INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC17 won't use some of my season covert art [Solved]  (Read 3385 times)

lockdown571

• Junior Woodchuck
MC17 won't use some of my season covert art [Solved]
« on: June 22, 2012, 09:58:10 am »

So I have a bunch of seasons of top gear, and for some reason, for about half the seasons it shows the proper season poster and for the other half it shows a thumbnail from one of the episodes as the season poster. In every season folder I have a folder.jpg with the right image. I tried setting MC17 to use the folder.jpg in the file folder, but it made no difference. How could I troubleshoot this?

Scolex

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Cheers
Re: MC17 stubbornly refuses to use some of my season covert art
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2012, 10:04:46 am »

If you open the file in the tag window (alt + enter) what does the [Image File] tag say for a file that isn't working.
If [Image File] isn't listed in the tag window click the little wrench for tag display options.
Sean

NickF

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 10:26:02 am »

Put your Season art in a folder inside your Cover Art folder.  Name the folder Seasons.  Name each file with the name of the Series and Season - e.g. Top Gear - Season 4.jpg.  The trouble is that when MC Gets Movie and TV Info, your folder.jpg gets overwritten.

Read the wiki here.

Nick.
HTPC - Intel i5-760 CPU, Windows 7 64 bit, NVIDIA GTS450 Silent, RME 9632 with A04, BlackGold BGT3600; Video Processor - Lumagen Radiance XD Processor; Projector - ProjectionDesign Action Model 3 1080; Denon AVC-A1HD; 4 x Tannoy Berkley and Velodyne DD-10

lockdown571

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2012, 10:47:46 am »

If you open the file in the tag window (alt + enter) what does the [Image File] tag say for a file that isn't working.
If [Image File] isn't listed in the tag window click the little wrench for tag display options.

The individual files are linking to their correct thumbnails. The problem is with the images for each season. I'm not sure where in JRiver I can check the location of the season poster images.

lockdown571

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2012, 10:49:11 am »

Put your Season art in a folder inside your Cover Art folder.  Name the folder Seasons.  Name each file with the name of the Series and Season - e.g. Top Gear - Season 4.jpg.  The trouble is that when MC Gets Movie and TV Info, your folder.jpg gets overwritten.

Read the wiki here.

Nick.

I'll try that, although it's a bit inconvenient. Just curious, why would it matter whether the folder.jpg was overwritten? It's still there in the correct folder.

Boltron

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2012, 11:46:03 am »

I too have many issues with Season art. Some work but many do not. I followed the instructions and created a Seasons and put all my jpg's named as indicated inside it. TheaterView still does not reliably show the season art for each season, it just shows an episode image. My Cover Art folder is on a NAS mapped to a share, could this cause a problem? I'd love to figure this out, it has been dogging me for a long time :(
For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert.

lockdown571

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2012, 12:19:08 pm »

I too have many issues with Season art. Some work but many do not. I followed the instructions and created a Seasons and put all my jpg's named as indicated inside it. TheaterView still does not reliably show the season art for each season, it just shows an episode image. My Cover Art folder is on a NAS mapped to a share, could this cause a problem? I'd love to figure this out, it has been dogging me for a long time :(

I just tried it too and it didn't work. I put a "Seasons" folder inside the Cover Art folder and then named the image "Top Gear - Season 18". No dice. Did I name it wrong? Is there something I need to do to 'refresh' the posters in theater mode?

lockdown571

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2012, 08:19:18 pm »

Well after doing 'get Movie & TV info' on all my Top Gear shows, all the episode thumbnails look correct. Also, now I'm not seeing any season posters at all. I've tried using folder.jpg and using the covert art/Season folder. Neither work. I guess it's not that big of a deal, but it would be nice if this worked properly.

Sort of related question: If I change a thumbnail or movie poster in windows explorer, how do I get those changes to appear in JRiver? Will it eventually happen over time? Is there some way to easily refresh the library?

NickF

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2012, 02:10:12 am »

What version of MC are you using?  The use of the Seasons folder was introduced in MC17.133.

Is the Cover Art folder location set correctly in Tools > Options > File Location > Cover Art > Folder.

Make sure that the Series names on the images exactly match the Series names against the files in the library.

Nick.
HTPC - Intel i5-760 CPU, Windows 7 64 bit, NVIDIA GTS450 Silent, RME 9632 with A04, BlackGold BGT3600; Video Processor - Lumagen Radiance XD Processor; Projector - ProjectionDesign Action Model 3 1080; Denon AVC-A1HD; 4 x Tannoy Berkley and Velodyne DD-10

lockdown571

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2012, 10:13:14 am »

What version of MC are you using?  The use of the Seasons folder was introduced in MC17.133.

Is the Cover Art folder location set correctly in Tools > Options > File Location > Cover Art > Folder.

Make sure that the Series names on the images exactly match the Series names against the files in the library.

Nick.

Thanks for the response. I'm running 17.0.173. Here's an example of one my posters: "C:\Users\Server\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 17\Cover Art\Series\Seasons\Top Gear - Season 01"

My videos for that season are located in a folder "...tv\Top Gear\Season 01\files"

Under Tools -> Options -> File Location -> Cover Art:

Audio mode: In a specified folder
     Folder: C:\Users\Server\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 17\Cover Art\

Is this all correct? Is it possible the pictures in Theater Mode are cached? I notice it caches my movie posters (and I'd still like to know how to refresh them). How do I delete the cache?

NickF

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2012, 06:36:44 pm »

Thanks for the response. I'm running 17.0.173. Here's an example of one my posters: "C:\Users\Server\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 17\Cover Art\Series\Seasons\Top Gear - Season 01"

My videos for that season are located in a folder "...tv\Top Gear\Season 01\files"

Under Tools -> Options -> File Location -> Cover Art:

Audio mode: In a specified folder
     Folder: C:\Users\Server\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 17\Cover Art\

Is this all correct? Is it possible the pictures in Theater Mode are cached? I notice it caches my movie posters (and I'd still like to know how to refresh them). How do I delete the cache?

It looks as though you have put the Seasons folder inside the Series folder.  It should be at the same level as Series inside Cover Art.  So it should be:
"C:\Users\Server\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 17\Cover Art\Seasons\Top Gear - Season 01"

Nick.

lockdown571

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2012, 08:36:23 am »

It looks as though you have put the Seasons folder inside the Series folder.  It should be at the same level as Series inside Cover Art.  So it should be:
"C:\Users\Server\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 17\Cover Art\Seasons\Top Gear - Season 01"

Nick.

That worked! Thanks! Last question, is there a way to manage the season posters through the JRiver interface like you can with the episode thumbnails and the TV show cover art? It doesn't look like it, but maybe I missed it.

NickF

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2012, 09:26:59 am »

That's good news!

The Seasons folder was only introduced recently.  I don't think there is a way of managing them, other than what you have done.  I imagine that we may see these downloaded automatically via the TVDB api at some stage.

Nick.

lockdown571

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: MC17 won't use some of my season covert art [Solved]
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2012, 03:41:33 pm »

Something odd I've noticed is that when clients are connecting to my server, they pull the correct movies posters, season posters, and thumbnails, but not the correct TV show cover art. Instead they load the default cover art (i.e., the covert art that my Server found originally before I manually changed it). I don't even know where they're finding and loading the original cover art from.

NickF

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2012, 04:42:38 pm »

I'm not completely sure about this!  The TV Show art downloaded from TVDB is stored with the video file.  It is named similarly to the video file, e.g. Top Gear.S01E12.jpg.  Do your shows play OK on the client?  If they do, the client can use the path set up by the server.  If they don't, you may need to map the drive where they are held so that the path is the same for the client as it is for the server.

Nick.

lockdown571

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2012, 04:51:36 pm »

I'm not completely sure about this!  The TV Show art downloaded from TVDB is stored with the video file.  It is named similarly to the video file, e.g. Top Gear.S01E12.jpg.  Do your shows play OK on the client?  If they do, the client can use the path set up by the server.  If they don't, you may need to map the drive where they are held so that the path is the same for the client as it is for the server.

Nick.

Sorry what I mean is the cover art for the entire show. Like when I'm in the series or season tab in theater mode and I'm looking at the poster for each show. So for instance, I didn't like the Breaking Bad poster, so I changed it. I did this by right clicking the first episode in my library, going to "cover art" and then "get from internet". This gave me a selection of Breaking Bad posters, and I chose one I liked. This change was reflected in the library mode for the server, but not the clients. My understanding is this file is stored in "\\Server-PC\Users\Server\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 17\Cover Art\Series". I don't see a copy in the folder where the shows are actually stored. Maybe I have it stored in the wrong place like I did for the season cover art, although this "series" folder was created by JRiver. The cover art for each season though (i.e., season 1, season 2, etc.) does appear in each client.

NickF

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2012, 05:20:06 pm »

Sorry what I mean is the cover art for the entire show. Like when I'm in the series or season tab in theater mode and I'm looking at the poster for each show. So for instance, I didn't like the Breaking Bad poster, so I changed it. I did this by right clicking the first episode in my library, going to "cover art" and then "get from internet". This gave me a selection of Breaking Bad posters, and I chose one I liked. This change was reflected in the library mode for the server, but not the clients. My understanding is this file is stored in "\\Server-PC\Users\Server\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 17\Cover Art\Series".

We need to get the terminology straight here!  I defined the terms in the wiki which I referenced near the top of this thread.   Series is the top of the hierarchy so when you say "cover art for the entire show", you mean Series.
I don't think downloaded Series art is stored in the Series folder by default.  I haven't done it so I may be wrong.  If you put an image in there and give it the Series name, e.g. Breaking Bad.jpg, it will override anything else.  I think your clients will also see it.  Mine certainly do.  I download my Series and Season art directly from TVDB.com - an excellent site.

Edit:  I just tried replacing one of my Series art files using the get from Internet option and it did store it in the Series folder.  So, if yours has done the same - can you check this - I don't know why your clients don't see it.

Nick.

lockdown571

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2012, 05:53:45 pm »

We need to get the terminology straight here!  I defined the terms in the wiki which I referenced near the top of this thread.   Series is the top of the hierarchy so when you say "cover art for the entire show", you mean Series.
I don't think downloaded Series art is stored in the Series folder by default.  I haven't done it so I may be wrong.  If you put an image in there and give it the Series name, e.g. Breaking Bad.jpg, it will override anything else.  I think your clients will also see it.  Mine certainly do.  I download my Series and Season art directly from TVDB.com - an excellent site.

Nick.

Sorry about that. I assume that's how it's suppose to work, and that does seem to work for the Seasons art. I put posters in that folder manually and they now appear in the server and the clients. Changes to the series poster though are reflected in the server but not the clients.

Edit: Just saw your edit. Yes, I just did exactly that. Changing the series art files using that method changes the files located in the Cover Art\Series folder. These changes are reflected on the server but not client.

lockdown571

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2012, 06:28:03 pm »

Well I can tell you one thing that refreshes the series art: reinstalling JRiver completely. I'm guessing that the old posters are cached somewhere for the theater view.

NickF

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2012, 07:09:11 pm »

Yes, I have found the same.  I think I came across this in the past.  I can't recall where it is.  I have just found that if you change the image but use the same filename, as you would, the cache does not get updated with the new image.  I just deleted a file and restarted my server and client and the client used the first episode art, which is normal.  I then re-created the deleted file and restarted again and the new file showed up.

There is clearly a bug in the way the synch works.  It seems to only be looking for new files.  It should do a complete synch every time.  JRiver may argue that this would slow things down and is only done at install but the status quo isn't acceptable as updated art won't show until a software update, as you found.

Nick.

lockdown571

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2012, 07:32:43 pm »

Yes, I have found the same.  I think I came across this in the past.  I can't recall where it is.  I have just found that if you change the image but use the same filename, as you would, the cache does not get updated with the new image.  I just deleted a file and restarted my server and client and the client used the first episode art, which is normal.  I then re-created the deleted file and restarted again and the new file showed up.

There is clearly a bug in the way the synch works.  It seems to only be looking for new files.  It should do a complete synch every time.  JRiver may argue that this would slow things down and is only done at install but the status quo isn't acceptable as updated art won't show until a software update, as you found.

Nick.

That's a really good point, and you're probably right. I agree that it should update the art periodically, because how else would changed posters get pushed to clients, considering the names stay the same?  An alternative would be a way to force update the posters within theater mode and maybe tie it to a button on the remote contol.
Pages: [1]   Go Up