INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: High Definition Cover Art  (Read 5168 times)

styxx10

• Junior Woodchuck
High Definition Cover Art
« on: October 21, 2013, 06:22:04 pm »

Hi,
Just would like to know if anyone has tips or tricks on how to get the Best quality cover art to display.
I stream my music (Fl ac,Wav etc via the network) through to my Amp (Yamaha Rx-A1000) displaying
the music that's playing and the Cover Art onto my TV Samsung Smart TV.

The Cover art is at best ordinary or blurry.Not sure if the problem lies on the embed ed Artwork or if I can perhaps
change something that when the Cover downloads to get a clearer image to display......Any suggestions greatly
appreciated.

Arindelle

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: High Definition Cover Art
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 06:38:21 am »

This is caused because you have embedded low res images in your files undoubtedly.

I set up a link in my (through Manage Links) call it Cover Art or something like that

set Base url to https://www.google.com

and paste this into the searchurl box (see this post for details http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=83371.msg569132#msg569132... all thanks go to "6233638" and Mr. C)

Code: [Select]
https:////www.google.com//search?as_st=y&tbm=isch&as_q=Hexify([Album Artist (auto)] [Album])&safe=images&tbs=isz:lt,islt:2mp,iar:s,imgo:1&biw=1920&bih=984
and set to open in new window

This will open google images for 2mp images -- you won't get hits very often, but use the dropdown menu in google where it says larger the 2MP and set it to Large. Still no hits just set it to medium.

I try never to use images less than 500px X 500px and try to use 1000X1000. Huge files are not necessary IMHO but under 600x600px on a good big screen its not going to look that great.

Down load it renaming the to folder.jpg and simply use the Cover Art tools (right click on the files selected) and you should be set to go.

vagskal

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 11:10:32 am »

Are you using DLNA? If I do, I get only low res cover art pushed and shown on my renders (Squeezeboxes and associated apps).

Arindelle

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2013, 11:38:07 am »

Are you using DLNA? If I do, I get only low res cover art pushed and shown on my renders (Squeezeboxes and associated apps).
I think this can be fixed easily if this is the case.

Go=>Options=>Media Network=>Client Options=>Image Conversion and then set a forced high resolution. This of course works if the original file is big enough. Otherwise the "upsampled" image would look even worse.

vagskal

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2013, 11:43:16 am »

I think those Client Options are only applicable when playing to an MC client using MC Media Server, not when using DLNA. My option is set to Original.

styxx10

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2013, 12:28:17 am »

Thanks for the responses, will try some of the suggestions.

Thanks for the link Arindelle, was something I have played with previously, still can't get it to just download though.
My recollection of J River was the earlier versions a re questor opened giving you the option to just click and use the image as
the Cover Art, something that is missing in later versions. Still can manage to copy and paste the larger Cover Art.
Thanks again.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2013, 04:28:32 am »

The DLNA specifications allow Control Point and Digital Media Servers to offer album art in various pixel sizes small, medium, large (i.e. resolutions).

And last time that I looked at it I think MC was indeed offering all those sizes, and is indeed capable of serving all those sizes.

The problem is with the renderers (as usual). Many renderers cannot handle medium and large size images. And many renderers will only (try to) display the first image offered (whatever size that may be). So MC's strategy to try to support as many renderers as possible is to always offer the smallest image first.

{ Apropos Whitebear: this parses all the image sizes offered by the Control Point or Digital Media Server, and it selects the largest size out of what is offered regardless of the order in which they are offered. So if you see only a small size / low res image, then it is possible that MC may have changed its behaviour since I last looked into the topic. Perhaps one of the JRiver guys can comment on this? }

Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

Arindelle

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2013, 04:31:30 am »

I think those Client Options are only applicable when playing to an MC client using MC Media Server, not when using DLNA. My option is set to Original.
ah just tried it over DLNA and you are right .. sorry about misleading anyone

MikeO

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2013, 07:53:06 am »

Hi

When I converted my CD library , I scanned covers etc at 1500 x1500 JPEG set at level 12 , around a 1 mb file

I display these through theatre view onto my 60 in Samsung Smart TV and they are pin sharp.

On the other hand some "folders" attached to downloaded files look dreadful . All back to the source methinks  :)

Mike

vagskal

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2013, 12:45:23 pm »

{ Apropos Whitebear: this parses all the image sizes offered by the Control Point or Digital Media Server, and it selects the largest size out of what is offered regardless of the order in which they are offered. So if you see only a small size / low res image, then it is possible that MC may have changed its behaviour since I last looked into the topic. Perhaps one of the JRiver guys can comment on this? }

Do you get high res images shown in iPeng when playing to Squeezeboxes via Whitebear? I never have, and I remember a discussion about this with one of the MC developers (Bob, perhaps) where I provided info on the dimensions used by iPeng, so maybe it is on the to do-list.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2013, 02:51:33 am »

Do you get high res images shown in iPeng when playing to Squeezeboxes via Whitebear?

Let me have a look into this. (I am hardly using my Squeezeboxes any more...)
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm
Pages: [1]   Go Up