INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What to consider with a TV mainly for MC DLNA playback?  (Read 5354 times)

MrHaugen

• Citizen of the Universe
What to consider with a TV mainly for MC DLNA playback?
« on: September 04, 2012, 05:32:10 am »

I'm going to get a TV for my workout room. So I can have something nice to watch while taking a run. Why not look at something nice when you try to find that six pack again? :) It'll be mostly used as playback with DLNA from MC I think. Perhaps some other Smart TV functions.

What do I have to consider here? Are there much differences in DLNA rendering? Are there models that can't do 1080P, are there models that can receive voice commands or gestures? What about sound? I think I'm just gonna use headphones connected to the TV. The server can transform all sound from different new formats to stereo? Or do I have to have some kind of receiver?

Picture quality is not of a high importance. How the playback experience with DLNA and other smart functions is. Do you guys have some suggestion as to what manufacturer to aim for, and perhaps some models?
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

sunfire7

Re: What to consider with a TV mainly for MC DLNA playback?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 02:21:40 pm »

I have a samsung smart tv, but only tested the DNLA with audio, what do you want me to test for you? I'll later add the model I don't remember it right now  :)
Happy licensed MC 15-19 User :)
Mac version early bird
My english is not perfect! My native lang is spanish

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 02:40:10 pm »

You want to find a TV that can do time-based seeking in a video stream.  The PS3 does this for example, and it makes video playback work really great.

Unfortunately, I don't know what televisions support this.

You could also stick a cheap HTPC next to any television.  I play NBA2k from my PC while running on the treadmill.  It turns a chore into something fun.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

MrHaugen

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 03:55:02 pm »

Time-based seeking is a good tip. I'll try to do some searches. I'm afraid I can not afford a HTPC as well as an expensice threadmill and a TV :) So, I'll have to deal with a TV with DLNA for now. I'll almost exclusively use it for TV Shows and movies, so I don't really need much else than a good DLNA implemantation. But I would like to try some smart functions if they are good.

As for the Samsung TV's, I do think that they are one of the manufacturers that have come furthest with their "smart" software. The have some new smart hub system which gives you voice control and other nice stuff. I'm just not sure it competitors have similar things.  And I'm generally very skeptical of how this software really is. I envision a horrible slow and painful experience overall :(

MrHaugen

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 05:33:04 am »

I have a samsung smart tv, but only tested the DNLA with audio, what do you want me to test for you? I'll later add the model I don't remember it right now  :)

Is it one of the newer models with the smart hub? Could you check how well it does playback of video content? How fast it reacts, if the seeking works ok and so on? I'm basically interested in if the DLNA playback would be ok in regular use, or if I would sick to my stomach each time I want to play a video during my workout. In comparison to Theater View playback that is... If the latter is the case, I can just save up to a HTPC right away :)

sunfire7

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 02:22:25 pm »

Is it one of the newer models with the smart hub? Could you check how well it does playback of video content? How fast it reacts, if the seeking works OK and so on? I'm basically interested in if the DLNA playback would be OK in regular use, or if I would sick to my stomach each time I want to play a video during my workout. In comparison to Theater View playback that is... If the latter is the case, I can just save up to a HTPC right away :)
Well, its a samsung LED 3D D6450 55'', purchased one year ago.

It's a great TV and I'm very pleased with the image quality and colors, it's very thin and light...  It has smart hub (facebook, twitter, netflix.. etc etc) it's a bit slow compared to a PC but it gets the job done.  I don't use it because I have an HTPC but my cousins are always there.  It can read MKV's from usb stick or HD, the 3D its great, etc etc.

in the DNLA sides:
Audio and Images works perfectly with MC, you can browse your library from the TV or as a zone from MC or JRemote, etc.  The bad thing comes with video support, I don't know if it's a MC or TV Weakness (I bet it's an MC thing) but video doesn't work at all.
Happy licensed MC 15-19 User :)
Mac version early bird
My english is not perfect! My native lang is spanish

MrHaugen

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2012, 01:33:20 am »

The bad thing comes with video support, I don't know if it's a MC or TV Weakness (I bet it's an MC thing) but video doesn't work at all.

Oh my. That's a problem. Have others gotten Samsung smart hub DLNA with video to work?

Jong

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2012, 03:28:25 am »

Video works fine on my UE22ES5400 using the specific "Samsung TV" dlna profile. If you "do it just right" it can even play transcoded blu-rays (MC sees to have a problem with mounting a .iso to play on a dlna renderer (http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=73653.0). It's SD quality MPEG2 though, although it looks pretty good. I don't know if it is the TV that is unable to handle HD and/or AVC/MP4 or if I just haven't found the right way to set up JRiver.

Not sure about seeking. I don't know how to test the capability Matt is talking about. I think I read there is something new in MC18 that might have to do with this. I am still on MC17 so maybe I cannot test?

edit: oops. didn't realise this was a month old when I posted. Sorry for getting to it so late!

Jong

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2012, 03:58:09 am »

This thread inspired me to look into this a bit more.

Vuze quite happily sends 720p x264, with AC3 audio to the Samsung TV. MC17 is transcoding to 720x480 Mpeg2. I have tried to get 720p to work before but was never sure if it was the TV or MC. I will now try a bit harder!

Jong

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2012, 04:12:19 am »

MP4 720p and WMV 720p don't work. AVI 720p does :)

But this is MPEG2 @720p. Is there anyway to get x264 video in another package (other than MP4), because then MC would be able to play x264 720p video (very common for TV) without transcoding (like Vuze).

Jong

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2012, 05:37:57 am »

FFW/REW on the Samsung seems to work very well (transcoding to MPEG2 720p) using left and right arrow keys. See individual frames a few seconds apart, rather than actual speeded up video, but that was to be expected. Only comment would be it is at a fixed, fairly slow speed. Maybe MC should speed up the seek after a few seconds, but I don't know if this is possible within the dnla framework. I'll ask Matt elsewhere.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2012, 03:39:34 am »

MrHaugen, I wonder if you have made a choice and how you're getting along with the new TV.

I may be looking at a similar thing for the bedroom.

Thanks.

MrHaugen

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2012, 03:48:54 am »

I've not decided yet. But I believe it will be a smaller Samsung model with smart hub or what it's called. If that's even possible on the smaller models...

BillyBoyBlue

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2013, 06:21:11 pm »

I use my Panasonic 65 inch "smart" plasma with built-in DLNA and it handles anything I throw at it. Videos, mostly Mpeg 2 & 4, slide shows, mostly JPEG and audio, mostly MP3. These are fed to the tv via a wireless router. The main thing to look for is DLNA compliant which itself is a bit ify in how each tv handles the so-called specification. I have three DLNA capable tvs scattered about the house and while each work, each also handles the files slightly different, but all three sets play the files. In fact I use MC, Windows and WD TV (the little box from Western Digital)  each presenting the files a bit differently, so in effect I have 3 DLNA servers to select from.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2013, 11:38:20 am »

I've not decided yet. But I believe it will be a smaller Samsung model with smart hub or what it's called. If that's even possible on the smaller models...

And? :P

MrHaugen

« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2013, 02:18:10 pm »

Aaah. Well. It's been delayed. Invested in a new receiver instead.
I'll tell you my experience when I finally purchase the right hardware ;) I fear it will be a few months though.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2013, 03:21:19 pm »

Argh you're killing me. Here I thought I could sit back let you do all the work and come back with the ultimate TV for my bedroom. ;)  ;D

BillyBoyBlue

• Recent member
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2013, 03:39:25 pm »

Argh you're killing me. Here I thought I could sit back let you do all the work and come back with the ultimate TV for my bedroom. ;)  ;D

I recently picked up a Samsung Sync Master HDTV TB300 24 inch LCD for just over $200. Works fine with DLNA, its built-in USB to play off external drives directly, easily connects to a wireless network and is a good size, but not too big for a bedroom. I currently have it hooked up to a Western Digital WD live.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2013, 04:24:54 am »

I was hoping to use the WD TV Live on the back of a normal monitor to stream from MC over DLNA as it looks good and works great.... but the ()@#&% think keeps dropping out for exactly this.  So for now I just prop my 10.1 Galaxy Note on the running machine, pair it with some noise cancelling headsets and watch "The Walking Dead" while running (gives plenty of incentive not to slow down and is a good 40min workout)!

I wish I could get the WD TV Live to run correctly as they are cheap and so are 20"+ screens - would make a great combo....if it worked!
JRiver CEO Elect

BillyBoyBlue

• Recent member
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2013, 09:48:10 am »

WD Live streams fine WITHOUT MC. What I do is simply plug it into a tv or monitor, switch to the correct input source and bam, you're done. IF there's an advantage to combining MC and WD to work as a "renderer", I haven't found it and no post I've read explains any advantage either. If such a post exists, somebody enlighten me.

In fact I find MC "dumb" in some regards with respect to playing back files in that you need to add files to the database FIRST, which for some purposes is fine, but a pain in the butt for others. WD simply scans whatever file source you have it can play and shows still images, video and music files and just plays them. No muss, no fuss. Isn't that what most REALLY want?

As far as DLNA (Digital Living Network Alliance) that is just another poorly thought out sometimes even worse implemented scheme that may or may not work as excepted, just like firewire, USB, and any number of other so-called "standards" have their flaws and pitfalls. Read that to mean DLNA works to verying degrees depending on the devices claiming to support it. You best bet getting DLNA to work is look for "DLNA Certified" on both player (ie WD Live) and the device (televison/monitor you expect to play files on.

MrHaugen

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2013, 12:34:03 pm »

So for now I just prop my 10.1 Galaxy Note on the running machine, pair it with some noise cancelling headsets and watch "The Walking Dead" while running (gives plenty of incentive not to slow down and is a good 40min workout)!
That sounds like a good alternative. I'll consider getting my self a pad for that purpose as well.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2013, 03:03:36 pm »

I'm also going to get an HDMI adapter as see how it goes pushing out to a Monitor.  Could make a cheap soln by just using a Monitor with the Tab to drive it (would need one that has speakers and can take Audio over HDMI).
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2013, 08:34:30 pm »

I also grabbed a MHL--> HDMI adapter to connect my Galaxy Note 5" to a 24" Monitor over HDMI.  It works.  I could bring up Gizmo and the phone and watch a movie on the screen with my headphones plugged into the Note.  While it works and would be a solution you can easily see the compromises being made with such a setup even with Gizmo set to High Quality.  The main issue is the judder is very evident (though you may not notice this much if you are running)!  I've also got a MHL adapter on order for my Galaxy Note 10.1 so I'll see if the "quality" is any better (eg the HW on this is more powerful).  Keep in mine with MHL adapters there are many different types to suit to phone.
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2013, 04:15:45 am »

....the other option is I have an "old" PC, GPU, HDD etc so I could just by a Monitor and have "real" PC based playback!
JRiver CEO Elect

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2013, 04:45:13 am »

....the other option is I have an "old" PC, GPU, HDD etc so I could just by a Monitor and have "real" PC based playback!

Seems to me a NUC is ideal for this.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2013, 02:24:45 pm »

NUC would be and I did have a look at it but it is expensive for such an occasional build (over $500 once you have the NUC + Mem + HDD).  I pulled out my old Shuttle this morning but I think the ps blew when I plugged it in... so much for a freebie!
JRiver CEO Elect

HiFiTubes

« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2013, 11:40:02 pm »

I've been meaning to add a TV in a new space. Samsung seems like a good bet, but where is the location in Media Network where you can choose DLNA profiles?

Not a lot of choices where a live, and a lot of Sony stuff here.

I'd like something that shows up as a Zone so I can control with JRemote.
Pages: [1]   Go Up