INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Linked Zones using Tremote  (Read 1138 times)

dtc

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Linked Zones using Tremote
« on: October 08, 2012, 09:07:41 am »

It MC17, linked zones were synced between each track. When using Tremote, this could cause a long delay between tracks and a stutter at the start of a track. To alleviate that, in MC18 the syncing was changed to avoid the long details. I have done a few tests on MC18 and the long delays between tracks are gone. However, there are a couple of problems with the new method.

The "syncing" seems to happen in the middle of a track, which causes a hiccup in the music. That makes the playback pretty much unusable. It seems like any syncing should be done between tracks, not during a track.

The client and server are out of sync by as much as 4 or 5 seconds when the first track starts. That timing seems independent of the link timing setting. That means that the 2 linked zones never really get synced. The client always seems to lag the server. IN MC17 I could use link timing to sync the 2 zones pretty well.

When adjusting the link timing setting, it does not seem that the adjustment is always remembered. If I adjust the timing and hit OK, ,then try it again, sometimes the old setting is still present and sometimes the new one is there. I have not seem a pattern, but I have only tried it a few times.

So, the new method has eliminated the buffering between tracks, but has introduced some other issues. I have only tried this a few times, but the results are consistent. I will do some more testing.

I am using build 51. Both systems are W7. The server is a Netbook and the client is an i5 desktop. Connection is wireless and it works fine for Tremote without linked zones. Both systems are using WASAPI - Event Style. Playback Silence at the Beginning of Track for Hardware Sync is set a 1 second. Memory playback is not being used.

Thanks.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Linked Zones using Tremote
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 03:59:38 pm »

Just updated to build 63. Again, this is using Tremote and linked zones.

The skips due to syncing during tracks are gone. It seems that the syncing is now being done between tracks. Thanks.

The sync timing difference is down to 1 to 2 seconds. However, the Adjust Link Timing pop-up only works very sporadically. I would say 4 out of 5 times, when I click Save and come back, the change is not made. It really seems like the adjust timing box is not working regularly. Given that, it is hard to know if the actual timing sync option is really working or not. I have not been able to get the sync better than 1 or 2 seconds on a regular basis.

Matt - when the box to adjust the timing is working, do you expect that the syncing can be routinely maintained at 1 sec or better, or is that just the limit of the syncing process. Thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up