INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: re: How to change wav file properties in Windows 7  (Read 9964 times)

GermaninLondon

• Recent member
re: How to change wav file properties in Windows 7
« on: September 20, 2012, 09:58:29 pm »

Hello
this is my first post here. I read good things about JRiver so downloaded the 30-day trial version to see how I would get on. So, here is my problem: when the MC copied all my relevant files I noticed two things:
1. Many of my CDs which work perfectly in Windows Media Center had lost their first track. These could then be found at the end under "Unknown artists". I went into my c drive and checked the music folders and files. While all of the files are in the correct folder, many of them had the correct title but then the track name was "1" rather than the title and instead of giving the correct genre, artist and album it just said unknown. This must have happened during ripping. Any way to correct that? Happy to do that manually and then reimport... For whatever reason the microsoft MC worked just fine...
2. Importing my photographs gave me all photographs by date. As most of my photos were in folders in my photo library they now all look messed up. Is there a way to keep the existing folder structure? I could not find that.

I think I will have to sort out these two things first before deciding to purchase the software, which otherwise seems nice.

Any suggestions welcome "GermaninLondon"

rick.ca

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: re: How to change wav file properties in Windows 7
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 10:57:02 pm »

Welcome.

1. I can't tell you why WMC works with incorrect data. As you've discovered, MC doesn't. Be assured it will work fine when the data is corrected. You could confirm that by fixing a few manually. To the extent your files are organized (i.e., in the file system) by Genre, Artist and Album, you will be able to extract that data from any number of files at once using Library Tools > Fill properties from filename. If that's not a compete solution (e.g., Genre is not part of the Filename), you'll find it easier to fix the rest manually by sorting the file list by Filename and 'filling in the blanks' (e.g., a missing Genre will be the same as that in the following track).

2. Images have [Album] set equal to the date on import. I suppose the idea is that might be useful until they're tagged differently. In this case too, you can use Fill properties from filename to extract whatever data is included in the existing filepath. How you deal with this on an ongoing basis depends on how you decide to use MC to organize photos. If there's no other software involved in the process, you might import the images directly from the camera, tag them as you wish, and then use Library Tools > Rename, move and copy files to set new file pathnames based on those values. If that task is to remain with other software, you can use Auto-Import rules to extract data from the pathnames on import (i.e., doing the Fill properties from filename function automatically).

kensn

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2012, 11:07:41 pm »

For your photos, as a quick fix, you can create a view based on location... Create a new view under images, right click and edit the view, and add a File path..

Ken
If(IsEmpty([Coffee Cup]), Coffee, Drink)

GermaninLondon

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2012, 12:27:17 pm »

Thank you Ken and Rick

I have now found the tagging function and am able to merge all my albums correctly and organise my photographs into albums etc (Ken: I only use my PC to show JPGs for slideshows, I use a different software to pp my NEF RAW files and convert them into JPGs).

So this looks promising. Another question: ultimately I do not want to use my current PC for music - I intend to use something quieter. If I were to install JRiver on that other PC and move over my files to the new PC, would I lose my tagging efforts?

A related question, in many ways it would be better to change the file properties themselves in Windows 7 (where the problem is) rather than change tagging. I can rename the files but cannot do anything else. I suppose there is no way to do that?

Kind regards and thanks again GermaninLondon.

rick.ca

Re: How to change wav file properties in Windows 7
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2012, 04:17:19 pm »

If I were to install JRiver on that other PC and move over my files to the new PC, would I lose my tagging efforts?

No. Just create a library backup, and restore that in MC on the new machine. Then, if necessary, update the filepaths using Rename, move & copy files > Update database to point to a new location.

A related question, in many ways it would be better to change the file properties themselves in Windows 7 (where the problem is) rather than change tagging.

I don't know why that would be so. MC will automatically update the file properties (aka 'file tags') according to the Save in file tags setting for each field (see Options > Library and Folders > Manage Library Fields...). That option is probably set for all stock fields normally saved in file tags. Conversely, MC can be configured to automatically update the library for any changes made to the file tags externally (see Options > General > Import and tagging).

GermaninLondon

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2012, 07:55:14 pm »

Rick, I appreciate your quick replies.

Regarding your second answer, does that mean that JRiver MC overrides the file properties I find in my c drive or just that it keeps it tagging correctly forever? I am asking as it doesn't do the former in my case. Is there a special option I have missed? When I said that it would be better to get the properties in the files themselves right, I meant that JRiver would correctly import than anyway and then the file would be corrected forever rather than just the MC tagging.

Another question, I noticed that in Theater View the MC uploaded a lot of pictures to match the artists. Problem: in some cases these are really not the right people (example I have a Claire Martin Jazz record and there must be a lot of Claire Martins out there...). I suspect that the MC just searches the web for pictures named Claire Martin (or any other artist) and then uploads. How can I choose the pictures being shown?

Kind regards GermaninLondon

kensn

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2012, 08:24:59 pm »

To get the most relevant images turn off using Google for them

Options - Theater View - Appearance - Theme - Online media Slideshow and uncheck google...

Ken
If(IsEmpty([Coffee Cup]), Coffee, Drink)

rick.ca

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2012, 01:00:38 am »

Regarding your second answer, does that mean that JRiver MC overrides the file properties I find in my c drive or just that it keeps it tagging correctly forever? I am asking as it doesn't do the former in my case.

You must be referring to the 'Property Details' shown in Windows. I guess those are written by WMC, but I have no idea how they're stored. None of those fields are populated for my MP3's, and they don't seem to be present at all for FLAC's. I'm not sure what relevance they have moving forward. MC writes file tags according to common and accepted standards shared by most media software. I assume WMC will read those, but I have no idea what is does with the data.

If that's not what you're referring to, please explain exactly what it is that's not being written to the file tags by MC.

GermaninLondon

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2012, 12:41:03 pm »

Thanks for all your suggestions.

I am making good progress, including setting the background to simple black in the theater view mode etc.

Regarding theater view, two questions:

1. Can I set up the JRiver MC so that the theater view is the default when I open it rather than going via the view drop down option and then choosing theater view? In other words can I go straight to Theater View when I double click on the JRiver icon and open the MC?
2. Can I minimise the JRiver MC while in Theater View so that I can return to my windows desktop or do I need to leave Theater View and then minimise the JRiver MC itself? The former would be much better and was no problem in the Windows Media Centre.

Thank you GermaninLondon.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2012, 09:36:55 pm »

Tools > Options > Startup > Startup Interface > Mode: Theater View

Try Alt-Tab, tabbing to the Desktop icon.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

GermaninLondon

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2012, 08:35:37 am »

Hello!

I purchased JRiver and will now try to set it up for my needs. I am sure I will have a few more questions along the way. Until then and thanks for all the help already.

GermaninLondon
Pages: [1]   Go Up