INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: IPod troubles  (Read 2723 times)

bmpadm

• Recent member
IPod troubles
« on: August 04, 2012, 06:39:04 pm »

Hello folks,

I have a 5th generation Ipod Nano and I am facing some very odd issues with it.

Currently I don´t have iTunes installed on my machine only MC 17. First question, do I need to have iTunes installed for anything at all? Or MC is enough to manage my ipod?

I guess MC is enough.

However even though I can sync my songs to the player successfully, I cannot play the songs from device itself afterwards. The IPod software says there are no songs at all in the library.

Interestingly when I plug back the ipod MC shows (and plays) all the songs I sent to it on my last sync. Odd isn´t it?

I have already tried to initialize my Ipod but this behaviour remains.

Any ideas guys?

Warm regards,
Fábio.

bmpadm

• Recent member
Re: IPod troubles
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 12:05:09 am »

Just read the forum a bit and it seems MC does not support (and does not intend to) support newer IPod models...

OK, I agree Apple is a person... but why does MC still recognizes my Ipod (as a 5th gen. model) and still syncs to it? From the MC's perspective the sync seems to work but the Ipod software reports no songs as if the device was empty. I guess this is related to the encrypted database thing... Ok, got that.

However I still have some questions for the folks here:

1. Wouldn´t it be more elegant if MC simply refused to sync with an unsupported device? Like my 5th gen. nano?

IMHO the way MC works right now induces us to error because we expect our devices to play after a seemingly successfull sync.

2. Is there a way to downgrade the Ipod software to make it work with MC?

3. Is there a workaround for this limitation? Besides using the export to iTunes feature?  :-/

Best regards,
Fábio.

rhgh

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 06:22:22 am »

I use mc itunes synchronizer.
absolutely perfect

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=51734.0

bmpadm

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 09:32:12 pm »

Thanks but no way I am buying another software! I already bought MC and I expect it to accomplish everything I need.

But thank you very much anyway.

Neco

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 05:41:05 pm »

I feel your pain, I really do.

Luckily the iPod classic is the only iPod I feel is worth owning, due to its massive storage space,  so I feel like I really lucked out there.  But at the same time,  I have trouble recommending MC to new users, or anyone looking for a "better" media player if they own newer iPods.  The fact I have to actually warn them  about the refusal (if I recall correctly) to support, after gushing about how great the program really (truly) is, it makes me feel  bad in some way.

And I certainly warn people, because it appears that JRiver does not (I never noticed any overt warnings).   I suppose it could be argued that with a program that has you purchase from inside itself, and that there is a demo available,  users would be aware.  But that doesn't mean someone wouldn't find out later if they got a newer iPod after only using an older supported generation.

I suppose it could be said, the majority of MC users might have players other than an iPod too,  but it just rubs you the wrong way,  when an application trying very hard to bill itself as the #1  Media Player / Library Manager  doesn't even support the one of the most popular devices ever created, beyond a certain model.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2012, 06:52:41 pm »

This is an Apple problem, not a JRiver problem.  We supported iPods very well.  They intentionally broke our support for them.  Apple demands that you use iTunes if you have an iPod or iPhone or iPad. 

rhgh

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2012, 06:24:21 am »

Thanks but no way I am buying another software! I already bought MC and I expect it to accomplish everything I need.

But thank you very much anyway.
hallo

I do not understand you. you're buying one of the most expensive player, which is known by the manufacturer of everything we can to communicate with other programs to prevent. and do you expect now from the other a solution.
The solution is mcitunessyncronizer.
Now I understand you do not for a second time, who you say you want no other program to buy
You can certainly find a solution at Apple Support

greetings reinhard

Neco

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2012, 10:52:42 am »

This is an Apple problem, not a JRiver problem.  We supported iPods very well.  They intentionally broke our support for them.  Apple demands that you use iTunes if you have an iPod or iPhone or iPad.  

Well I apologize if that is indeed the case.  I just remember reading a thread a while back, where I thought it was stated was that they changed the API, and that required a considerable effort on your part (both time and money) to "fix".   If that was the case, then I would certainly see my interpretation as "justified".   I mean, I could go load  Sharepod right now and sync selected directories to an  iPod touch that won't work in MC,  but sharepod is, obviously, a very sparse program..

However if that is not the case, then I apologize.  I have no intention of slighting you or your product, as I am a very happy user regardless.

I am imagining this is the case,  from http://www.defectivebydesign.org/apple

Apple does not publish the set of conventions, or "API", through which the iPod and iTunes communicate. Rather, they change it constantly. In many cases the only goal of these changes is to force customers to only use Apple products with iTunes and vice versa.
Pages: [1]   Go Up