INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Request - MC automatically run an external program  (Read 1462 times)

Ancient_Audiophile

• Junior Woodchuck
Request - MC automatically run an external program
« on: October 23, 2012, 05:01:12 pm »

Hi !

Long-time lurker, now posting for the first time.

I've been using various freeware audio and video programs, and have always been interested in JRiver MC, but the special features were never quite enough for me to justify the purchase.

However, I've been looking for a Music Library program that will run an external program on "play" instead of playing the audio file.   This could either be setup in the MC program internally, or for more simplicity and much less coding, just use the Windows File Type associations.

Again, I am looking for it to do this automatically instead of actually playing the file.   I do know that MC (and some of the freeware programs) already has a manual method whereby you can do that.

I'm deliberately not mentioning the reason for the request, in order to prevent the thread going off on a long tangential discussion. :)   But, in a general sense, this would allow MC to indirectly support any minor filetype or feature that was supported by some other software, without MC having to be modified for that filetype or feature itself.

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Request - MC automatically run an external program
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 05:08:28 pm »

Take a look at the Playback Method under Tools > Options > File Types.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

daveg

• World Citizen
Re: Request - MC automatically run an external program
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 07:26:57 am »

Not sure how automated you want it.  But sometimes I want certain file types to play in different players.
I right click on the file and go to "Send to->external program", you can then specify what player/program you want to use.
This entry will be saved in that menu.

Also, I have configured my right click drop down list to show most recent 10 selections, so now when I right click a file, the list will have one of the programs I want to send the file to.

It basically adds one extra click to play a file, but for me, it gives me more control over where I want the file to go.
Pages: [1]   Go Up