INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DLNA-Video: Sony Bravia - lowQ and stuttering  (Read 3650 times)

soundcheck

DLNA-Video: Sony Bravia - lowQ and stuttering
« on: September 02, 2012, 08:04:31 am »

Hi folks.

I just tried the MC DLNA server on latest MC17 again.  I tried MC-DLNA some months back in 12/2011.

It was not working properly (interwork with my Bravia TV) at that time. LowQ video only.

Bob (MC)  promised that MC would be introducing their own engines soon and things would get better.  

I returned to or better stayed with Serviio (Serviio I mentioned over here as reference already in the 2011 discussion). And I'm still running it.
Serviio runs pretty stable at highest video quality on SONY equipment. (They do a pretty good job, considering its freeware.)
Serviio reads and transcodes (where necessary) pretty much all containers and formats and delivers better video quality
then MC in my setup.

Now I'm back to see what - if anything - happened over here during the last months (almost a year).

Since I use MC on my PCs anyhow (since 2007) and I'm very happy with its overall performance and flexibility,
I'd really like to use it as DLNA server.

I've been trying now to playback native .m2ts files quickly.  

I've been using the option "MPEG2/DVD/PAL with MPEG2 Audio".

Result:

Picture is stuttering ( camera moves are pretty choppy) and video quality is quite low -- it looks as if nothing has changed in almost a year.
Almost none of the other options are working at all. Pretty much the same thing all over the place.
I do not find any more parameters to tailor my transcoding setup.

I'm quite disappointed to see almost no progress in this area after all this time.  ( Or I'm just not able to figure out how to configure it)
My Sony would allow for a much better quality if the DLNA server would offer it. (I think I've seen similar feedback from Samsung users)

>:(

Qs:
What can be expected in MC18 in that area? Is there any progress in that area?
How can I accomplish similar to Serviio highest Q - stutterfree - playback (video and audio) on my Sony Bravia with MC?
Can I do some more parameter finetuning somewhere else - nowadays?
Are there any server performance issues to be expected ?? ( Would a better graphic adapter support faster and better quality transcoding???)
Can I or do I have to use Red October HQ instead of Red October for best video quality ?? ( I could hook up a fast GPU on my server)

Any hints are welcome.

THX a lot.

soundcheck

Re: DLNA-Video: Sony Bravia - lowQ and stuttering video
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 09:00:12 am »

FYI: Serviio converts pretty much all my .m2ts stuff  (by using ffmpeg) to

mpeg2ts - container
mpeg2video
maxbitrate 17000 (important for native rips higher then that bitrate)
ac3 at bitrate 384 and
16:9 aspect

That gives best quality videos. They use the max bandwidth allowed by the TV.

I don't know what's behind all those MC conversion rules. I could not find any description. I'd love to be able to max out MC video performance though.

Would it be possible to set some advanced parameter options as shown above? Or is there a profile already covering it?

Let's assume that the MC offered profiles won't cover all scenarios (that's IMO impossible - I do have some experience in this area).

To avoid really compromised video and audio quality, we URGENTLY need a much more flexible way to setup conversion/transcoding rules (rule-groups) for particular or a group of
containers/formats and renderers.   

THX a lot.

soundcheck

Re: DLNA-Video: Sony Bravia - lowQ and stuttering
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 01:20:28 am »

Bump.

Not anybody interested in this!?!??!  ?

Nobody cares about high video quality via DLNA? Can't believe it.

It's probably just a parameter that needs to be changed/introduced.

(BTW: It's well known ( should also be known by MC team)  what ffmpeg options Serviio uses for transcoding to achieve best quality video)

Guys put some priority on this. This IMO key issue is around for almost a year by now. Meanwhile you IMO beat Serviio on many other aspects.

But on video quality you fail - at least from my perspective. Maybe I missed something (again). So - why not talk about it!??!

THX
Pages: [1]   Go Up