INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: no DVD audio  (Read 2102 times)

shAf

• Citizen of the Universe
no DVD audio
« on: July 28, 2012, 05:27:12 pm »

My system HD crashed so I had to re-install Win7 on a new drive.  My new installation of MC17 is good in every respect except that I cannot get any audo when trying to play a DVD.  I instead get the "Playback Problem" error message, which goes on to say ...

Something wrong with playback.

Details:  Playback could not be started on the selected audio output.
The audio format may not be supported by your hardware. ...

All the hardware is the same.  My MC17 setting were configured by a recent backup.  Audio is OK from MP3 music and MP4 video.  Do I need to install something else??

Win7, 64bit
HDMI audio output

TIA  :)
cheerios from the Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland

shAf

Re: no DVD audio
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 02:58:44 pm »

Anyone?  ?

Red October is enabled, which I thought was supposed to remedy this kind of situation(?)

TIA  :)

mbagge

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 05:00:05 pm »

My guess would be that you are trying to play multichannel audio on your hdmi connection.you should configure your audio to use bitstreaming.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2012, 05:24:30 pm »

Configure DSP Studio > Output Format to use a format your hardware supports.

More here:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Audio_Setup
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

NickF

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2012, 05:39:05 pm »

My guess would be that you are trying to play multichannel audio on your hdmi connection.you should configure your audio to use bitstreaming.
It is best not to use bitstreaming.  I am aware that many users do but you will not be able to use any of the DSP features nor Video Clock, which you need to get really smooth video playback.

Nick.
HTPC - Intel i5-760 CPU, Windows 7 64 bit, NVIDIA GTS450 Silent, RME 9632 with A04, BlackGold BGT3600; Video Processor - Lumagen Radiance XD Processor; Projector - ProjectionDesign Action Model 3 1080; Denon AVC-A1HD; 4 x Tannoy Berkley and Velodyne DD-10

shAf

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 05:56:11 am »

More here:

Thanks Matt!

Still it will probably come down to determining "a format your hardware supports" ... which brings up the "bitstreaming or not" debate.  My working setup (before reinstallation) was for bitstreaming out HDMI and letting my Yamaha AVR do the decoding, which worked without any issues.  What MC17 might contribute over and above "bitstreaming + AVR" aside, and especially with regard to "a format your hardware supports", wouldn't choosing "bitsteaming" be the more hardware independent choice? ... and why wouldn't it work out of the gate??

shAf

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012, 02:18:11 pm »

More here:

I read what the wiki had to say ... Windows audio works and tests OK ... returned to MC17 options to make sure the same audio device was selected ... tried setting the bitdepth to both 16bit and 'same as source' ... set the output mode to the reccommended 'WASAPI' (... all of which are consistent with the prevous configuration ...), and I still get the same error message.

For general Video settings, I tried Bitsteaming 'none' and 'HDMI' with Red October set to 'standard' ... still the same error ...

Also it's a bit strange that the Wiki suggests testing the audio output for all audio sources that do work ... and there are no suggestions for DVD playback ... which does not work(??)

Edit: I had previously installed codecs ... but I haven't gone there yet ... beliving MC17 was all that was needed(?)

shAf

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2012, 06:59:09 am »

... no one!? ... It must be that I haven't yet provided enough information ... but this hardware should work -- I've only re-installed the same OS (Win7 64bit) and MC17 on a new HD.  What I have not done is install any additional codecs (e.g., CCCP: Combined Community Codec Pack, which is referenced at MC's Wiki).  I haven't done so because I don't want to install anything that isn't absolutely necessary, and because the MC Wiki is unclear because parameterizing video playback is now different that what the Wiki speaks of (e.g., there is no longer a "Playback" options page).  

Options=>File associations does provide a choice of "playback method" for IFO, but I'm not hearing from anyone here that anything other than 'Automatic' of explicitly choosing "JRiver Video engine" (or anything else) is what is required.  The other method choices I have available are "Quicktime", "Windows Media", "RealPlayer", or external.  I imagine if I were to install CCP or FDDShow, those options would also be available(?)  Still ... why would I need install something else?

I'm still investigating, and will report back, ... but please advise ...

Edit:  Choosing any of the above alternative "methods" other than automatic did not work either ... altho each came back with a different "Problem with playback" error message, and the error associated with the Quicktime engine implied I need to install the most recent version, when the most recent is installed. ... I investigate further ...

Edit2:  I read the Wiki's reference to "DirectShow Playback Guide", which states early on ...
IMPORTANT NOTE: MC16 introduced Red October, a simple and reliable way of using DirectShow filters. Select Red October Standard under video options. The following is needed mainly for earlier versions of MC.

... but goes on to state in section "DVD and MPEG-2 Playback" ...
For DVD playback, you need DVD capable MPEG-2 video decoder and a MPEG-2 / AC3 audio decoder. These filters may or may not already exist on your computer. Some computers come with filters for DVD; some do not. Filters may also come with installation of some third-party software. ...

The entire Wiki topic never does reference Windows 7, nor does it reference the change in MC options as to where & how parameterization of MC17 is now accomplished (and tested).  It would seem that a 3rd-party installation may be needed, but parameterization of MC v.17 has changed considerably, and the last quote is not in the context of Red October(?) ... please advise ...
TIA  :)

shAf

Solved: no DVD audio
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2012, 11:20:27 am »

SUCCESS!!   ;D

... the more I thought about, I remembered having problems with the HDMI driver that comes as part of the graphics driver (Intel G35 graphics chipset) ... which seemingly did install properly with the Win7 install.  Having Win7 search for the most up-to-date driver didn't change anythng, so I went searching for the chipset driver at Intel and found one for Win7 64bit that was dated 2009, rather than the 2008 date associated with the current driver.  I installed it ... made note of the new speeds and new bitdepths it supported ... made appropriate modifications to MC17 DSP & Output formats ... and Voila!! ... I have DVD sound again   :D

Now ... I only have to play with "to bitstream" or "not to bitstream" ...

Cheerios ...
Pages: [1]   Go Up