INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gizmo On Cheap Generic Android Tablet  (Read 2467 times)

RussellS

• Galactic Citizen
Gizmo On Cheap Generic Android Tablet
« on: October 07, 2012, 04:05:56 am »

Hi, I have only been using MC for a week or so but I am already blown away by its ease of use and features. The latest thing I am playing with is Gizmo on my Android phone (running ICS). The problem I've always had with my previous HTPC systems is that if I just wanted to play music I had to turn the TV on just to select the music I wanted to play through the amp. What I love about Gizmo is the fact that I don't need to turn on the TV any more and can select anything through the Gizmo interface.

So anyway, what I would like to do now is get an Android tablet to run Gizmo and use it, pretty much exclusively, as a remote to control MC. However, I cannot justify spending hundreds of pounds on a Samsung Galaxy Tab or a Google Nexus etc. What I would like to get is a cheap generic Chinese tablet, of which there are plenty on eBay, because I won't need a dual/quad core CPU and GPS etc. bearing in mind that my Android phone is only a single core 1ghz processor and runs Gizmo absolutely fine.

Does anyone have any advice regarding this and are there tablet CPU systems that Gizmo is known not to work on.

The sort of things I was looking at are these:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7-Android-4-0-4-Tablet-PC-1-2GHZ-Allwinner-A13-Prcsr-4GB-HDD-512MB-DDR3-Bundle-/180981598828?pt=UK_iPad_Tablets_eReaders&hash=item2a23580a6c

or

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/9-CAPACITIVE-MULTI-TOUCH-ANDROID-4-0-TABLET-EPAD-PC-ALL-WINNER-A13-/280947114484?pt=UK_iPad_Tablets_eReaders&hash=item4169c0c1f4

Thanks for any advice

TimothyJB

• Recent member
Re: Gizmo On Cheap Generic Android Tablet
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2012, 09:40:40 am »

I would never trust the generic Android Tablets. No google certification, may not run the play store (would have to hack the apps on, sideload), no promises of updates (you might not want that right now, but something may come up in the future or JRiver may drop support for old versions) and all-around unpredictability. My recommendation is the Nexus 7, super popular 7-inch tablet made by ASUS and google. Supported by google as is part of their Nexus line, supported by developers as has become darn popular. $200. If you really want cheaper, try and find one used.
Pages: [1]   Go Up