INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: NEW: Car Radio  (Read 43195 times)

wig

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: NEW: Car Radio
« Reply #100 on: September 20, 2012, 07:19:16 am »

I tried this, created a Smartlist named 08.Test1, and a Playlist named 09.Test2 (the first unused button numbers).

Try 08. Test1

The space matters.

AoXoMoXoA

• I am a kangaroo . . . . no, really!
« Reply #101 on: September 20, 2012, 07:31:02 am »

That worked, thanks!
. . . the game is rigged

wig

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #102 on: September 20, 2012, 09:14:03 am »

-The JRiver El Camino (ie Car Radio Buttons in Gizmo): I would love to go the the Customize Views for Gizmo in options, and have these buttons available as tiles/views to add to the Gizmo home screen. Maybe a Car Radio list that comes up when you go to Add Library Item from Standard View.  I play music through Gizmo while driving, running, etc., so one button P.D. functionality within gizmo would be quick and easy to get up and running on the go.

Absolutely. Compared to other apps, starting music in Gizmo just takes too long, . Multiple clicks, with connection pauses in between, makes it much less attractive than playing music stored on the phone.

I would love a gizmo widget that simply starts playing music when you click play. It could start a generic PD list using our default rules; or it could use 1st Car Radio button or some other method.

Quick and easy for on the go.

rick.ca

« Reply #103 on: September 20, 2012, 03:48:31 pm »

It's unfortunate this design sacrifices elegance, flexibility and function to a gimmick—one that amuses some, but likely lost on many. It is possible to modify, rename and move buttons in the Playlist section, but that requires leaving Playing Now and it still more cumbersome and confusing than it need be. It sacrifices entirely the possibility of attaching a particular set of rules (i.e., a smartlist) to a button, and then being able to provide or change the text 'seed' with every use. For example, having a button for 'highly rated, good quality Rock', and then being able to seed that with an Artist, Style, Year, or whatever.

This may seem like an obtuse criticism for those who are just trying this out. But consider what happens as those buttons fill up over time. Due to the lack of flexibility, they become subtle variations of one another. Even in the unlikely even you can label them concisely and remember what they do, you'll soon run out of buttons. Why can't we enter a seed in the text box and then click a button to combine that with the rules set for that button? Or right-click a button to change the seed and/or modify the rules? Why can't we reorder the buttons by dragging them? Why can't we (optionally) have the buttons appear in any view? Because that's not how a car radio works, and users prefer gimmickry over elegance. ::)

MrHaugen

« Reply #104 on: September 21, 2012, 01:37:26 am »

It's unfortunate this design sacrifices elegance, flexibility and function to a gimmick—one that amuses some, but likely lost on many. It is possible to modify, rename and move buttons in the Playlist section, but that requires leaving Playing Now and it still more cumbersome and confusing than it need be. It sacrifices entirely the possibility of attaching a particular set of rules (i.e., a smartlist) to a button, and then being able to provide or change the text 'seed' with every use. For example, having a button for 'highly rated, good quality Rock', and then being able to seed that with an Artist, Style, Year, or whatever.

This may seem like an obtuse criticism for those who are just trying this out. But consider what happens as those buttons fill up over time. Due to the lack of flexibility, they become subtle variations of one another. Even in the unlikely even you can label them concisely and remember what they do, you'll soon run out of buttons. Why can't we enter a seed in the text box and then click a button to combine that with the rules set for that button? Or right-click a button to change the seed and/or modify the rules? Why can't we reorder the buttons by dragging them? Why can't we (optionally) have the buttons appear in any view? Because that's not how a car radio works, and users prefer gimmickry over elegance. ::)

I could not agree more. It could be much more. I'm not ungrateful of what's there, but there seems to be some unnecessary restrictions, and it's overall a bit to inflexible imo. I supports Rick's suggestions.

And I would like to add that I still think it was a bad quick fix to remove the "No variation" option for the sake of default playback on other devices. It limits the use of the buttons for some.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

Peter_RN

• World Citizen
  • Old Guys Rule... the older I get the better I was.
« Reply #105 on: October 10, 2012, 09:59:48 am »

Could I please ask HOW DO I PERMANENTLY GET RID of this feature? I delete it from the Playlist section but it reappears every time I restart the program; and what’s worse it insists on displaying on my streamer. Most things are highly configurable, but this is just irritating.

Thank you

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #106 on: October 10, 2012, 10:02:18 am »

Could I please ask HOW DO I PERMANENTLY GET RID of this feature? I delete it from the Playlist section but it reappears every time I restart the program; and what’s worse it insists on displaying on my streamer. Most things are highly configurable, but this is just irritating.

Thank you

You can't.

Peter_RN

• World Citizen
  • Old Guys Rule... the older I get the better I was.
« Reply #107 on: October 10, 2012, 01:40:27 pm »

I see that’s a shame, thanks Jim.

Any hope that it may in the future be possible to hide it from the list and especially from the streamer?

Many thanks
Peter
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up