INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC Library no longer updating when I rip CD's  (Read 1920 times)

214bobd

• Recent member
MC Library no longer updating when I rip CD's
« on: October 16, 2012, 05:29:20 pm »

I have been using the trial version of MC for one day. The first day ripping went just the way I hoped it would, except for a 3-disk Don Giovanni, which is another issue. After I poked around in settings trying to get Don Giovanni tracks to line up correctly, the Library stopped updating when I ripped a CD. I can see the files in the Windows Library, but they do not show up in MC, even if I drill down in the AUDIO FILES section. I must have changed something, but I cannot see what. I just purchased the full product, just in case that was the problem.

Listener

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: MC Library no longer updating when I rip CD's
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 01:13:55 am »

Start in standard view (Click on "View in the menu at the top and the MC window and then "Standard View".)

In the tree area on the left aside of the MC window, look for the "Recently Ripped" view under "Playlists".  Click on it and you will see a list of tracks from recently ripped CDs.  The most recent files will be at the bottom.  You can customize the columns that are displayed by Right-clicking on a column heading.  Scroll down the list of database fields and click to add a column for a field not checked.

You should be able to see the files from ripped CDs you have ripped.  Look at the database fields such as Artist, Album Artist, Album, Disk #, Track #, genre and name.  Once you know what's in the database fields, you'll know how to find those files in the Audio view or some other view.

You can use the tag window to change any fields that are not correct. (Click on "Edit" and then "Tag" to make the Tag window visible if it isn't already.)  You can select a group of files and then make changes to all those files in the Tag window.

If the fields you want to change are not visible in the Tag window, you can change what Tag are displayed in that window.  At the top of the Tag window, click on the button on the left with a gear and a down arrow.  A list of choices will drop down.  I find that "Show Tags in Current View" is the most useful choice.  This displays the fields that are shown as columns in the file list to the right.

Bill

214bobd

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 06:21:48 pm »

Thanks, but I do not have a Recent Ripped Option under Playlists.

Listener

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 07:50:42 pm »

Thanks, but I do not have a Recent Ripped Option under Playlists.

If you do not have a recently ripped playlist, MC thinks that you have not ripped for the current library.  Here are some reasons why:

- You ripped the CDs with a different library specified as the current one.

- You ripped the CDs on a different computer.

- You ripped the CDs with a different version of MC.

- When you bought the paid version of MC, you might not have installed the license with the trial version of MC.  For example, if you uninstalled the trial version and installed the same or different of version of MC, the new one would not know about previously ripped or imported files.

If you know where the ripped files are located, you can import them (Tools / Import).  If all the files are in folders under a base folder, choose "Import a single folder" and browse to specify the base folder.  After you import the files, MC will jump to the "Recently imported view.  You can then see what tag values are assigned to the files you imported.

If the files are on your PC's drives, you will probably be able to recover without re-ripping the CDs.  Just be sure you understand what's going on before you do something drastic.

Bill

214bobd

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 10:08:36 am »

Thanks for your help. I decided to do a full reinstall, which gave me the option to specify an import folder and file types. Everything came back and the ripping is now updating my library.

I do have one more question. What are the advantages to ripping to a single file? I notice that some people ripping their entire library to a single file as well as some to individual CD's.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 06:15:02 pm »

> "I notice that some people ripping their entire library to a single file"

I don't understand this comment.

When you rip you rip to a audio file format you can select, as far as I know it will rip to individual files to your hard drive for each track on a Audio CD.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA
Pages: [1]   Go Up