INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is playing via NAS while controlling with MC possible?  (Read 1770 times)

• Recent member
Is playing via NAS while controlling with MC possible?
« on: September 03, 2012, 01:54:41 pm »

This is my first post...

I have a PC running 7/64 with MC17 loaded, works fine, just added a Synology DS212 NAS drive, I have my music backed up on the NAS and can see it from MC.

So here's what I want to do: I want to use MC on my PC or Gizmo to control/play the music on the NAS outputting directly from the NAS via USB into my DAC.

No problem getting the music from NAS to DAC using the NAS/synolgy audio software.... I just can't see a way to let MC call the shots.  

Hope I've explianed this clearly enough.

Thanks for reading!

csimon

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Is playing via NAS while controlling with MC possible?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 05:44:05 am »

No, the Synology is not a DLNA renderer and JRiver is not able to see it as a device it can control or send music to. It is only a DLNA server.

The only way (currently) that you can get music out of its USB socket is to use Synology's own media-player software that is running on the server.

I think the best route to achieve this is to lobby Synology to expose the NAS unit as a DLNA renderer, with output going to the USB socket.

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 06:49:08 am »

So that raises the question: Are there currently any NAS drives that can be used as a DLNA server with MC?

csimon

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 06:56:22 am »

The Synology is a DLNA server.  Do you mean a DLNA renderer so that you can send music to it?

At the moment, you can use MC on your PC or Gizmo to browse the music on your Synology NAS and play that music either on MC itself, on the handheld device you are using, or on another DLNA renderer.

Can you be a bit clearer on what you want to do?  Is your USB DAC connected to the Synology or to your PC? And where does the music reside that tyou want to play - is it on the MC PC or is it on the synology (you said that the Synology holds a backup of the music - presumably the originals are on the MC PC?).

ajowers

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2012, 10:20:35 am »

I have a HTPC runing theater mode.  It has plenty of disk space to warehouse all the media there.

As an experiment however, I migrated my entire library to my Seagate NAS over a gigabit wired network.  I cleared my library and reset the import folders to point to a share on the NAS unit.  I then imported and rebuilt my library within minutes.

I then used the system this way for 4 months playing audio and video and never noticed a single hickup or glitch.

I am confident that your library can be a share on a NAS, meaning that the "player/server" only needs a smaller boot drive like an 120GB SSD for example.  I think that a wired connection is probably a requirement for the most reliable playback in this set up.
Pages: [1]   Go Up