INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Roman Numeral & other sorting Issues  (Read 2222 times)

Neco

• World Citizen
Roman Numeral & other sorting Issues
« on: September 18, 2012, 01:17:30 pm »

I tried searching but come up with anything on this topic,  but I'm not the best  searcher either..

Anyway,  I was wondering  how/if it is possible to set up MC so it properly takes into account  roman numerals when sorting..

Right now this is strictly an Album Name  issue,  where I have Albums for game soundtracks, such as  Final Fantasy VII,  VIII, and  IX.   For some reason  Final Fantasy IX  is appearing before  Final Fantasy VII  in my Album sort,  although  VIII  does properly follow  VII.

I don't want to have to change them to numerical digits, if I don't have to...

Frankly I still have problems even if I try other methods, such as   "Artist - Album - Year"  I still have albums show up out of order,  some in reverse order, and some show up properly,  and tags have been verified with no weird single tracks having incorrect data, etc

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Roman Numeral & other sorting Issues
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 01:24:31 pm »

Would these albums not have been released in a date sequence that might be used as the sort key?

Sorting by Artist - Album - Year would not provide desired results, because sorting here is based on the character sequence comprised of those fields.  Given an Artist, the Album would be the next sort component, and after that, Year.

Since Roman numerals are just letters, there is nothing special about them; this is why you see IX before VII (i before v, alphabetically).
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 04:16:15 pm »

I use the series tag to group all movies of the same series together. I then use the episode number tag to sequence them if date doesn't do it naturally.

Neco

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 03:14:11 pm »

Bart,  this wasn't really about Movies but  audio albums.  Although I can see where the advice might be helpful (thanks).

MrC,   yes I am aware they are "just letters", but I was inquiring if there was a method I could use to figure them into the sorting pattern,  i.e  perhaps someone had a custom expression that dealt with this.  I have not used Expressions extensively and know little about them,  but I hope to learn more when I have some free time.

Ideally, yes I would expect a Date or  Year  sort to put them in order -  but that still does not sort things properly in my library.   I still have albums coming up before other albums even though they were released after those albums, and as far as I know my dates are tagged correctly..

Of course there are SO many options within Media Center  and so many tags,  that I probably am failing to grasp certain idiosyncrasies the program may have in how it uses this data... I don't know  (i.e  I don't really understand the point of the  "Auto"  tag fields that build themselves based on other tags'  data... I'd rather get rid of / turn off that functionality if possible).

However I think I may have solved my issue, for the time being..

I now use the following sort order

Artist(a-z) > Year (a-z)> Album (a-z)

Although I'm gonna have to modify that into something workable so I can still group series..  Perhaps using Barts suggestion,  since my Final Fantasy Tactics  OST is way off by itself, due to it not being composed by  Nobuo Uematsu, like the other FF albums I have.

I definitely have a lot of work to do in learning how sorting works and how priority is assigned to the various tags you select to sort by and such.. I can already see this spilling over into my  Video library which I will be building up and tagging very soon.   Lots of  related TV Shows / Movies,  some coming out the same year but different months, etc..  Gonna have to learn how to efficiently tag and sort all that  :-[

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2012, 04:31:22 pm »

What type of view are you having trouble with - Panes or Categories?

Can you give more specific examples of how/where sorting isn't working?
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

Neco

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2012, 02:37:26 pm »

Well, I think I got it sorted.    Using a different  tag sorting combination seems to have been the most effective change I used.
I'll experiment with applying a Grouping Tag later,  and that will probably fix any remaining  "annoyances" I have.

At this time I would consider the situation resolved.   I don't think it is anything Media Center is doing wrong at this point (not a bug or anything)

Thanks for your time.
Pages: [1]   Go Up