INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: question about a custom list  (Read 1271 times)

stavrosh

• Recent member
question about a custom list
« on: September 17, 2012, 07:12:46 am »

I have classified my video files with various lists ie movies, podcasts,   tv shows etc. Recently i noticed that in my TV shows list there is a category of "unassigned" files. I guess this is because I did not use any expression to filter the files.

I wonder if any member could suggest an expression to use in the custom view command panel ... in order o avoid the creation of the "unassigned" category

Thanks

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: question about a custom list
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 11:26:37 am »

The "unassigned" value you see is MC's pretty-printed message for the user interface that occurs when there is no value available (i.e. the expression evaluates to empty, or a field contains no value).

It sounds like your classification is not in use for some file types that are being displayed.  Two solutions: either categorize them, or modify the filter for the display to not show those files.  The latter is done via: Tools > Options > Theater View, under Items To Show.  Select the particular category you want to modify, and then click Set rules for file display... and modify the search list to not include said files.  If you are uncertain how to do this, provide a little more specifics about your classifications.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

stavrosh

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 07:03:12 pm »

Thanks for the reply MrC ,  I am using MC set to the standard and not to the Theater Mode ... I understand what you say  but I need some assistance with the expression which will show   only the  files having  the field "Series" filled with a value ( ie series name)  filtering out the files which have a null series field.  I tried a few combinations with the expression type .. but the outcome was a bit disastrous.
        By the way I liked  classifying the files by the series field because the result shows nicely all the series names ( ie Alias season 4, Alias Season 5 ) and further details can be accessed by clicking the series name icon.  In my experiments with the expression type I was getting a long list of file names  !!!

I know that it must be simple .. but the learning curve this moment is rather steep ....

Thanks in advance

Stavros 

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 07:13:22 pm »

Customize the view, and add a Search Rule such as that shown in the attached image.

Here was a similar question/reply, but on a different field (the file path):

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=72492.0
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

stavrosh

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2012, 08:27:47 pm »

Thanks for the guidelines and your time .., I am not getting the series folders as before .. but I believe with some experimentation ....  I might arrive to the desired result 

stavrosh

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 12:06:59 pm »

It seems that I did not understand initially  .. the steps you suggested ... I tried again this morning to filter the "view" options .. and  voila your suggestion worked as a charm, A big thanks to you and the other supporting users of the MC community.
Pages: [1]   Go Up