INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DLNA-General: Converting/transcoding cache to ramdisk??  (Read 2727 times)

soundcheck

DLNA-General: Converting/transcoding cache to ramdisk??
« on: September 02, 2012, 11:44:41 am »

Hi folks.

I'm running a 2GB ramdisk from Dataram (allows 4GB free of charge) on my server. All my temporary (Firefox cache, etc.) stuff is loaded on there. I got an overal ramsize of 8GB on the server.
There's plenty of room left.

Now I'd like to figure out if MC can also take advantage from that ramdisk.

Question:

When transcoding pictures/audio/video, while running MC as DLNA server, where does MC store the cache data?  

Is MC actually using those conversion cache locations as they're setup in the options menu??  

If yes. It might make sense to change cache locations to the RAMDISK. I'd expect much less HDD traffic, much higher speed, less wear-down effects.

THX a lot

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: DLNA-General: Converting/transcoding cache to ramdisk??
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 11:38:13 am »

AppData->Roaming->J River->Media Center 1x->Temp

soundcheck

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 01:38:28 am »

Thx. That worked.

I've seen the cache is growing slowly but surely. I'm wondering if there's a limit!?!? 
I saw somewhere in the settings a cache limit of 512MB!??! Does this apply for the video roaming cache too??

I got 2GB on my ramdrive reserverd - that'd be too small if you want to cache a 20GB video!?!?

soundcheck

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 07:01:04 am »

I now know that the cache writes the disk (my ram cache )  full and hangs up the whole server.

MC doesn't seem to have a mechanism (like a circular buffer) built-in for videos/dlna-videos that limits
the cache file to grow above a certain limit respectively that avoids that the disk gets flooded.

That now means that a. I can't use my rather limited and small ramdisk or SSD as cache (I'm talking about up to 25GB video files)  and b. my disk and/or SSD do face heavy, large
temporary cache conversion transactions all the time.

That's a pity.  

Maybe you guys can do something about it!?!?

P.S: In the "RAW image conversion cache" section you offer a configurable cache limit already.

JohnT

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 08:25:45 am »

It generally only keeps one or two transcoding video files around, and has good rules for when to delete them.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

soundcheck

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 09:16:53 am »

Sorry for not explaining properly what I'm after.

From what I see is that while a file gets transcoded at the same time that temporary file  is taken for playback.

The transcoding process neither checks if the filesystem gets filled up with the temporary file, it just runs into the stall scenario.
Nor there is a method that allows for a ringbuffer kind of setup, that would allow for setting a maximum cache size.

JohnT

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2012, 09:24:26 am »

Sorry for not explaining properly what I'm after.

From what I see is that while a file gets transcoded at the same time that temporary file  is taken for playback.

The transcoding process neither checks if the filesystem gets filled up with the temporary file, it just runs into the stall scenario.
Nor there is a method that allows for a ringbuffer kind of setup, that would allow for setting a maximum cache size.
MC shouldn't fill up the filesystem, we'll check that out and fix the bug.  Implementing a circular buffer would be an enhancement that we can discuss for MC18.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up