INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Are we going to get a clock (time of day) display on the Live TV Guide page?  (Read 2961 times)

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe

I think this has been asked before - but I don't know if it has been answered.

Can we get a clock (to show current time of day) on the Live TV Guide screen/page?  I think the lower right corner (just like where the clock now shows on the Main (top Level) Theater View screen).
It is really a "must have feature" for real-time Live TV viewing.

Is this someting JRiver is planning to add some day - or has a decision been made not to add it?

Thanks

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!

We've talked about putting a clock on all pages, but we're not sure.  The top roller bar might have room, but since the rollers start at the middle and run right, the top left is where it'd fit best.  But this makes the time the most prominent thing on the page (by position), which seems wrong.

The green button always cycles through the root of Theater View, which has a clock, so even today it's never more than a couple taps to see the time.  The time is also on the OSD.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

NickF

I agree with CB, a clock is a fundamental element of a Guide and really needs to be visible at all times.  Top right of the page seems best.  I'm not sure of the need for a clock on other pages.

What is also really important is a direct indication of time on the guide grid with something like a vertical line.  This needs to change dynamically.  It would be very helpful to show the current status of guide programs.

Nick.
HTPC - Intel i5-760 CPU, Windows 7 64 bit, NVIDIA GTS450 Silent, RME 9632 with A04, BlackGold BGT3600; Video Processor - Lumagen Radiance XD Processor; Projector - ProjectionDesign Action Model 3 1080; Denon AVC-A1HD; 4 x Tannoy Berkley and Velodyne DD-10

CountryBumkin

We've talked about putting a clock on all pages, but we're not sure.  The top roller bar might have room, but since the rollers start at the middle and run right, the top left is where it'd fit best.  But this makes the time the most prominent thing on the page (by position), which seems wrong.

The green button always cycles through the root of Theater View, which has a clock, so even today it's never more than a couple taps to see the time.  The time is also on the OSD.

I know the clock is not more then a few tabs away, but the way I use Live TV (and I think most people do) is I watch a live broadcast and when it is over or I decide not to watch a specific broadcast anymore, I hit the Stop button on my remote. That takes me back to the Guide. I don't want to have to go anywhere else to see the time. The TV Guide page is the screen where I need to know what time it is so I can see what my TV choices are.

I don't know what you mean by "the time is also on the OSD". I can't find anyplace where the current time displayed - expcet on the main Theater View start page.

PS. i don't need the clock on any other page (as Live TV is specific to time-of-day, everything else I can play at any time  I want) - but I'll take what I can get.

Thanks

rowens

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile

I know the clock is not more then a few tabs away, but the way I use Live TV (and I think most people do) is I watch a live broadcast and when it is over or I decide not to watch a specific broadcast anymore, I hit the Stop button on my remote. That takes me back to the Guide. I don't want to have to go anywhere else to see the time. The TV Guide page is the screen where I need to know what time it is so I can see what my TV choices are.

I don't know what you mean by "the time is also on the OSD". I can't find anyplace where the current time displayed - expcet on the main Theater View start page.

PS. i don't need the clock on any other page (as Live TV is specific to time-of-day, everything else I can play at any time  I want) - but I'll take what I can get.

Thanks

+1

Sandy B Ridge

Agree, I've even programmed the Guide button on the remote to Ctrl-S for WAF!
Arrow up/down gives the OSD, the current time is in the corner of the 'timeline'.
Another useful thing would be for the EPG to update itself at regular intervals so that it keeps up to date.

SBR

xplain

• Galactic Citizen

Please consider how you do this,
I think It should be skin based, so skiners have the option to leave out the clock, or choose another position for it.

I do agree with the other users that a clock is needed, but PLEASE make it skinbased
and You could just update the default skins with a clock.

Thomas

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team

A clock on the EPG guide page is important, but I'd also like to see an indicator line or marker at the top of the guide showing the current time in relaton to the programs listed below.

So often I select something to get "program in past" when I go to watch it, a line shwing the current time would fix that very quickly :)

Thanks

MrHaugen

A clock on each page is important on all pages imo. I would vote for top right corner.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

Scolex

• MC Beta Team
  • Cheers

You can have the time in the upper right corner of the guide now.
Just place the below in the <text> section of your skins main xml
<Item Text="[Time]" Location="***" TextColor="ffffff" Rect="72,00,96,05" Capitalization="0" Alignment="1" Alpha="50" Size="[Large Text Height]" />
Sean

Sandy B Ridge

A clock on the EPG guide page is important, but I'd also like to see an indicator line or marker at the top of the guide showing the current time in relaton to the programs listed below.

So often I select something to get "program in past" when I go to watch it, a line shwing the current time would fix that very quickly :)

Thanks

Yup, more difficult to code, but an indicator line would be top notch!

SBR

NickF

You can have the time in the upper right corner of the guide now.
Just place the below in the <text> section of your skins main xml
<Item Text="[Time]" Location="***" TextColor="ffffff" Rect="72,00,96,05" Capitalization="0" Alignment="1" Alpha="50" Size="[Large Text Height]" />
Sean, I couldn't make this work as you suggested as my main.xml didn't have a text section.  I discovered that inserting:
  <TEXT>
</TEXT>
just before the </MJFS> at the end works.

Thanks.

We still need the time indicator on the grid though.

Nick.
HTPC - Intel i5-760 CPU, Windows 7 64 bit, NVIDIA GTS450 Silent, RME 9632 with A04, BlackGold BGT3600; Video Processor - Lumagen Radiance XD Processor; Projector - ProjectionDesign Action Model 3 1080; Denon AVC-A1HD; 4 x Tannoy Berkley and Velodyne DD-10

CountryBumkin

If it is that easy - why doesn't JRiver make the change for us?  ?

I was not able to make the change as the folder is "read only". And even though I am logged in as a User with Administrator rights, I could not change/remove the read-only flag. Perhaps I need to log in under the admin account.

NickF

If it is that easy - why doesn't JRiver make the change for us?  ?
JRiver do provide a clock but it's default position is bottom left where it gets covered by the guide data.  It would only take two extra *s in the position to get it into top right where we need it.

I was not able to make the change as the folder is "read only". And even though I am logged in as a User with Administrator rights, I could not change/remove the read-only flag. Perhaps I need to log in under the admin account.
Don't try to change one of the standard skins as the change will get overwritten on the next update.  Copy the Skins folder of your currently used skin and rename it as you wish.  You will need to change the Skin Name near the top of the main.xml file.  I just use Notepad to make changes.  Then copy Sean's text lines as I amended them above.

You will need to select your newly named skin in Options.

Nick.

NickF

I have added a short section in the wiki EPG on this here

Nick.

Scolex

• MC Beta Team
  • Cheers

One thing that I have done to the skins that I use is combine all of the xml files into a single file that way there is no potential for them changing with an update.
Just to clarify what I mean here are some snippets from the stock Obsidian skin and the additional files used.

Obsidian\main.xml
<SKIN Name="Obsidian" Author="Pixtudio" WebSite="http://www.pixtudio.com" BaseSkin="..\Shared\Base 2.xml" />

Shared\Base 2.xml
<SKIN Name="Shared" Author="" WebSite="" BaseSkin="Base.xml" />

Shared\Base.xml
<SKIN Name="Shared" Author="" WebSite="" />

By looking at those snippets you can see that Obsidian uses Obsidian\main.xml, Shared\Base 2.xml, and Shared\Base.xml. If any of them change you will have 3 files to search
to find what caused the change.

The above is the reason that NickF did not have the <Text> tag in his main.xml instead his <Text> tag would have been in Base *.xml, if he made the change there it would effect
any skin that uses that particular base xml file.
Sean
Pages: [1]   Go Up