INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Development of Gizmo - anything juicy on the roadmap?  (Read 3426 times)

gazjam

• World Citizen
Development of Gizmo - anything juicy on the roadmap?
« on: November 28, 2012, 05:08:41 am »

Understand if you dont want to disclose anything early, just wondering if Gizmo interface will ever be expanded for working better on tablets?

Got a 10" tablet and running Gizmo it sometimes feels as though so much more functionality could be built in making better use of the screen space.
I came from a squeezebox system to JRiver and I used an App called IPENG, which was awesome on a tablet..made great use of the extra space.

Just wondering guys, not having a pop.
I'd pay for an enhanced Gizmo app (Tablet edition? :)) and I reckon a fair few of us tablet owners would too.

Also it would be fantastic if some of the database functionality was built in to Gizmo, for example being able to branch off from a song your playing and explore that artist, other bands of that genre...that kinda thing.

Just thinking out loud, thanks.

MrHaugen

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Development of Gizmo - anything juicy on the roadmap?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 05:25:37 am »

I agree. Gizmo needs some love generally imo. But especially for pads. It could be so much more.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 05:31:11 am »

I agree, Gizmo for iOS, Win8 Metro + expansion to cache and playback local content
JRiver CEO Elect

gazjam

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 06:13:29 am »

Its a Nexus 10 android I have, wonder if its less of a stretch as Gizmo's already 'droid based?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 09:50:20 am »

We've added Play Doctor, audio and video quality selection, and a much improved video experience to Gizmo in v18.

More on v18 changes here:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=74442.0
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

gazjam

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2012, 12:20:45 pm »

All good Matt, nice to know there's development.

Will say again though...
I would pay for an android "Tablet Edition" and I'm sure many others would! ;)

struct

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2012, 06:06:55 pm »

Will say again though...
I would pay for an android "Tablet Edition" and I'm sure many others would! ;)

It has been quite ironic for me that I especially stayed with android for tablet/phone purchase as gizmo was on android.  This seemed to make sense as JRiver would surely make the best app for their own program, right? 

However, the apple apps for jriver all appear to be nicer and have more features than the only android app (haven't actually used them so correct me if wrong).  With JRiver making and continuing Gizmo, I presume we will never see an android competitor? 

I truly think it is legitimate for JRiver to charge something extra for a better tablet and phone app.  It is clearly getting better (have really liked the selectable quality) but it should be the best (i.e. no square pictures for movies and tv shows, etc) and many of us would happily give the extra money to JRiver to ensure this.

Craig

gazjam

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2012, 07:38:06 pm »

JRemote for IOS is similar in functionality to Ipeng which I used for my Squeezebox.
Awesome app.
Fingers n toes crossed for a revamp of Gizmo.
Its all about the User Experience and I feel Gizmo is lagging behind...

We will pay for it Jim...

kamimeguro

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2012, 09:02:50 pm »

+1
Win 10 pro, Oppo 105, Onkyo TX-NR818, Elipson Axial 160, B&W 805S, Linn 5150, Yamaha GT750, Sony KDL-55W900A...

Mike48

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2012, 12:50:02 am »

For those who are looking for improvements to Gizmo on Android . . . For music (only) over DLNA (only), you could consider UPnPlay, a free Android app. It doesn't do everything that Gizmo does, what it does, it does well, and it has features that Gizmo does not . . . such as easily editing a playlist, viewing more metadata on selections, and so on. I have found it to work well with MC.

I'm still hoping for the best of both worlds with an improved version of Gizmo, for which I, also, would be willing to pay a little.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2012, 01:30:53 am »

FYI - I've tried everthing to get JR to implement my very personal wish list of features but believe it or not, I've never seen offers of $ work (and I've tried).  Jim and Matt seem to be motivated by a higher calling.  Mostly Jim's wife... but delivery of Muffins always seem to be well received!  ;D
JRiver CEO Elect

gazjam

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2012, 11:17:09 am »

...(checks delivery costs of a pallet of muffins from Scotland to America...) :)

gazjam

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2012, 11:19:16 am »

For those who are looking for improvements to Gizmo on Android . . . For music (only) over DLNA (only), you could consider UPnPlay, a free Android app. It doesn't do everything that Gizmo does, what it does, it does well, and it has features that Gizmo does not . . . such as easily editing a playlist, viewing more metadata on selections, and so on. I have found it to work well with MC.

I'm still hoping for the best of both worlds with an improved version of Gizmo, for which I, also, would be willing to pay a little.

Cheers Mike, I've downloaded it to my Nexus 10 have a play later.

*EDIT*
Its very good actually :)
As you said, not all the functionality of Gizmo but its not far behind.

Must admit its a much better experience using on a tablet, more information, playlist management(ish), more options on the screen at once...

I cant get the "Browse Artist" to work (which I assume will allow me to branch off to view other albums by the same band) but its not finding anything else by the same Artist.
That got me excited, the thing I miss most from my Squeezebox/Ipeng days but you cant have everything I guess.

Will use it for a few days then go back to gizmo.
One thing I've noticed is that Gizmo is better to use on my 'droid mobile than on my shiney new tablet.
And in terms of functionality is lagging behind what JRiver is capable of.

That's a shame as JRiver is the premium media player for windows imo :(

Mike48

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2012, 12:38:08 am »

(excerpted by Mike48)

Cheers Mike, I've downloaded it to my Nexus 10 have a play later.

Its very good actually :)  As you said, not all the functionality of Gizmo but its not far behind.

Must admit its a much better experience using on a tablet, more information, playlist management(ish), more options on the screen at once...

Glad you found it helpful.  Be sure to call up the help screen. There are some semi-hidden features.

When connected to MC17 or 18, I can't get "Search" to work. However, it does bring up most of the Audio views I have set up in MC. Not sure why not all.

I intend to email the author about the Search function and report back what he says.

<°)))))><

• Junior Woodchuck
  • looking fishy
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2012, 02:22:10 pm »

Lespaul stated he might release an Android version of JRemote next year. If that happens, I guess it
will blow Gizmo out of the water... At least it will be the day I will finally leave the iPad up to my
girlfriend and buy an Android tablet  ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up