INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MediaCenter 17 Registry Image Values Incompatible with Outlook 2010  (Read 5723 times)

Hank

• Recent member

PROBLEM:
MediaCenter 17 changes Image Windows Registry values to those that Outlook 2010 Email cannot understand. The result is empty images or text dumps in emails.

DISCRIPTION:
Media Center 17 changes HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT of basic image types to values so that Outlook 2010 emails cannot understand they image type. The result is, when sending a local image in Outlook, you or your recipients cannot see the image, or it will be a textual dump.  Yahoo email works fine, but not Outlook. A local image cannot be sent properly in Outlook email because does not understand default registry values when it tries to send an image.  I worked with Microsoft earlier this year, before installing MediaCenter 17, to fix this after another application changed the default type.
I have included screen shots of the registry before and after Media Center 17 installation.

FIX PLEASE:
My ask, please return the default image types to Microsoft’s standard values so that I can again send emails using Microsoft Outlook.

Thank you and regards,

Hank Pajak

Hank

• Recent member
Re: MediaCenter 17 Registry Image Values Incompatible with Outlook 2010
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 10:23:29 am »

Here are values before Media 17 installation.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 10:27:00 am »

I don't think there is an MC problem here.

You can tell MC not to associate with jpg files.  Tools/Options/Filetypes.

Set file association to any other program you wish.

Hank

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 10:43:14 am »

Thanks for the reply. If someone does elect for the defult MC 17 installation option, Outlook 2010 will no longer send images properly. Even after clicking
"no" to associating .jpg with MC, the default registry value is back, but the other values aren't.  Someone must manually edit the registry.

Regards,

Hank

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 02:12:05 pm »

I quickly tested it although I am running Outlook 2013 and MC18. MC18 seems to do the same thing MC17 does in your situation. I exported the jpg registry before associating jpg to MC18.

Code: [Select]
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.jpg]
"Content Type"="image/jpeg"
@="jpegfile"
"PerceivedType"="image"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.jpg\OpenWithList]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.jpg\OpenWithList\ois.exe]
@=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.jpg\OpenWithProgids]
"jpegfile"=""
"Paint.NET.1"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.jpg\PersistentHandler]
@="{098f2470-bae0-11cd-b579-08002b30bfeb}"

I was able to send my other email address an email with a jpg attached.

After associating jpg:

Code: [Select]
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.jpg]
"Content Type"=""
@="MediaCenter.18.File"
"PerceivedType"=""
"MediaCenter.18.Default.BAK"="jpegfile"
"MediaCenter.18.PerceivedType.BAK"="image"
"MediaCenter.18.ContentType.BAK"="image/jpeg"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.jpg\OpenWithList]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.jpg\OpenWithList\ois.exe]
@=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.jpg\OpenWithProgids]
"jpegfile"=""
"Paint.NET.1"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.jpg\PersistentHandler]
@="{098f2470-bae0-11cd-b579-08002b30bfeb}"

I am still able to send myself an email with jpg attached. I tried both inline and as an attachment.

All I can think of is some addin/plugin interfering in your case. You could try disabling any addins from File/Options/Add-Ins and disabling them there.

Hank

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2012, 02:37:30 pm »

Thanks for looking into it.

I just did a test here sending images off to myself and my wife - it works with the stock Windows Registry settings (the ones in my attachment). Perhaps the problem could be an addon but I have no test case to prove that. When I worked with Microsoft to fix the same problem in January, before installing MC17, the MS engineer tried for days to find what was causing the local image types only problem behavior. We reinstalled Office too as well as IE. When he changed those registry settings back - it worked immediately.

Regards,

Hank

Hank

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2012, 02:48:42 pm »

One other thought is that the problem fix may have made it to the new Outlook but  not re-released in the 2010 version.  My previous Outlook 2003 also failed.  I was seaching for a fix, so I bought Outlook 2010. It didn't work. Within my warrenty period,  Microsoft worked on it with me for 4 days before finding the fix.

- Hank

Hank

• Recent member

I installed Media Center 20 before the holidays. 

During the holidays, I sent several Christmas holiday pictures to my family using Outlook 2010.  My wife uses the Time Warner "webmail.rochester.rr.com" interface to get her mail and not Outtook. Instead of seeing the .jpg images, she saw a file of hex characters.  After exploring various thoughts to remedy the situation, a light went on:  The last time that strange behavior happened with Outlook 2010, I had installed Media Center 17. Microsoft engineering support found that MC17  had changed the Windows registry values for the .jpg as noted in my posts back then. Here is another email problem with images: I also just installed Media Center 20 too!  Hmmmm....

For the Media Center 17 problem, it only took assigning program responsibility for jpgs and other image types to a different application than Media Center so that the registry values for those image types were factory Microsoft. For Media Center 20, I had no program/file assignments with Media Center, so this time I just deleted all of Media Center 20.  Walla! - Problem gone. My wife and and my daughters, who use Gmail, didn't see hex characters anymore, they saw the actual images.

Given the history of Media Center 17 and MS Outlook's interaction with image file types and the registry, I strongly suspect that Media Center 20 is again changing the registry and Outlook couldn't understand those values properly.  I don't have the time, as I did with a Microsoft Corp. engineer to spend days finding the problem with him remotely debugging my machine. Empirically, the precedent and removing Media Center 20 was enough to say, "enough"  I can't upgrade without this being repaired. (If you look in the original thread, the earlier MC17/Outlook problem was effectively dismissed.) So this post goes out to anyone who might encounter a similar problem with Media Center 20 - Here's my experience!

Regards,

Hank
Pages: [1]   Go Up