INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Desk top cut off on tv  (Read 17337 times)

jsprop

• Recent member
Desk top cut off on tv
« on: November 29, 2012, 11:31:14 am »

I just cant seem to get this one worked out  I'm trying to get the desk top to fit the tv display.   I have the left side of the desk top cut off and cant get it moved over.  I have played with the nvidia divers(Geforce GTS 450) and windows display settings.  Also played with the tv setting but just can get the desktop to fit the screen and not be cut off.

Any have any thoughts on this?

Thanks John

kensn

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Desk top cut off on tv
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 11:47:52 am »

How are you connected? HDMI - RGB ?

The nvidia control panel, under display has an Adjust desktop size and position section. If you go into the size tab and check the Enable desktop resizing and then the resize button you can adjust the size.

Ken
If(IsEmpty([Coffee Cup]), Coffee, Drink)

jsprop

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 12:16:20 pm »

It component at this time but will changing over to HDMI.  I did play with both of those.  I have the left side on the screen but still have 2" on the right side I cant get the desktop to fill.  Its like the center point of the desktop is shifted to the left of the center the display.  If that makes any sense.

mykillk

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 10:21:09 pm »

Have you in the past had a dual monitor setup?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2013, 04:40:26 pm »

This is almost always a setting in your TV.  TVs overscan the television image because older TVs couldn't display truly edge-to-edge (CRTs corrupt the edges of the screen, and cover it up with a plastic bezel).  Because many standalone components expect this (and will otherwise show black bars all around the content on the screen), HDTVs often come preset with an aspect ratio setting that crops off the outer edges of the images they get.

The graphics card drivers also probably have an overscan setting which can solve this., but don't use it if you can help it (keep it at 0% scaling).  That lowers the effective resolution of your panel (it displays windows "smaller" than the full resolution of your monitor).

Instead, look in the settings on your TV itself for Aspect Ratio settings.  Hopefully, you have a proper setting to not crop.  Look for a 1:1, Full, or True setting under Aspect Ratio.  On newer Samsung's it is harder to find, but it is in there somewhere (look under Advanced settings and try things that might make sense).  With luck, the setting will be input-specific, and it won't screw up your other devices (if any).

Settings like 16:9, Zoom, Crop, and other similarly named things often scale the image, which you don't want.  But they're named funky, often.  On a couple Panasonics I have at the office, the "proper" setting is called "Zoom 2", so you never know.  Anything Aspect Ratio related that you aren't sure about, just try.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

jsprop

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2013, 08:56:39 am »

Mykillk,  I did have it set up with more then one display at one time.
Glynor,  It is a Samsung that I'm using.  I'll gone back and check out TV setting again and see if I find anything.

mykillk

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2013, 07:58:34 pm »

Just a guess here, but I'm thinking that Windows still thinks you have a dual monitor setup and so it's sending part of your desktop to a non-existent monitor. You might need to hook up another monitor temporarily to so that you can fix it.

This discussion might be of use:
http://www.sevenforums.com/graphic-cards/199168-reset-dual-monitors.html

Also might be helpful:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/934552

BillT

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2013, 07:55:58 am »

This is almost always a setting in your TV.  TVs overscan the television image because older TVs couldn't display truly edge-to-edge (CRTs corrupt the edges of the screen, and cover it up with a plastic bezel).

Yes, it probably is the TV.

I think it's more that early TVs didn't have stabilised power supplies, so the image size varied with mains voltage or image brightness or the direction of the wind. The cheap practical solution was to overscan the TV; as the edge of the picture wasn't visible, the size changes were much less noticeable. Of course, the edges of CRTs aren't straight, so you either have to accept a black edge (which most viewers don't seem to like - vide all those fat people that were common in the early days of 16:9 TVs, when most broadcasts were 4:3) or have some degree of overscan.

Broadcast CRT monitors (there are still some around, as they're still better than 99% of non CRT displays) are usually underscanned, so blanking problems can be seen; they do have stabilised supplies and shouldn't be over driven though!

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2013, 03:54:43 am »

It is simple, as Glynor says your TV with the current Component connection is setup to use Overscan.  If you can not change the TV's config to 100% (or whatever mode the TV calls it) you only other option is to scale the Windows desktop down in the video card options but this destroys the video quality.  You best bet is HDMI.
JRiver CEO Elect
Pages: [1]   Go Up