INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: UNASSIGNED  (Read 2043 times)

Tomr1

• Junior Woodchuck
UNASSIGNED
« on: September 13, 2012, 11:51:11 am »

Why are 1/3 of my music files labled as unassigned and how can I correct this issue?

AoXoMoXoA

• Citizen of the Universe
  • I am a kangaroo . . . . no, really!
Re: UNASSIGNED
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 01:10:03 pm »

labelled as "unassigned" in what tag field?

Artist?
Album?
Name?
or any of dozens of others . . . .

If you just imported those files it seems MC did not detect any tags in those fields marked as "Unassigned".

There are a number of ways to remedy this, but without knowing more details it is hard to recommend anything.
. . . the game is rigged

Tomr1

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 03:30:41 pm »

name,artist,album,genre and album/artist, looking under album in main library

AoXoMoXoA

• I am a kangaroo . . . . no, really!
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 03:42:12 pm »

Sounds like these files were not tagged previously or they are wav files (which do not carry tags within).

You can use MC's "Fill Properties from Filename" function to fill in the tags from the folder names and/or the file names.

Select a file and right-click on it, select 'Library Tools' then choose 'Fill Properties from Filename'
you will have to set up the Template to show MC which Tags you want filled from each section of the file name and folder names. It will show you a preview of the proposed changes in the right pane as you set the Template.

If you are unhappy with the results you can choose Edit-> Undo from the top toolbar or use "Ctrl-Z" to Undo the last change.

I suggest you try a file or two first to test before using this on too many files.

Hope that helps
. . . the game is rigged

mdooney@gmail.com

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 08:04:19 am »

any further news on this topic?  I have the same problem with Naim server.  File looks good e.g. W:\Emmylou Harris\All the Roadrunning\01 - Beachcombing.WAV but when I use Fill Properties from filename all is fine except the 'updating tags' bit never completes.  looks as if MC wants to change something on the server and that's strictly off limits with Naim.  is there any workaround? 

MrHaugen

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 08:21:20 am »

MC needs write access to the share/server. It will try to write tag to the Wav files. If this is not possible to fix, you can try to disable the option "Store tag in files (when possible)" under each of the library fields. You'll have to do this on a lot of fields. And it will possibly create huge problems for you later on. I think it would be easier to try to get write access on the share. What files servers prevents write access anyway?
- I may not always believe what I'm saying
Pages: [1]   Go Up