INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cannot re-rip CD after removing album from library  (Read 2139 times)

214bobd

• Recent member
Cannot re-rip CD after removing album from library
« on: October 18, 2012, 11:35:51 am »

I find that if I remove an album from my library and then try to rip it again with changed disk information, MC still knows I have already ripped this CD and brings up the recently ripped list, which of course no longer contains the tracks that were removed. The only way I have found to work around this is to clear the entire library and import everything again. Then I can re-rip the CD. That seems like a lot of trouble to me. What am I missing?

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Cannot re-rip CD after removing album from library
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 11:40:06 am »

This is indeed a rough route to take.

MC has a CD database that remembers which CDs it has encountered.  You can just remove the entry from that database if you wish.

Create a smartlist and include the modifier:

Limit database to CD

Then, you can select the CD entry from there and remove the tracks.

But, this begs the question.  Why not just correct the metadata instead of re-ripping?
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

214bobd

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 11:56:54 am »

I didn't know I could edit the metadata on ripped files. Thanks for that tip.

However, while you were replying to my post, I upgraded from MC17 to MC18 and voila', I could then re-rip the CD in question.

MrC

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 11:58:58 am »

You can re-rip without removing the entry in the CD database, by the way.  It sounds like you just need to navigate back to Drives & Devices and go from there.

214bobd

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 01:28:07 pm »

But, this begs the question.  Why not just correct the metadata instead of re-ripping?

I can see how to edit disk information during ripping, but I cannot find how to change it after it is the database. I looked in Library Tools but I can't quite see how to do this. Can you direct me?

Thanks

MrC

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 03:10:51 pm »

Create an Audio view that includes the CD database.  We'll use the existing Albums view for this.  You can customize it later.

1. Open the Audio section the tree.
2. Drag the view named Album onto Audio - this will present an option to Copy or Move.  Select Copy.
3. Right-click the new Album (1) view, and Rename.  Call it CDs.
3. Right-click CDs, and Customize view.
4. Change the View As to Panes.
5. Click Set rules for file display... and then click the Import/Export button.
6. Paste the query below into the Smartlist rule data text area, and OK your way out:

[Media Type]=[Audio] -[Volume Name]=[HT] ~d=c ~sort=[Date Created],[Track #],[Filename],[Disc #],[File Type],[Album Artist (auto)],[Album],[Name]

7.  MC will ask if you want to Save as a new view, or Overwrite.  You can Overwrite, since we already copied the view.

Now, you have a view that shows the CD entries.  You can also modify the smartlist rule above to include the ripped tracks too.  Just change the ~d=c  to ~d=cm and ripped tracks will also be included.

Changing metadata for any of these entries is identical - use the Action Window > Tag, or you can edit in place, in any given cell or pane value.

This should get you started...
Pages: [1]   Go Up