INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cambridge Stream Magic 6 device <= PC Win 7 <= iPad app (does it do?)  (Read 11198 times)

sp33dy

• Recent member

Hi,

Jumping straight in here, having purchased a Cambridge Stream Magic 6 device (which is fantastic), but completely disheartened by the Stream Magic App (it really sucks and quite buggy). I've tried numerous uPnP servers (Asset, xbmc, Serviio, Tversity) to name a few with the App, but it's the App, not the server!

I then thought I'd try J River Media Center.. Oh my! Oh my goodness. What a great looking product, highly rich in functionality (exactly what I like, as I enjoy tweaking things).

I then discovered the 'Send to' option from the Win7 center. Oh my! It controls my Stream Magic 6 device as-is! I'd love to make it default to playing to this, rather than my PC (is that possible? I will continue to look, so will probably find out for myself). It looks as if this is going to be a purchase for me! Although, I love the way it found all my Music, which is darn annoying as I want to insert audio files as and when I want to. I've just found out how to create a new library; so will play with that.

Why am I muttering on?? Well, I thought I do a quick google and stumbled upon the JRiver Media App for iPad. Before I go purchasing the App. Can someone tell me if I can drive my Streamer Magic 6 device (uPnP/DLNA) from this iPad app? My intention was always to use the iPad as the remote control around the house. Does it do what I require? Can it be set to always control that device rather than trying to play to the iPad???

Any help would be appreciated and well done for a great product!!!

Kind regards

Carl

sp33dy

• Recent member
Re: Cambridge Stream Magic 6 device <= PC Win 7 <= iPad app (does it do?)
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 06:15:10 am »

The MC is so good, I've just purchased the App and will buy MC later today... Thanks for an awesome MC product, the App doesn't look as good (yet, I guess). I was hoping (stupidly, for the 3D artwork). However, it does have control!!

pakirk

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2012, 07:50:18 pm »

Hi Carl.
I have just purchased a Stream magic 6. This is why I also purchased MC for two reasons.

You can use the SM6 as a sound card direct from the PC.
Set the USB on SM6 to USB2. ~Install drivers.
In MC set the audio to output to ASIO. This overrides windows kernal mixing and mucking about.
You get direct (RAW) data from MC to the SM6 the sound quality is ausom.
MC rips to FLAC. MS6 loves FLAC.
This is a loss-less format and yes YES you can tell the differences compared to MP3 or any other format.
I now have to rip all my several thousand CDs again to FLAC. This is slower then riping to MP3 so it appears but well worth the effort.

I tried to use SM6 on my android Galaxy tab2 but was not good so a got an ipad and all works much better.

please update on how you are getting on with your SM6 i think it is fantastic.

Regards
Anthony

j-mo

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2012, 01:27:02 pm »

Hello,

I am a newbie with JR MC and I love it.  I am planning to buy the CA Steam Magic 6, just finishing up the last bit research. My only hesitation is I have read that the CA Ipad app is very buggy.  This thread is giving me hope that I can control the SM 6 with JR MC and/or J Remote.

Anthony and Carl - I'm hoping one of you or someone can comment here?  Are you able to control the SM6 with JR MC and J remote?

thanks!
Jay
Pages: [1]   Go Up