INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Removing duplicate files?  (Read 14403 times)

JIMV

• World Citizen
Removing duplicate files?
« on: July 31, 2012, 12:04:25 pm »

A nasty Trojan killed my primary desktop music system. Fortunately I had all my music files backed up to an external hard drive. I copied those music files to my other laptop with MC17 on it and then imported the library. Now I have 800+ files with at least 200 of them being duplicates of files already in the PC.

Is there a way to automatically scan and remove duplicate files from a library?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Removing duplicate files?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 12:27:38 pm »

The answer depends on if the duplicates are on the hard drive or just in the library.

If the duplicates are just in the library and pointing to missing files, run Auto-Import and tell it to fix broken links.

If the duplicates are actually on disk, you can use Smartlists to help you out.

As a starting point, create a new Smartlist, then use the Import / Export button and enter this:
[Media Type]=[Audio] ~dup=[Album],[Artist],[Name] ~nodup=[Album],[Artist],[Name]

That first gets a list of possible duplicates, then removes all but one of the copies.  You can delete everything in it.  Then refresh.  It should be empty once you have no duplicates.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Peter_T

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 02:13:48 pm »

Thanks, that's so easy.   ;D

nishadhasan

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2014, 10:36:53 pm »

You should try Duplicate Filter. You can find it here http://www.duplicatefilter.com It works both on windows and mac. It's really easy to use. Just try once.
Pages: [1]   Go Up