INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Those Wacky Korean 27" IPS Monitors Everyone Has Been Buzzing About  (Read 6508 times)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

So, my favorite super-nerd website, Tech Report, just did a review of one of those Korean 27" 2560x1440 IPS monitors that you can buy on eBay now and which everyone has been chattering about around the Interwebs.

If you are looking at one of these, this mini-review is worth checking out, even though he doesn't go into great detail with graphs and charts and esoteric dials that you could never possibly hope to understand.  Here's a taste:

I didn't know what I was getting myself into at the time, and really, I still don't know entirely. There are forum threads packed with information about these monitors, but they don't tend to cite sources for any of that info. I'm sure there's good documentation in Korean, but I don't read the language, so it's hard to say.

That leaves us with all sorts of interesting hearsay about these displays. They say the panels themselves are manufactured by LG, a major name in the business. They say the same panels are used in Apple's Thunderbolt-enabled Cinema Display. They say if you order one from the right seller, he will arrive at your house, riding a unicorn made of bacon, in order to deliver it. When you hook it up and turn it on, the monitor will shoot rainbows directly into your rods and cones, triggering a fit of ecstasy unprecedented in human history.

At least some of that info is probably correct. For instance, I can confirm the bit about the rainbows personally. Other details may not be accurate.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Daydream

Re: Those Wacky Korean 27" IPS Monitors Everyone Has Been Buzzing About
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 05:49:08 pm »

I just got here to see if anybody had any comment on that report :).

There are 2 things that I took out from it: like the reviewer I don't mind most of the absent features as those are nothing compared to the price/value of the device. But the uneven brightness (on the piece he has) is a bummer (since I won't buy one to play games but for photography related stuff). However, as he notes at some point, for a bit more (~$400 + tax as opposed to ~$367 on ebay) you can buy one from Microcenter and that's awesome since you have a return option if some feature is way off the specs.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 06:15:12 pm »

I read that review too, and the price is tempting.

I went through a similar thing, but at 24".

I bought a 24" Soyo IPS in 2007 for $320, at a time when a good Dell was over $500.

But it died, got refurbed (no monitor for weeks), then died again all within two years.

So in the end, I bought the same Dell I had wanted from the beginning, except I was out the $320 and I had a worse monitor for a couple years.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 06:47:43 pm »

On my server I have an ASUS PA246Q (16:10 24" P-IPS) and an older Samsung 244T (16:10 24" S-PVA).  I'm very happy with them, and I'm glad I bought the ASUS.

I too was disappointed by the uneven backlighting, as that would be a bit of a dealbreaker for me, but not entirely surprised.  But I'm not really in the market for a new monitor now.  What is more exciting is that in a year (or less) this will force down the prices of the 27s from more "reputable sources".  A nice ASUS at 2560x1440 would be sweet, and I'm sure it is coming.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up