INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Presence channels - hot or not?  (Read 1372 times)

Trumpetguy

• Citizen of the Universe
Presence channels - hot or not?
« on: June 03, 2012, 05:28:35 am »

Ages ago (e.g. here: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=58109.0), adding presence channels upmixing to JRSS was discussed.

I have never tested high front speakers myself, but there are people that were describing very good results using presence speakers. Even that they would prefer presence channels to rear channels if a choice had to be made.

I for one would be very interested in testing it if it was implemented in JRSS. Either as channel 7 and 8 in a 7.1 system or even better as channel 9 and 10 in a 9.x system.

Was this a hype, or is there still some interest also for JRiver users?

Trumpetguy

Re: Presence channels - hot or not?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 08:39:48 am »

*bump*

I guess the immense response to this thread means "not" rather than "hot"  ;)

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 08:56:43 am »

To have the presence channels you need extra outputs on your audio device if you are outputting via analog. I think most that are 5.1 would be better off going to 7.1 or getting better mains than using the remaining 2 channels for heights. If someone is already at 7.1, there aren't too many choices for getting more than 8 channels and they all involve pro audio devices.

If you are using HDMI and have a receiver, then you can use the receiver for heights. I have a friend with JRiver decoding and outputting to his Onkyo receiver via PCM over HDMI and the height channels work fine. I don't think any receiver will accept more than 8 channels over HDMI so the receiver still needs to be the one doing the work.

flac.rules

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 10:39:06 am »

Height channels wouldn't be my first choice, but more side channels would be great, that is a 60 degree-angle. Research indicates that this gives a better sound-field than the to extra back speakers. So with 7 speakers, its actually better with a traditional 5.1-setup and to side-speakers than 7.1 (if its properly implmented and all that)

Trumpetguy

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2012, 10:49:03 am »

To have the presence channels you need extra outputs on your audio device if you are outputting via analog. I think most that are 5.1 would be better off going to 7.1 or getting better mains than using the remaining 2 channels for heights. If someone is already at 7.1, there aren't too many choices for getting more than 8 channels and they all involve pro audio devices.

If you are using HDMI and have a receiver, then you can use the receiver for heights. I have a friend with JRiver decoding and outputting to his Onkyo receiver via PCM over HDMI and the height channels work fine. I don't think any receiver will accept more than 8 channels over HDMI so the receiver still needs to be the one doing the work.

I am not using receiver, but do all decoding and JRSS upmixing in JRiver, and then DAC directly into power amps in a 7.2 setup. Currently, I have five spare DAC channels and three spare amp channels. I'd like to see these utilized.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2012, 12:44:24 pm »

I'm all for it if JRSS can do a better job than Audessey DSX, which I am really a big fan of!

flac.rules

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2012, 02:12:08 pm »

I'm all for it if JRSS can do a better job than Audessey DSX, which I am really a big fan of!

Will be difficult to say, info about the desgin goals/principles of the JRSS-system from JRiver is at best very sparse. I wouldn't expect much info about this feature either, should it be implemented.
Pages: [1]   Go Up