. I usually end up with a file smaller than 7GB that to my eye is as good as the 30 GB version and I am displaying this on a 130" screen in 2.35 mode.

Welcome.

SRT subtitles are fully supported.  They just need to follow the naming conventions described here (look at 'Sidecar naming rules'):
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Subtitles
Pages: [1]   Go Up