INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Windows 8: Amazing on a HTPC? (Not So Sure Otherwise)  (Read 21990 times)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Windows 8: Amazing on a HTPC? (Not So Sure Otherwise)
« on: July 30, 2012, 09:41:10 pm »

So... I don't know about you, but I'm thinking Windows 8 might be pretty darn amazing on my HTPC.  I'm really not so sure about my desktops, and I'll probably try it out in a VM for a while first to be sure, but I really think it might be pretty slick on the HTPC.

I'm nervous about the new UI Skin though.  I like the glass.  I haven't seen good screenshots of the new UI though.  Just bits and pieces of Windows.  I need to see how it all looks together, with a Window on a desktop and the whole thing at once.  But I'm skeptical.  It looks... Way too.... Old.  Or something.  I don't know, I'm not convinced the "flat, authentically digital" design fad is a good one.  Seems throw-backy and probably short-lived to me.

I don't know.  I've tried out the most recent preview (which doesn't have the new skin), and I need to get used to the control system, but I think it might be good in the end (again, I'm just talking about the HTPC, for the rest, the jury is still out).

What does everyone else think?  Anyone else thinking the same thing?
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

GrowlHowell

Re: Re: Windows 8: Amazing on a HTPC? (Not So Sure Otherwise)
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 10:02:41 pm »

Well I haven't used it a ton, but from what I've seen, it's incredibly snappy. Performance as a whole has increased quite a bit over 7. I think that should prove fruitful for all things media related.

As far as design is concerned, the screenshots don't do it justice. In my humble opinion, at least. The colors are subdued, and the choices are pretty nice.

Don't let the internet's opinion sway you. Try it out. I think it's going to be a great OS.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
Re: Windows 8: Amazing on a HTPC? (Not So Sure Otherwise)
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 10:12:06 pm »

Oh, I will be.  I have a machine that I'm dying to put the RTM on as soon as it is available.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2012, 03:47:14 am »

I read your post Glynor, but you don't explain why it would be nice on a HTPC? My HTPC sits in Theater View all day unless I need to do some configuration/tweaking whatever. I often do that via a Remote Desktop anyways. The OS is not shown 90% of the time.

I don't like W8 one bit.

People claim its faster, snappier, boots faster. Maybe for them I can't judge that. For me, compared to a fresh Windows 7, there is no noticable difference. Maybe others compare to an already running installation I don't know. Basically the entire Metro way feels forced and unnatural. The way you work between Metro and non-metro programs is clunky. The way they implemented this is cheap and feels out of place. There is no intregral way to work, neither feel "at home" if that makes sense. Microsoft had to deliberately cripple desktop mode to force people into Metro but you're still forced to use it - outrageous.

A random list of annoyances:
- Window borders in destkop mode are still not adjustable - probably never will after W8. They are WAAY to thick for such a minimalistic skin.
- When choosing black as your theme color, the minimize/restore buttons are virtually invisible.
- The switching between desktop mode and metro mode is annoying and inevitable for certain programs, it's not just a visual change it requires a radically different way of working. These switches make it harder to get used to the "new metro way" of doing things.
- Metro is a waste of desktop estate, especially on 1920x1200 or larger displays due to things running full screen that don't require it.
- Metro kills multitasking/working with multiple programs, mainly due to the forced fullscreen for each program.
- Sidebar for running programs is crap in most cases, it makes them unreadable and basically unusable. If its just for task switching, then its redundant.
- Microsoft obviously doesn't understand that drag/drop with the mouse is NOT the same as swipes on a touch screen. On big screens you may not reach the edge with a window you're dragging. What if I want my mouse slow and accurate instead of the default? Mouse movement on your desk does not translate 1:1 to your pointer moving on screen. With swipes, your finger litterally moves something on the screen, that is 1:1. Microsoft doesn't seem to understand this fundamental difference.
- The mouse over areas on the side and corners are rediculously small, makes it too hard to move there, Especially with multiple screens. Microsoft supposedly came up with tricks to help but it doesn't feel that way. It's clumpsy at best.
- IE Address bar is at the bottom in metro mode, contradicting some other Microsoft applications which did not see this change.
- Some applications do not show on the taskbar when switching to desktop mode. Open IE, move it to the side, open Maps and then switch to desktop mode. Maps is not shown in the task bar.
- In metro mode its unclear which applications are open and running or which taskbar icons you have open.
- Why do icons have checkmarks?

I can go on and on and on. The list is endless. I realize some may be unwarranted because I don't know how it works. I still think W8 is crap and I'll never use it at home. I refuse vigorously :P.

shAf

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 07:24:58 am »

I read your post Glynor, but [...]

I don't like W8 one bit.

People claim its faster, snappier, boots faster. [...]

Thanks IM for this input!  I'm wanting to purchase another HTPC, and thinking seriously about the Dell Alienware XP51.  I was just customizing my order and thought I was happy to see that Win8 now comes standard.  However, unless Win8 somehow supports new HTPC hardware, your post urges me to instead ask for Win7, and possibly the Win8 upgrade.
cheerios from the Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 07:44:36 am »

I read your post Glynor, but you don't explain why it would be nice on a HTPC? My HTPC sits in Theater View all day unless I need to do some configuration/tweaking whatever. I often do that via a Remote Desktop anyways. The OS is not shown 90% of the time.

Mine doesn't.

I agree with most of your criticism when it comes to "normal desktop usage".  But like I said... I was only talking about using it on my HTPC.  If you just use your HTPC for media, and just use it in MC's Theater View, then it'd be irrelevant.  But I don't.  I use lots of stuff on my HTPC.

And many of those things you dislike (but not all, for sure) will actually make it easier to use on a big screen from 10' away, just like they do on a tablet.  Unfortunately, though, Metro doesn't work as well as I'd have liked with arrow keys and enter, which is completely silly since it is a big grid.

I hate the new skin though.  It is garish, and I completely agree about the window borders.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2012, 07:52:12 am »

- Why do icons have checkmarks?

FYI:  This is an option in Windows 7 too, which is enabled by default if you attach a touchscreen.  It makes it possible to multi-select icons when you don't have a keyboard with a shift or control key handy.  You can turn it off.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2012, 04:20:28 pm »

FYI - I upgraded my Daughters Lenovo X200 tablet PC to Win8 (the only box we had with a touch screen) and I've already had her ask to go back to Win7 :(  The main issue is that this laptop run the Intel GMA 4500MHD and Intel have no plans to release drivers for Win8 for this chipset.  That means Minecraft refuses to play.  So ... the net being full of resourceful bods, you can get the Win7 version of the driver to install (http://www.neowin.net/news/how-to-install-legacy-intel-hd-graphics-drivers-on-windows-8) but perhaps not unexpectedly she is seeing some instability when playing minecraft.

Lets see how it goes this weekend....else back to W7!
JRiver CEO Elect

Daydream

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2012, 04:21:38 pm »

For the life of me I can't find one good thing that would make me buy into Windows 8. I used all MS OSes and only that. Even Vista after SP1. And I don't feel like getting this one, not even a little bit.

It is faster. In what conditions? W7 vs W8 on mechanical drives? Sorry but the big improvement in boot time and speed in general was not brough on by Windows but by SSD. Those cut the boot time from minutes to seconds. If you tell me now that W8 is faster or goes to hibernation (who's using that?) in 5-10 seconds faster - WHO CARES? The next step up is instant on / instant off not spending $$$ dollars to shave 5 seconds off. And you can already do that with Suspend.

I don't have a touch screen for my desktop, and even if I had one (they're available, it's not that much of a stretch) does anybody actually picture themselves gesticulating in front of it??? Your arms are gonna fall off in 5 minutes. So W8 it's not for that, it's for tablets. So why would I buy it for desktops? Just to have the former Start Menu that popped up in a corner without taking the full screen, being replaced with something that flips the entire screen just so I can search for apps? Or to shell money for the likes of Start8 to restore things that were taken?

And I'd like to know (I don't say it's impossible - just that it exceeded a decent search time) how do I plug all my music and my pictures and whatnot in these new programs and their corresponding tiles in Metro - without bringing them inside Windows' libraries??? I would never ever organize my media with a OS built-in feature. I can't stand the dependency. My structure, my folders, my symlinks if I chose to, not the OS's, which are already made with the hidden purpose to separate the users from the knowledge of where things are for real. "Here, press the button, don't think". Where on HDD are they if you shortcut disappear? "Err... I don't know...!?" I don't like anything that advances that kind of pattern (this is not just about W8).

Oh, and does Logic Virtu work with W8 'cause I could not convince it to run with my Sandy Bridge and 7850?

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2012, 05:22:26 pm »

I was thinking ... and I don't do that too often cos it hurts  ;D

We, as in the critical tech savvy nerds, are a small minority. The majority of people "just use" a PC. What do THEY think of Win8? Will they like it? Will they adapt? Most people I know that "just use" a PC don't like big changes, they adapt poorly and each time I see them behind a pc they curse and swear because although that had Win7 for 6 months at least, they still have a hard time adapting to the changes over WinXP. But I guess that's because they still try to understand and do the fancy stuff they see me do. What about folk that just emails, browses the web and writes a letter?

I don't know, I'm bad I just want Win8 to fail like ME and Vista, so we can get something really fancy like Win7 was - I really like Win7. I guess I'm just a bit afraid that the folk that just emails will really like it because of its simplicity. I'm actually afraid Win8 just might be a success.

FYI:  This is an option in Windows 7 too, which is enabled by default if you attach a touchscreen.  It makes it possible to multi-select icons when you don't have a keyboard with a shift or control key handy.  You can turn it off.

Right, that's true I enabled that once and thought, that is stoopid; you can click an entire icon or select a line, why would anyone want a small checkbox to select something? Didn't realize that are actually people using touchscreens with Win7 too  ::).

... I was only talking about using it on my HTPC.  If you just use your HTPC for media, and just use it in MC's Theater View, then it'd be irrelevant.  But I don't.  I use lots of stuff on my HTPC.

And many of those things you dislike (but not all, for sure) will actually make it easier to use on a big screen from 10' away, just like they do on a tablet.  Unfortunately, though, Metro doesn't work as well as I'd have liked with arrow keys and enter, which is completely silly since it is a big grid.

Kinect? Flap your arms about and control Media Center. Now that would be cool.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2012, 04:48:54 am »

I know most of you guys can't read dutch (try page translation if you wish to read more) but here's a comparison of Win7 against Win8.

Just look at the benchmarks, score numbers and terms like USB, CPU an GPU  don't need translation anyways ;).

Daydream

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2012, 06:30:13 am »

"niet wereldschokkend". I agree :).

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2012, 06:45:37 am »

Even that is an overstatement ;).

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2012, 12:06:47 pm »

Ars did a pretty good set of comparative benchmarks too, using a range of different systems:
http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2012/10/gentlemen-start-your-benches-measuring-windows-8s-performance/

They found not much difference.  Sometimes Windows 8 was slightly better than Windows 7, sometimes slightly worse.  None of the differences were huge, save boot time (which is still mostly gated by POST and tends to be worse on higher-end systems with lots of add-on controllers).  I imagine we'll see more detailed analysis from Anandtech and Tech Report in the coming weeks.

drmimosa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2012, 01:29:00 pm »

Just upgraded from Win7 to Win8. If you hunt around online you can find a promo code for a $15 upgrade. The promotion is for people have bought a Windows PC in the last four months. However, no proof required for the purchase date.

So far, JRiver is one of the only programs that worked well immediately - I had to reinstall, but everything worked right away. Audio, TV, and Media Network work great. Bravo, devteam.

Lots to be frustrated about. I also like the idea of a Metro-based HTPC homescreen, but so far the apps for Netflix and Youtube just don't work, crashes immediately. In general, I like having the Metro launch environment. I really don't like jumping back and forth between the two very different app environments, however. The OS switches back and forth all the time, it feels pretty scattered and disjunct.

Also, why are the Steelers playing football dressed like honeybees? Come on, Skins!!!

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2012, 03:09:18 pm »

FYI - I upgraded my Daughters Lenovo X200 tablet PC to Win8 (the only box we had with a touch screen) and I've already had her ask to go back to Win7 :(  The main issue is that this laptop run the Intel GMA 4500MHD and Intel have no plans to release drivers for Win8 for this chipset.  That means Minecraft refuses to play.  So ... the net being full of resourceful bods, you can get the Win7 version of the driver to install (http://www.neowin.net/news/how-to-install-legacy-intel-hd-graphics-drivers-on-windows-8) but perhaps not unexpectedly she is seeing some instability when playing minecraft.

Lets see how it goes this weekend....else back to W7!

Unfortunately back to W7 - can not get something as simple as Minecraft to play without BSODing (I'm sure it is the Graphic Drivers)...
JRiver CEO Elect

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2012, 03:13:48 pm »

How old is that tablet PC?

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2012, 03:22:13 pm »

2 Years Old - Lenovo X200 Thinkpad Tablet (7448CTO)

It will be the lack of real W8 drivers for Intel GMA 4500MHD and intel have said they don't plan on releasing them.
JRiver CEO Elect

gvanbrunt

• MC Beta Team
  • MC Nerd
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2012, 04:25:00 pm »

I've been using Windows 8 for over a year since the developer preview was released at the PDC. I also purchased a Samsung Series 700 Slate like the ones that were given out to the developers there. I've also had it on my main work computer since the RC so I've been using it quite a bit.

For me, it was a little hard to get used to, but there is no way I'm switching back. The comments I'm hearing are the same as those when Vista was released. Why did the change the menu, etc etc. The answers are the same, technology moves on and a new approach is needed. If you really want to slowly navigate to every program via a Start Menu, there are programs to let you do so. Or, you can hit Win+Q and type in what you are looking for much faster. You now have an entire screen for organizing your start menu. It will even add scrolling if you need it. The point is, if you change your work habits, you will likely find you can do things faster. If you want things the same, then switching an OS is probably not what you want to do anyway.

As for boot times SDD's are not the cause. I've had an SSD on my work laptop for 3 years and I can tell you without a doubt Win 8 boots much faster than Win 7 did on it. The SSD did make it boot faster than a mechanical drive, but the increase was not as noticeable as the switch to Win 8. I've also tested on a few computers at work as we will likely start deploying it on computers in the new year. Booted much faster on Win 8 by a wide margin. And these computers had fresh copies of Win 7 on it to compare to.

I don't really miss Aero. I disabled that on my Win 7 HTPC months ago and found it much more reliable and faster without it. I can see why people like it though, it really is nice looking. Win 8 desktop is kind of blah. But it "blends" with Metro (yes I know that is not the office term anymore) so I can see why MS did it.

All I can say, is go in with an open mind and learn the new UI. After that make your judgements. Also make sure you have hardware that supports it. Drivers are always an issue, but I didn't have anything major missing on the computers I tested so far. Also keep in mind that Metro and Desktop compliment each other, but are not meant to interchangeable. For instance don't expect the Metro version of Messenger to work like the Windows Live one. And don't expect the same kind of task switching you get between desktop apps. The desktop is meant to be used with a mouse and keyboard. It is possible to use touch, but very clunky feeling. Metro is not meant to replace the desktop but to compliment it.

)p(

« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2012, 05:16:57 pm »

I installed win 8 on one of our pc's. In desktop mode I dont see any real difference in performance compared to win 7. I am all for minimalism but for the desktop I think the gui looks ugly. I am not impressed so far by the stock metro style apps. They are slow loading and actually very inefficient to get things done compared to both regular desktop apps and the stock ios apps. But the new start screen makes a nice launcher for now. I dont miss the old start.  I agree that the almost random throwing back to the desktop takes away from the experience when you are in the new interface. But as long as you stay in the desktop its business as usual.

drmimosa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2012, 06:17:07 pm »

I had a lot of problems with the Win8 install today.

Some hardware related Random freezes, apps not working. PC idles hot (60C) at 50% I have old hardware (Intel T6600, nVidia 8200M), so maybe Win8 needs better gear.  None of these problems occur using Win7.

Setting up Wake-on-Lan for Gizmo took a full hour to troubleshoot (changes in user authentication, etc.)

But the biggest aggrevation was the bifurcated running environment. New apps lauched in Metro stay in Metro, but most of the apps jump back to the desktop. Sharing information between the two environments isn't very intuitive or even possible in some cases.

I like the Metro launcher. But the role of Metro is a mess. Launching 70% of apps to desktop, 30% to Metro is total mess.

Personally, I'm going to roll back and wait until the Metro vs. Desktop war goes one way or the other. Operating systems shouldn't launch into to non-compatible running environments.

gvanbrunt

• MC Beta Team
  • MC Nerd
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2012, 07:11:46 pm »

Personally, I'm going to roll back and wait until the Metro vs. Desktop war goes one way or the other. Operating systems shouldn't launch into to non-compatible running environments.

It was never meant to be one or the other and is not meant to be "a war". They are two different environments each with it's pro's and cons. You are supposed to use the tool that works best for the job at hand. MS even plans to release 2 "versions" of office. One for the desktop with full features and a cut down Metro version that works well with touch and and smaller screens. This is not the same thing is DOS vs Windows or something like that. MS has no plans of eliminating the desktop nor can I see Metro being able to replace it for many of the reasons already stated here by others.

drmimosa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2012, 08:26:43 pm »

It was never meant to be one or the other and is not meant to be "a war".

Sure, of course it isn't a war. It does look like Microsoft is pushing Metro over desktop, but hedging their bets in case it doesn't work out. It's good that it's worked out for so many users, makes me wonder what I'm missing :).

For me, the bottom line is that my set computer hardware works great on Win7, not so good on Win8. Even CPU usage was up 30% under Win8. Not sure why or if it is worth troubleshooting at this point, it took 5 hours just to get the machine to a point where I was near the capabilities and performance that I had under Win7.

As far as Metro goes, it's a great start screen. But I actually would like the option to launch all settings and apps into one or the other application environment. I found myself trying to get information from one browser to another, and it often seemed like I had two computer environments going at once.

Plus, right now all the "good" apps launched into desktop, like JRiver. A few flagship Metro apps might make a big difference.

gvanbrunt

• MC Beta Team
  • MC Nerd
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2012, 09:04:34 pm »

Sure, of course it isn't a war. It does look like Microsoft is pushing Metro over desktop, but hedging their bets in case it doesn't work out. It's good that it's worked out for so many users, makes me wonder what I'm missing :).

MS has actually been telling people over and over it isn't one over the other for about 2 years. The press has been getting it wrong though and confusing everyone. They are giving you a choice. A great example is office: Let say you have hybrid (tablet that connects to a keyboard). If you are connected to keyboard and mouse, the full blown desktop version is what you want to use. But lets say you are on a plane and only have the tablet out, the Metro version will allow you to work on documents with only touch. It is a new way of working, and a new class of devices. It isn't a tablet OR a desktop like up till now...

For me, the bottom line is that my set computer hardware works great on Win7, not so good on Win8. Even CPU usage was up 30% under Win8. Not sure why or if it is worth troubleshooting at this point, it took 5 hours just to get the machine to a point where I was near the capabilities and performance that I had under Win7.

If you are having issues, you might want to wait a month or two. Unless it is new hardware, driver issues always seem to be an issue with new OS's. Unless you enjoy tracking down and squashing things, it's not likely to be fun. :) In addition, I NEVER upgrade from one OS to another. I always start fresh and re install apps. Even if things do go smoothly, usually there is OS degradation etc and it just doesn't work as smooth as a fresh install. And Windows 8 does a great job of installing fresh. It moves program files directory(s) and user directories under a Windows.Old directory. So you retain everything ready to move back to the new environment. That will probably save you a lot of headaches.

As far as Metro goes, it's a great start screen. But I actually would like the option to launch all settings and apps into one or the other application environment. I found myself trying to get information from one browser to another, and it often seemed like I had two computer environments going at once.

If you Google there is Start Button replacement out there. I would caution against using it though. After you get used to the new Start Screen your work flow is much faster.

I also tried to use IE 10 Metro instead of the desktop and was frustrated. Looking back I should have been using the full screen version. If I want full features, that is the one to use. If I want touch only or to use on a tiny screen, Metro would have been the one. I don't use Metro at all on my PC, I switch between Metro and Desktop apps on my Hybrid as needed.

drmimosa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2012, 09:46:14 pm »

gvanbrunt, thanks very much for the advice and ideas. This is why I value this forum so much, clear advice and interesting debate.

I'd come to a similar conclusion, that it might be best to hold off this upgrade until the drivers are better for legacy hardware and the app store has matured a bit. Thanks for the tip on the clean upgrade, I'll go that route when I have time to give this another shot.

There's clearly lots of promise in the direction the MS OS is going, but the first run was fairly time consuming and frustrating. However, first thing I tried to do when I got back to Win7 was turn off the start menu.

If any other forum members are thinking of purchasing the online upgrade right now, do quick a google search for MS discount coupon, currently saves $25 and is good for 5 upgrades.

rjm

« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2012, 01:24:53 pm »

Upgraded from Win 7 to Win 8 a few days ago and am starting to like the new start screen.

I do find it rather odd how difficult it is to add a shortcut to a document on the start screen. You can do it by navigating to the document's folder, creating a shortcut, renaming it, then moving it to a folder in the start men, then pinning it to the start screen. A major pain with many steps.

Perhaps the current generation of users prefers to search for things rather than navigating to them.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2012, 03:35:17 pm »

I have Windows 8 Pro installed on a system in my basement man-cave now (before I'd been using VMs).  I'm in the slow process of upgrading my HTPC box to a new motherboard and CPU (actually, it is the motherboard from my server that died a while back, with the replacement Core i5 760 that Intel sent me for the RMAed CPU), and I figured I might as well throw Windows 8 on it to use while testing the system, and try to evaluate whether I'm going to switch the HTPC to Windows 8, or keep it on 7.

I'm still unsure.

There are some things I really like about Windows 8.  The Start Screen doesn't bother me (especially for single-monitor setups, though hitting those hot corners is way more annoying on my multi-monitor system downstairs), but...

There are other things I really don't like, and setting up ANY of the Metro-style applications is a huge pain in the butt.  I've literally had to google things seemingly as simple as "how to add a second email account to the mail app".  And other things are just half-baked:  For example, you cannot set a "default location" for a desktop PC in the Maps app.  The location services will only detect your location via GPS, WiFi geolocation, or IP address geolocation.  Since this is a Desktop PC with no Wifi, I get only IP address based location, and mine auto-detects that I'm 300 miles away from where I actually live.  You cannot change it (short of buying a GPS dongle for my PCs and wiring them to be near a window, I guess), which makes the Maps app fairly useless.  The News app is similarly confusing, and I'm completely baffled by the variety of different gestures and different ways to configure things.

And getting the charms bar to come up with a mouse is annoying.  The gestures are all completely non-discoverable, and are absolutely not mouse-optimized.

I don't know... Some things are nice, but Metro seems very half-baked (which matches what Paul Thurrott said in his reviews, but I didn't really believe it until I'd used it for a while and tried to really set it up for everyday use).

I might still switch, but before I do, I need Mobile Air Mouse to be updated to support Windows 8 Gestures.  Then I'd have easy access to a nice multitouch trackpad from the couch (I can almost always reach my phone, and my wife has one too).  Until then, I think I'm sticking with Windows 7.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2012, 01:59:38 am »

Same here Glynor I'm not switching just yet. I shrunk the system partition on my SSD in my main PC (not the HTPC) to install Windows 8. I've been playing with it in a VM as well since the betas. Are all these built in apps really that useless? I can't configure anything in them, is that really the case? That news app for instance, I can't configure a custom source?

Where are my Internet Exlporer setttings in Metro? How the hell do I configure a simple thing like a home page? But what about all the other settings, Security, Tabs, Advanced? Where did it go?

Internet Explorer browser choice bugged out. It kept popping up to make a choice, IE would then thank me for choosing it and opened this page about pinning IE. Fine, but it wouldn't go away. I could browse away but it would come back when switched back and forth between other apps. I finally closed IE and the browser choice through task manager but guess what, the browser choice screen came back! opened IE again with that annoying pinning page. This entire ordeal took about 30 minutes, it was really testing my patience and I have no idea how I got it to stay away.

Some annoyances I may get used to but thats not the point. I don't want to get used to things that are unnatural. Like, for instance when I move my mouse to the bottom left hot corner, the start thingy pops up. When I want to move my mouse to the center of it to click it, it dissapears. I don't click the edge of buttons or areas, I click the center. This is SOOOOOO annoying it gives me the cramps in my belly.

My mouse is also wearing much faster now because the distances between things I need to click; Im constantly moving from top left to bottom right; switch to an app (top left) right click, bottom right. They could have created a Metro style context menu, you know ... ::)

The desktop isn't bad, except that I still find it annoying that apps aren't available without moving an app to the background. In fact, the entire switching between apps is annoying, I don't want apps to run full screen. I want to put things next to each other or overlapped. Why can't I configure my second monitor to run Metro style and have another metro app running? Consider having to copy/paste between a metro app and notepad.

Logoff? Why isn't that with shutdown/sleep/restart anymore? It wasn't hard to find its under my User name and it's cool, but they shouldn't have removed it from the other place. Oh and that's another thing that wears your mouse. Top right, move all the way down to reach power options. There's way too much moving around with the mouse. This just goes to show that it really wasn't designed for a desktop but for touch screens. moving your hand over a 7 or 10" screen just isn't the same as moving a mouse over dual 24" screens.

Why isn't control panel integrated in Metro? And Explorer? Notepad? Calculator? Did they run out of time or what? It shouldn't be hard to show/browse files and folders in a Metro style app? There is so much switching back and forth between the two modes and many things shouldn't require it, like these examples.

I was trying out gestures with the mouse and I am just as confused as you are. I don't know what to say ... my brain just shorts out.

The Pro Win8 camp claim there was the same confusion and complaints with Vista and Win7. It's not true its not the same. And as a matter of fact I never complained about usability with Vista, I complained about instability, incompatability and it being slow as hell. I skipped Vista for those reasons (and for the same reason I postponed using XP as well). I consider Win7 the next best thing since sliced bread. Most if not all of the changes in UI and usability feel natural and they make things easier over its predecessors. The case with Win7 --> Win8 is that it doesn't make things easier and thats got nothing to do with getting used to things. If after getting used to win8 means moving larger distances, more clicks, less overview and less functionality, how is that easier? Why am I working with 2 desktop modes, one of which is like what I'm used to but its crippled, and the other is half baked? How is that easy? Why do I have a task bar that doesn't show all applications? Thats not easy is it? Why are favorite apps not organised on the desktop with the other apps? They are in this huge sidebar that I need to make appear. How is that easier than hitting the start button on your keyboard and clicking the icon on the desktop? Well, it's not.

And I know why. Because most of these annoyances are invalid when you're using a touch screen, that's why. The only reason Win8 has so many annoyances is because I'm using a mouse.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2012, 07:30:53 am »

Where are my Internet Exlporer setttings in Metro? How the hell do I configure a simple thing like a home page? But what about all the other settings, Security, Tabs, Advanced? Where did it go?

This happened to me too.

You can configure it, but you have to use the settings for IE in Desktop mode.  It isn't explained anywhere at all, and you just have to figure it out.

However.... FSM forbid you ever change your default browser away from IE.  I changed mine to Firefox.  When you do this, it replaces IE in the Start Screen with a tile for desktop Firefox.  And then you can't get Metro IE back again!  The only Metro browser you can use is whatever browser you have set as your default (stupid).  Worse, since I'd unpinned IE from the taskbar in Desktop mode already, once I did this, I couldn't get IE back (it wasn't on the Start Screens anywhere anymore and not on the Desktop) to change a setting in there.  You have to search for it.  It doesn't even show up in the All Programs thing anymore!

What the?!?

gvanbrunt

• MC Beta Team
  • MC Nerd
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2012, 09:17:55 am »

If you look at what both of you are saying, at least part of your confusion is seems you are under the impression Metro is to replace desktop applications. If I'm wrong I apologize but that is what I'm reading. It's mainly for touchscreen enabled apps etc. They are not supposed to be as fully functional as desktop apps. They have to work 100% without a mouse. If you try to use IE like the desktop version, you will be disappointed. However if you use it on a tablet, you will likely find some things work better when you don't have a mouse available. If you look at Windows 8 in that light, you will be happier. I don't use anything but a weather app from my desktop PCs. I use a lot more on my tablet.

And the built in apps are crappy and limited. I'm guessing on purpose. Do you remember all the screaming when MS "built in a browser" to the operating system? They are waiting for the third parties to deliver better apps. News is a great example, there are plenty of those in the app store already. I'm sure MS didn't want to step on any toes of potential developers. There isn't a Metro file manager yet (that I know of), however just like other OS's like iOS and Android, there will likely be many apps available soon. I'm not sure I would want a Metro file manger though. Would be kind of nasty to use if you have the desktop version available. As an example it is MUCH slower to do that kind of thing on those limited interfaces. I would never use it if a mouse is available.

As for control panel, there is one "built in" to metro. It has all the settings you need on a Metro only device (RT). Once again, if you are on a desktop, you will likely want to use the full fledged control panel.

Thanks for the heads up on Firefox. I have Chrome installed as default and I have both Chrome and IE available from the start screen - so I think the issue is with FF.

One thing I do absolutely agree with both of you though: many people are confused by Metro\Desktop. MS should have done a much better job of educating people on the two modes. At the very least they should have built in tutorials etc. The UI is such a huge change many users are going to be confused and unhappy. I'm sure a lot of that will go away once better apps are available and Windows touch enabled devices are more common. There are some glaring holes too. Where is search in the store? A huge oversight. Anyways, they need to do some major polishing. I'm guessing SP1 will likely fix a lot of that up.

The only advice I can offer is: leave the metro apps alone on a desktop. Don't even try to use them. Use it as a desktop and you will have a much better experience. After you a comfortable with the desktop side of things and using the new start screen, then play around with Metro. On a desktop it isn't very useful. You might also want to take a look at this free book:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/keithmayer/archive/2012/11/02/free-ebook-windows-8-for-it-pros.aspx#.UJfYLsXuWiE

Supposed to be for IT Pro's, but it has a lot of content that is very useful to anyone. Especially some of the UI stuff.

rjm

« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2012, 10:33:51 am »

I agree mousing is a pain on Win 8. First thing I did was find a cheat sheet for keyboard shortcuts and started memorizing.

Also agree current metro apps are unimpressive. I downloaded from the store a dozen of the most popular apps that I thought I might use and after trying them uninstalled every single one of them. Not a big deal since I am very happy with with my desktop apps.

I do really like the Windows Explorer improvements.

gvanbrunt

• MC Beta Team
  • MC Nerd
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2012, 10:54:48 am »

I agree mousing is a pain on Win 8. First thing I did was find a cheat sheet for keyboard shortcuts and started memorizing.

Good point. I also use the following A LOT:

Windows key: Opens Start Screen
Win + Q: Opens search. Very handy.

I also cleaned up my start screen a lot. Very nice how you can organize and keep the most common apps there. I search for anything I don't use on more than a weekly basis. Everything else is on the start screen.

One other thing: try right clicking on metro apps and start screen. Many useful options there. That opened a whole world after I "figured that out". Seems obvious now, wasn't back then.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2012, 12:42:47 pm »

If you look at what both of you are saying, at least part of your confusion is seems you are under the impression Metro is to replace desktop applications. If I'm wrong I apologize but that is what I'm reading. It's mainly for touchscreen enabled apps etc. They are not supposed to be as fully functional as desktop apps. They have to work 100% without a mouse. If you try to use IE like the desktop version, you will be disappointed. However if you use it on a tablet, you will likely find some things work better when you don't have a mouse available. If you look at Windows 8 in that light, you will be happier. I don't use anything but a weather app from my desktop PCs. I use a lot more on my tablet.

Not exactly, for me.  I'm trying to set it up for use on a HTPC (that is the subject of the thread, after all).  In my case, I want to use Metro in some places on the HTPC, because many of the "limits" of tablets apply equally to HTPC use (needing big targets, large fonts, full-screen UIs).

It does not seem optimally designed for this use-case, of course, but some of the things in there are so close to being good.

I'd also say that I fundamentally disagree that the current implementation of WinRT (the Metro OS environment, not Windows RT) is "just better for touch".  Keep in mind, I have a bunch of touch screen computers, and I've been trying it on them too.  My issue comes down to this fundamental design choice they made:  WinRT (Metro) is completely gesture driven.

I think gestures are best reserved for "shortcuts".  I think of them like keyboard shortcuts.  They are extremely handy if you know them, but most people don't, so the system needs to be designed so that you can still use it without knowing a single keyboard shortcut (and basically all desktop software does work that way).

I'd never put my mom in front of this thing, even on a touchscreen device.  I can give my mom or dad an iPad and let them use it with a very minimum amount of instruction (basically, the home button gets you back home).  Sure, they won't use it optimally, but they'll be able to figure out how to do simple things like add their email account and switch applications.  If I put my mom on this, opened the Weather app, and asked her to add her zipcode to it, she'd never figure it out.  She might not even ever figure out how to exit the app to "get back home".  This is very dangerous, and I think they're in for a world of hurt as "real people" start getting it with the HP they bought.

Experts (like us) just learn the gestures and then forget about the weirdness.  But most normal people don't.  My dad has had an iPad since version 1 (his work bought it for him) and he still never remembers the double-home-button application switcher trick.  I've showed him it about 1000 times.  But he still just hits the home button to go back to the springboard and then opens whatever he wants next.  It isn't optimal, but he can still use the device, and get to what he needs.

As for control panel, there is one "built in" to metro. It has all the settings you need on a Metro only device (RT). Once again, if you are on a desktop, you will likely want to use the full fledged control panel.

No it doesn't.  I completely disagree here.  There are many things you need to go into the "full" control panel for, even on a RT device.  How do you change the delay before sleep in Metro, for example?  Or install the update from Office Preview to the final in RT?  (You don't, for either, you need to go to the "real" control panel in the Desktop.)  The Metro Control Panel has some of the stuff you need, but certainly not "all the settings you need".  There are basically three places to go for settings, with little rhyme or reason for what shows up where.

How about?
* Change your language
* Change your keyboard layout.
* Add a certificate to the "trusted store" (for corporate email, for example, or just to visit an Intranet site that uses a self-signed cert).  This one, in particular, is a pain if you've un-defaulted IE.

And it isn't just settings.  The split personality pervades the OS.   For example, navigate to a file using Windows Explorer, and use the Right-Click Send To Mail function.  This doesn't work, because the Desktop doesn't know about the Metro UI at all.  You can only send files this way via a Desktop application, and there isn't one included with Windows.  You can, of course, attach files using the mail app itself, but the UI there is confusing and more difficult to navigate.  How about this, send an email via Outlook from a Metro app.  Nope, cant.  If, instead, you decide to use the Metro mail app, and you're in the Desktop version of IE (to get to a site that doesn't work right in the Metro one, for example), and you want to send a URL to an email recipient?  Again... Nope.  Click on a mailto: email link?  Nope, won't launch Metro mail.  And don't even get me started on the disaster that is the default photos app.

And then there's the Charms bar, which is utterly useless in Desktop mode.  The Search Charm won't search the foreground desktop app.  Desktop apps can't share, or be share targets, and don't store their settings in the Settings charm.  So, yet again, multiple places to look and some things work one way in one place, and another in another place.

It wouldn't be so bad if Windows acknowledged the split personality and separated the two via a strict wall, but it doesn't.  It acts like the two are integrated (the Metro Photos app being the default application for opening image files from Windows Explorer, for example), when they're not.  It writes checks promising integration that it can't cash.  As Peter Bright wrote...

There is a hard and dividing line between the two worlds. Far from allowing seamless switching between the two environments, they barely even acknowledge the other's existence. It's extremely limited, and it means that as a person who has to use the desktop for some things, I find myself avoiding Metro apps for all things. Bridging the gap is just too painful and annoying.

The only silver lining to this cloud is that there's no real technical reason for these restrictions. It would be relatively easy to, for example, allow desktop applications to participate in the share contract and other mechanisms. I've heard claims that other scenarios are being considered too, such as allowing drag and drop from the desktop into Metro apps. So the situation could improve in some future version.

Right now, though, it's a big pain point. Until this gap is closed, it leaves Windows 8 feeling like two separate operating systems poorly grafted together. You can never avoid the join entirely, but your happiness with Windows 8 will depend heavily on just how often you have to cross over. The more you try to treat the two worlds as equal, integrated peers, the worse Windows 8 gets. The more you stick to one paradigm or the other, the better it is.

Thanks for the heads up on Firefox. I have Chrome installed as default and I have both Chrome and IE available from the start screen - so I think the issue is with FF.

No, it isn't just a Firefox thing.  The difference is that Chrome includes a Metro version of their browser (which is not really Metro, just a "port" of their existing skin, but whatever).  Firefox and other 3rd party browsers do not.  If I got the current Elm nightly of Firefox, it would include a Metro version of Firefox, but it isn't ready for prime-time (I've tested it in my VMs).

The problem isn't that Firefox (or Opera or whatever) doesn't include a Metro version.  The problem is that if you select a browser as the system default, you can never get Metro IE again.  The ONLY way to use Metro IE (or Metro Chrome, or whatever) is to set it as the default.  So, with your setup, do this:

1. Set Chrome as the default browser.
2. Open Metro IE.

You cannot do #2.  It is just gone.  Worse?  Unpin the desktop IE icon from your Taskbar/Desktop.  Now you can't open that either (without pulling up the Charms bar and searching for it).  It hides it EVEN from the All Programs menu.  Basically, you have to pick one browser and that's all you get.  That's absolutely ridiculous.  Even the iPad doesn't have that limitation (I have Chrome, Mercury, and Safari on mine, and I use them for different things.)

I don't know...  I'm frustrated.  There are some really, really great ideas in here.  But it is a mishmash of half-completedness, and UI incongruities.

It feels like this is what happened:

1. Engineers at Microsoft were building a next-gen "tablet" OS (WinRT), designed to be completely separate from desktop Windows.  In other words, they were building their own iOS.
2. Bosses at Microsoft decided that it didn't matter how good their cool new OS was, because Windows Phone was cool too and was failing in the marketplace, so they needed a way to "force it".  Plus, I think it is really because Ballmer is just a true believe in "it must all be Windows".  Word comes down and...
3. They were 1/3rd of the way done with this new, separate WinRT OS, and bosses pulled them off the projects and set them to integrating it with Windows desktop.
4. This was going to require another 2 years or so to complete, which would be too late, so they shipped it half-baked.

As it is, there are really two almost-completely-separate operating systems in Windows 8, and they don't really "talk" much.  But, since Metro is half-done, you need to use the "real" Windows 8 to get a bunch of simple stuff done.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2012, 01:08:44 pm »

Awefully offtopic (sorry Glynor I didn't mean to hijack your thread with Win8 annoyances).

If you look at what both of you are saying, at least part of your confusion is seems you are under the impression Metro is to replace desktop applications.

Not desktop applications, but the traditional desktop as way of working. Microsoft makes that clear by removing the Start Menu and make the Winkey drop to Metro. The way I see it is that the Desktop is still there for backwards compatibility. I think almost every reviewer including Paul T. of the winsupersite agrees on the fact that Metro is the future of things to come, there is no going back. The reason why MS pushed it to the desktops instead of only pushing it to mobile devices is twofold: They wanted to make a statement about the future of Metro and secondly, not see another piece of work bleed to death.

Metro will be inevitable and impossible to avoid and even though the apps are lacking both in numbers and functionality, that will change. It's only a matter of time.

I guess I wanted Metro to succeed as a desktop replacement already, but its just not viable and as you say, not meant to at this point.

gvanbrunt

• MC Beta Team
  • MC Nerd
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2012, 01:38:02 pm »

I do agree with you on gestures. It does take some figuring out. Like swiping from the bottom of the screen etc.

No it doesn't.  I completely disagree here.  There are many things you need to go into the "full" control panel for, even on a RT device.  How do you change the delay before sleep in Metro, for example?  Or install the update from Office Preview to the final in RT?  (You don't, for either, you need to go to the "real" control panel in the Desktop.)  The Metro Control Panel has some of the stuff you need, but certainly not "all the settings you need".  There are basically three places to go for settings, with little rhyme or reason for what shows up where.

How about?
* Change your language
* Change your keyboard layout.
* Add a certificate to the "trusted store" (for corporate email, for example, or just to visit an Intranet site that uses a self-signed cert).  This one, in particular, is a pain if you've un-defaulted IE.

On an Windows RT device there is no desktop or desktop apps. So the only control panel you have is the Metro (WinRT) one. All Metro apps are updated (including Metro only version of Office which isn't out yet) are updated via the store. The language and keyboard layout are there. I uploaded a screenshot of them. I agree there isn't a certificate management part of the Metro Control panel. That could be an issue for mobile devices etc.

I do agree there are many "less then integrated aspects" of the two to say the least. I've been advising to just forget Metro apps at all on a desktop just because of this reason. I don't see a smooth blend of the two at all, so I agree completely there. It does seem like two separate OS's. I also think you are probably correct about not having enough time to do more "blending" before release. Most will likely come in SP1.

That aside, I do find the update Explorer, Task Manager, boot times, file systems, etc pretty useful. Enough to not want to go back to Win 7. I also would like to see some Metro related things for HTPC's. They will likely come in time. I agree that will be very useful someday.

BTW, if I ever write commercial software, I'm hiring you to find the discrepancies. :)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2012, 01:41:45 pm »

On an Windows RT device there is no desktop or desktop apps. So the only control panel you have is the Metro (WinRT) one.

That's not true.

I have one right here next to me.

There is a desktop.  Office runs in it, as does Desktop IE, Windows Explorer, Notepad, Calculator, Paint, and the CONTROL PANEL.  You cannot install applications to the Desktop, ever, on a Windows RT device, but it has one.  Windows RT and Windows 8 look almost identical.  You can't tell the difference until you try to install an x86 application.

That's a big hunk of their problem.  It looks like if you buy a Windows RT device that you'll be able to install Quicken on it.  You can't, and won't EVER be able to.  The only stuff you can ADD to a Windows RT device will be Metro apps, but it has this clunky desktop thing that you have to do for a bunch of settings and stuff.  Only Microsoft can use it, and they do all the time.

They were too busy/lazy/late to rebuild everything in Metro, but they want all 3rd Party developers to do the work.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2012, 01:46:41 pm »

Oh yeah, and click on that Link you posted for the Keyboard config.

It opens the Desktop's Control Panel.  That was exactly my point.  ;) ;D

Kitzinger1

« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2013, 06:49:23 am »

I found I enjoy Windows 8.  My situation was / is probably a lot different than most peoples though.  I've made the switch to Windows 8 and the Windows phone all at once including buying a tablet.  Overall it was about a 3k investment with the 5 phones, the tablet, and the upgrading of the two computers.  I did get Start 8 and I operate mostly in the desktop.  I use Metro for when I want to quickly check my Mail.  Between Windows 7 and Windows 8 I enjoy Windows 8 a lot more.  For the Tablet the Metro screen is a God send.  For the Computers Start 8 has allowed me to get over that initial "no Start Menu" thing.  Windows 8 is a lot snappier and quicker.  Not just with starting up but for programs in general... especially the Microsoft Office Applications.  It's not just 10 seconds faster either.  It's a good 15 to 20 seconds faster booting up and the Office programs are almost instant compared to the 2-5 second delay in Windows 7.  The other programs also operate better and seem more responsive.  Where Windows 8 really shines though is with Skydrive and the Windows Phones.   I store my pictures and music on Skydrive ($50.00 investment for 100GB's for a year) and have access to all of them no matter where I am at.  The biggest thing I like about Windows 8 is that my family has stopped bitching about the computer not acting right.  That was worth it right there.  I didn't think I would like Windows 8 but after I got the phones I decided to give it a try.  I had the duel boot for a bit but going back to Windows 7 was aggravating.  It was slow, unresponsive, didn't sync with my phones and tablet, and mail wasn't instant as it is in Win 8.  There is some little things that I wasn't happy with like Windows Media Center, the Start Menu being missing, and the semi-lack of apps.  Also the lack of being able to lock the Metro Apps into place is one of the bigger aggravating issues I have with the Metro Screen.  If you do get Windows 8 for your computer I would get Start 8 and Decor 8.  J River looks to be the program that I needed to finish out the build (especially the Blu-Ray playback).  I figured I would throw in my little bit.  I may even come back down the road after I have the entire setup done and tell you how Windows 8 runs on the big screen and the issues I have had getting it to do so.  For me and my family it was a big plunge but it led me to getting J River.  So, far I couldn't be happier.

leezer3

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2013, 10:43:04 am »

So, another experience here from me:
I upgraded my main PC to Windows 8 a couple of days ago. I'm what you'd consider a power user (at a minimum!), running two monitors, various Rainmeter bits and so-on.

Metro itself and to a lesser extent the applications in it are an utter atrocity TBQH. Sadly, a lot of other people seem to be going this way too (Gnome 3 for example), and I think it's a real shame.
The first problem I ran into is ridiculous- Apparantely I didn't have a name associated with my Microsoft Account, and so it's helpfully given me the username of leeze_000  ::) There's no way to change this I can find; I've tried updating the name through the web based management service, but it isn't coming through.

So, I proceeded to install a bunch of my usual apps, started working on a project and promptly ran into the lack of a Start Menu. The default start screen is ill-concieved, and utterly unhelpful for power users- I really don't want it popping up in 27" glory over everything I'm doing, and nor do I have any use for the multitude of junk it's trying to push onto me when all I want to do is launch calculator.
I installed a replacement, and that takes care of that little issue, but it's something that should never have been taken out in the first place. IMHO it's a fundamental cornerstone of multi-tasking to be able to launch another app easily, and this is heading dangerously into the realm of one simultaneous app with minimal interaction with others pushed by Apple and the mobile OS market.

The next thing I tried to do was to launch an image, and again I got dumped unceremoniously into fullscreen Metro, and this time it took me a good minute to figure out you need to press Escape several times or the Winkey to actually get back out of Metro. This situation is ridiculous; If I'm working on the desktop, surely it stands to reason that I don't want to be dumped into what's little more than a fullscreen photo viewer, but no.....

The charms and hot corners are also irritating, and seem designed for a tablet again, but aren't on the same scale as the rest of my gripes.

On the flip side, the Explorer improvements in UI and file copying are definitely worthwhile. I'm by no means sure about the boot time improvements, as I'm finding that the desktop takes several seconds more to load to full usability after it becomes visible (Add some Rainmeter gadgets and watch as they pop in after the desktop has loaded)
I also can't say I'm much fussed either way about the loss of Aero, it's swings and roundabouts for me.
8 is staying for the moment, although I get more inclined to murder the person who implemented Metro by the day. It's an interface that's suited to the casual tablets and the TV, not the desktop.

-Leezer-

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2013, 02:12:18 pm »

Believe it or not but I actually installed Windows 8 on my HTPC :D.

Dual boot so I can always go back :P.

I'm actually a little bit surprised I didn't run into any trouble. In fact, everything seems to work right off the bat. Windows 8 installs proper vendor drivers (albeit not the latest) for chipset, sata, network, usb 3 and video ... I only had to install the Xonar (uni) drivers. DriveBender latest installs

Also no issues with audio or videoplayback.

It does seem that the remote isn't working sometimes and a video doesn't always go fullscreen. The big green button on my remote used to cycle through view modes but that didn't work quite the same but these are just preliminary observations.

Jong

« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2013, 08:12:57 am »

I will never be going W8. Maybe by W9 they will have ironed out the kinks.

Dr Tone

• World Citizen
« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2013, 09:07:15 am »

Running W8 on all my non server machines.  Working flawlessly.

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2013, 01:52:37 pm »

I have windows 8 on 4 PC's.

I held off installing until recency because i was waiting for updated drivers for my soundcards/DACs.
I now have them and all three DACs are working perfectly.

Installation was simple and fast using a USB key.
I have no driver issues and no program issues.

As soon as the first app popped up i immediately uninstalled all of them then made a group
policy to disable windows store(have a look at the terms and conditions).
Now all is good. I like metro and don't miss the start menu.

The only issue i have found is that in order to be in a network group the PCs can't have blank log in passwords.
So now i have to log in to windows every time i start up.

I have no regrets upgrading.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2013, 01:56:39 pm »

Automatic login still works on Windows 8. You need a password, but it will login automatically.

I'd say do a Start Run, but that doesn't work :), but find a way to run this command :P: control userpasswords2. Select the user you want to automatically login and click that checkbox. Confirm with the password for that user.

I do that on my htpc for win7 and win8, works on both and makes sure that after a reboot, Theater View is loaded.

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2013, 02:37:24 pm »

Automatic login still works on Windows 8
Thanks i will give it a try.
Pages: [1]   Go Up