INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Moving main library  (Read 4620 times)

audunth

• Citizen of the Universe
Moving main library
« on: October 03, 2012, 10:35:52 am »

Hi,

Why is it still not possible to move the main library to a new location? To move it, I have to clone it to the new location and end up with two libraries, of which one is not used, and I can't delete it either. Not a huge problem, but I like to keep things as neat as possible, which means only keeping the library I actually use, in my desired location.

Any possibility of a fix...?
Cheers,
Audun

My system:
ASUS  P8Z68 V-PRO/GEN3, 8GB RAM, Core i5-2500K
EVGA Nvidia GTX 970 SSC, 4GB RAM
Antec P180 case w/Seasonic X460 fanless PSU, water cooled by Zalman Reserator 1+ w/extra DDC pump
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Sony VPL-HW30ES 3D projector
Yamaha RX-V3900 receiver and custom built 2Ch power amp for front/stereo speakers
Klipsch Reference/SVS 7.1 speaker system
Always running the latest available version of MC

Vocalpoint

Re: Moving main library
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 09:37:09 am »

Hi,

Why is it still not possible to move the main library to a new location? To move it, I have to clone it to the new location and end up with two libraries, of which one is not used, and I can't delete it either. Not a huge problem, but I like to keep things as neat as possible, which means only keeping the library I actually use, in my desired location.

Any possibility of a fix...?

You need to research the Rename/Move Files utility. You can move your entire library where ever you want to. Or you could move the files "outside" of MC (using Windows Explorer for example) and then use this utility to simply "repoint" the DB to the new location.

I have done all sorts of "movement" things with my libs over the years and this utility really can do it all - without any cloning, duplicating or messing around.

Cheers,

VP

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
  • Fight! You may win. If you don't, you already lost
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 05:16:18 pm »

Not sure if you're talking about the same thing. You, vocalpoint, are talking about the files added to the library (like audio, video, photo) which can be moved using the rename, move, & copy files... tool.

I guess what audunth is talking about is the library itself, which is managed via File -> Library.

If I'm guessing right, audunth is pointing out a thing I was wondering about myself, too. As he said:
Not a huge problem, but I like to keep things as neat as possible [...]

The only reason I could guess why MC behaves as it currently does, is that JRiver is going to assure that there is always a default library at a default place. If MC runs into some kind of problems it offers a startup dialog where we can select to make MC use the default library. If it is not there for some reason, this function would not work proper. Maybe for this we are not able to move the default one...

Again:
Not a huge problem, [...]

Vocalpoint

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 07:59:04 pm »

Not sure if you're talking about the same thing. You, vocalpoint, are talking about the files added to the library (like audio, video, photo) which can be moved using the rename, move, & copy files... tool.

I guess what audunth is talking about is the library itself, which is managed via File -> Library.

If I'm guessing right, audunth is pointing out a thing I was wondering about myself, too. As he said: The only reason I could guess why MC behaves as it currently does, is that JRiver is going to assure that there is always a default library at a default place. If MC runs into some kind of problems it offers a startup dialog where we can select to make MC use the default library. If it is not there for some reason, this function would not work proper. Maybe for this we are not able to move the default one...

Hmm...fair enough. But why would anyone actually need to "move" the library files?

I assume the OP has his reasons - but I can't think of any right now. If this is what the OP is getting at - would love to do some learning and find out why a move would be required.

VP

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
  • Fight! You may win. If you don't, you already lost
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 06:10:11 am »

I had my library on an external disc for years. So I could use it with my laptop and my desktop. It also was easier for me to manage the backup. I just copied the whole disk and had a complete backup of media files and library.

Sometimes it may be easier to have the library at, lets say, E:\Library\ instead of C:\Users\Name\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 18\Library when you often manually modify some content of your library files (as I did in the past for easy podcast syncing).

So, there are some reasons  ;)

audunth

Re: Re: Moving main library
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2012, 07:19:02 am »

On my HTPC, I have a backup Windows installation on a separate hard drive in case the main drive should fail. If the hard drive crashes (or a new driver or update gives you a BSOD), you can be darn sure it happens when you have a bunch of friends over and warm pizza on the table! In my case, I'm always just a restart away if that should happen.

Because of that, my library has to reside on a third drive/partition, so that it's always updated no matter which of the two Windows installations I use.
Cheers,
Audun

My system:
ASUS  P8Z68 V-PRO/GEN3, 8GB RAM, Core i5-2500K
EVGA Nvidia GTX 970 SSC, 4GB RAM
Antec P180 case w/Seasonic X460 fanless PSU, water cooled by Zalman Reserator 1+ w/extra DDC pump
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Sony VPL-HW30ES 3D projector
Yamaha RX-V3900 receiver and custom built 2Ch power amp for front/stereo speakers
Klipsch Reference/SVS 7.1 speaker system
Always running the latest available version of MC

AracornRed

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2013, 07:41:41 am »

I was just trying myself to change the Main Library location and come across this thread.  I agree that it would be nice to be able to either change the directory of the main library or remove it altogether (for example if I'm using a different library in a location of my choosing).

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2013, 08:43:33 am »

On my HTPC, I have a backup Windows installation on a separate hard drive in case the main drive should fail. If the hard drive crashes (or a new driver or update gives you a BSOD), you can be darn sure it happens when you have a bunch of friends over and warm pizza on the table! In my case, I'm always just a restart away if that should happen.

Because of that, my library has to reside on a third drive/partition, so that it's always updated no matter which of the two Windows installations I use.

Yep, I was just going to post 2 reasons I could think of:
dual-boot situations and those of us that have small SSD drives for the operating system drive.
With all of the patches Microsoft puts out, a 64GB SSD drive can fill up quick.
I take care to install apps on a different drive, but still a lot of those apps use the %appdata% folder, which is on the SSD.

Vocalpoint

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2013, 09:27:47 am »

Yep, I was just going to post 2 reasons I could think of:
dual-boot situations and those of us that have small SSD drives for the operating system drive. With all of the patches Microsoft puts out, a 64GB SSD drive can fill up quick.
I take care to install apps on a different drive, but still a lot of those apps use the %appdata% folder, which is on the SSD.

Well - I have three SSDs in play here now and the trick to keeping them clean is to move the user folders off the SSD and use it for OS and apps only. Also -  I use a specially built fully patched Windows 7 install disc prior to installing any workstation - this keeps the patches to an absolute minimum.

My three SSDs each have around 20GB of space used and it never fluctuates. All "data" resides elsewhere on much larger SATA hard disks.

I also would never hesitate to install all your apps to the SSD - for best speed and overall performance - plus some apps require an install to be on C:| -

Why have an SSD if you do not intend to use it to it's fullest for all your key software?

VP
Pages: [1]   Go Up